Temperature on board?

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in April to the Caribbean! It’s a bit of a delayed honeymoon/anniversary trip. And we are so excited that we’re already now planning outfits. (Ok, that’s just me.) 

My question is about the temperature - we’re from Arizona, so we know people go wild with AC sometimes. I wear a sweatshirt in the summer because of it.

Should we expect the temps on the decks to be chilly? I did see the normal temps for the month to be low 70s / high 80s which is perfect for outdoors, but I wasn't sure how that would feel on the decks.

I did search a bit first but didn't find the answer, which may be a factor of using mobile; apologies if this question has been asked and answered already.

The Caribbean in April should be close to its best -- on open decks you should be comfortable - but I think you will want a wrap or shawl or something when inside, The ships are generally kept pretty cool - and the humidity is very low -- so when you come in from a port or an open deck you will feel a bit of a chill.

• Like 1

Thank you for your response!

22 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The Caribbean in April should be close to its best -- on open decks you should be comfortable - but I think you will want a wrap or shawl or something when inside, The ships are generally kept pretty cool - and the humidity is very low -- so when you come in from a port or an open deck you will feel a bit of a chill.

The magic word will be "layers". 😉 

I'd bring a sweater/cardigan (button or zip, not just an over-the-head) in case it's needed.  Maybe one very light weight, especially if you have a lot of sleeveless tops, and perhaps one heavier.

You might want to carry one of them with you to the dining room (or wherever else you go) in case you need it, especially at the start.  After a while, you'll have a better idea of how the temps (and humidity) are, although that could always be a surprise in common areas.

And don't forget that on outdoor decks, it may be breezy or actually windy, depending upon the speed and direction of both the ship and the wind, regardless of the actual temperature.

And of course, average temperatures are just that, "averages".  What *you* get could be similar or not so much...

At least in April, you shouldn't have to worry about hurricane season.  (That can always make for a lively cruise!)

Hopefully, the weather will be mostly wonderful.  The Caribbean has a "reputation" (a nice one, to be sure) for a reason.

Bring along extras of any meds, in case of any delay, and bring OTC meds, too.  They may be hard to find or very expensive (especially if purchased on the ship), and you also don't want to waste time searching for some common headache med.

And ALWAYS (!!) keep any meds in carry-ons.  NEVER pack those in luggage to be checked, especially if being separated from them will interfere with your trip.  There won't be a CVS on the next corner 24/7 (thank goodness!).

If you haven't already, look for the "Roll Call" for your particular cruise and sign up.  On the main Table Of Contents page of CC, look for "Roll Calls", then your cruiseline, and then the date/destination of your cruise.  There will be others on your cruise starting to interact, perhaps planning to share some excursions, or meeting on board at the beginning of the cruise.

And start browsing the excursions, whether they be sponsored by the cruiseline, or private (that won't be on your cruise itinerary, of course).  Some of the best ones may fill up before the cruise sails.  You can also find more info on the Ports Of Call section of CC.... look for each city/port for discussions of "what to do", etc.

Enjoy! 🙂 

GC

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

The magic word will be "layers". 😉 

I'd bring a sweater/cardigan (button or zip, not just an over-the-head) in case it's needed.  Maybe one very light weight, especially if you have a lot of sleeveless tops, and perhaps one heavier.

You might want to carry one of them with you to the dining room (or wherever else you go) in case you need it, especially at the start.  After a while, you'll have a better idea of how the temps (and humidity) are, although that could always be a surprise in common areas.

And don't forget that on outdoor decks, it may be breezy or actually windy, depending upon the speed and direction of both the ship and the wind, regardless of the actual temperature.

And of course, average temperatures are just that, "averages".  What *you* get could be similar or not so much...

At least in April, you shouldn't have to worry about hurricane season.  (That can always make for a lively cruise!)

Hopefully, the weather will be mostly wonderful.  The Caribbean has a "reputation" (a nice one, to be sure) for a reason.

Bring along extras of any meds, in case of any delay, and bring OTC meds, too.  They may be hard to find or very expensive (especially if purchased on the ship), and you also don't want to waste time searching for some common headache med.

And ALWAYS (!!) keep any meds in carry-ons.  NEVER pack those in luggage to be checked, especially if being separated from them will interfere with your trip.  There won't be a CVS on the next corner 24/7 (thank goodness!).

If you haven't already, look for the "Roll Call" for your particular cruise and sign up.  On the main Table Of Contents page of CC, look for "Roll Calls", then your cruiseline, and then the date/destination of your cruise.  There will be others on your cruise starting to interact, perhaps planning to share some excursions, or meeting on board at the beginning of the cruise.

And start browsing the excursions, whether they be sponsored by the cruiseline, or private (that won't be on your cruise itinerary, of course).  Some of the best ones may fill up before the cruise sails.  You can also find more info on the Ports Of Call section of CC.... look for each city/port for discussions of "what to do", etc.

Enjoy! 🙂 

GC

Thank you for the excellent advice! I hadn’t thought of the OTC meds! Layers it will be for sure as well as planning for a corner drugstore being unavailable.

I always bring a sweater and light jacket even for Caribbean cruises--I usually wear them on the plane as I tend to get cold on planes.

The indoor spaces used to be very, very cold at night on cruises, but I haven't noticed that as much the last few years.  Still, a sweater goes with me to most dinners, or out on deck.