South America cruises in 2023

psygist

Does anyone have any inside information or care to hazard a guess as to whether cruise ships will return to South America in 2023?

I can’t seem to find any information as to what the South American countries are considering at this point. 

We leave Fort Lauderdale on a HAL cruise in mid-Nov, which travels down the west coast of South America, around the Horn to Buenos Aires. All of the ports we visit are open and we have not had any difficulty booking private tours. The ship (Oosterdam) then spends the winter sailing back and forth between Buenos Aires and San Antonio (Santiago), Chile.

HAL has a full range of South American cruises sailing in 2024, including their Grand South America cruise which departs on a 74-day trip completely around South America in Jan/24.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:01 AM, psygist said:

Does anyone have any inside information or care to hazard a guess as to whether cruise ships will return to South America in 2023?

We are booked on Holland America Line to depart Santiago, Chile March 24, 2023.....17 nights heading to Fort Lauderdale. 

Holland America Line has several South America cruises in 2023.

Get onboard!

On 7/16/2022 at 8:01 AM, psygist said:

I can’t seem to find any information as to what the South American countries are considering at this point. 

I know at least two lines are already booking for South America next yaer.   NCL is doing South America next year in March as is Costa Cruise Lines in March 2023.  We were booked on NCL and cancelled because I couldn't find flights that met our needs.  We are now booked on Costa going from Buenos Aires up to Rio, 3 other stops including Uruguay, and back to Buenos Aires March 2023.    They better be going.   We already booked flights.  ☺️😄

Edited by CupKayke

On 7/16/2022 at 2:23 PM, GeorgeCharlie said:

We leave Fort Lauderdale on a HAL cruise in mid-Nov, which travels down the west coast of South America, around the Horn to Buenos Aires. All of the ports we visit are open and we have not had any difficulty booking private tours. The ship (Oosterdam) then spends the winter sailing back and forth between Buenos Aires and San Antonio (Santiago), Chile.

HAL has a full range of South American cruises sailing in 2024, including their Grand South America cruise which departs on a 74-day trip completely around South America in Jan/24.

Oops - s/be ..sailing in 2023 and SA in Jan/23.

Thanks for the encouragement. But, as the OP, the reason I ask if ships will call on South American ports in 2023 is that I’ve had 3 previous SA cruises canceled since the pandemic began. The cruise lines advertise, take your deposit (and sometimes final payment), then cancel just before the SA cruising season starts. Of course, the cruise lines are at the mercy of each country accepting cruise passengers. But I certainly wouldn’t purchase non refundable airfare at this point!

• Like 1

Our airfare is actually protected so I'm not incredibly worried.

You no longer need to have a COVID-19 test or be vaccinated to enter Argentina... as of June 14, 2022.     You can Google and there are many articles stating that Brazil welcomed back Cruise Ships as of March 2022.   Brazil Finally Welcomes Back Cruise Ships - Travel Off Path   As a further note, they've even relaxed several of those initial requirements they made... testing during the cruise is no longer required and travel insurance is no longer required.

Here's to hoping we can all travel to South America next year..... I'm trying to stay positive.  🙂  

Edited by CupKayke

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked Oceania on Mar 19th out of Lima, going up the western coast of SA, through the Panama canal and ending in Miami.  We also have airfare one-way booked as well as a pre-cruise trip to Machu Picchu.  I certainly hope there aren't any problems.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are on the Sapphire Princess for Jan. 20, 2023 Antartica and SA. I hope it doesn't get cancelled. We did purchase non-refundable air but if we cancel we get flight credits and can use them next year to go to Europe for our son's wedding. 

I just read that Princess cancelled their Jan 2022 SA cruises in August 2021.... we are now in September (whew) so far so good!

On 7/23/2022 at 8:13 PM, GeorgeCharlie said:

Oops - s/be ..sailing in 2023 and SA in Jan/23.

We've heard that Jim McParland will be on board as a Guest Speaker.  He is very knowledgeable about all kinds of subjects, gives great talks, and usually does star gazing at night.

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2022 at 10:35 AM, prudence passenger said:

We are booked holiday 2022 Lima to Fort Lauderdale on silversea.  Precruise to Macchu Picchu as well, SueMo.  Peru, Ecuador, Panama, any suggestions for private tours with a driver? Have not cruised in 3 years, and first time on this line, really looking forward to the trip.

I am just returned recently from a wonderful private tour in Southern Peru with Ernesto Riedner after I debarked on 19 November from Regent Mariner Los Angeles to lima. I highly recommend Ernesto as a wonderful tour guide. I include here the review that I posted elsewhere of my tour with him. I welcome any inquiries about my experiences. My email is in my signature line. Enjoy your cruise !