How to get from SEA airport to Pier 91? (Carnival Splendor Alaska cruise from Seattle)

likejudo

@Ferry_Watcher   Not sure who owns it but I stopped by as I was on the trail. Was told by the guard at the gate as well as two others walking the trail that the bridge was open to anyone who wanted to use it.  On the Expedia side of the bridge it is outside their facility near the gate.

Edited by Glaciers

On 8/13/2022 at 10:24 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

@Glaciers, do you know if the Helix bridge is privately owned by Expedia?  Or, does the bridge connect with Expedia property on the other side and is that why they have uniformed personnel preventing folks from crossing the bridge?  I know of one Pier 91 staffer who plead their case to a bridge 'guard' to let them thru because they were running late for work, but were basically told not to do it again.  Not sure why Expedia thinks that cruise passengers hauling luggage are a threat to their property. 

I wonder what the City, or the Port of Seattle would say about this?

No, you are allowed to cross the Helix pedestrian bridge but then you must go all the way to the end of the trail - no shortcuts onto Expedia property allowed.

The trail is a public park.

I suppose many like myself believe that crossing the helix bridge is a shortcut to the ship - unfortunately, it is deceiving, as I mentioned earlier.

Edited by likejudo

Didn't witness the medical emergency, but I was at Pier 91.  EMT response is rare at the pier (thankfully), so when the medics arrive, we know that it is a serious situation.  So glad that you were cleared to cruise.

Outside pier staff have helped other passengers who have decided to walk from DT Seattle along the Elliott Bay Trail, or who have taken the #33 bus and had to deal with the 2 flights of stairs descending from the Magnolia bridge to the Pier 91 complex.  Recently, there were two different passengers duo/groups that had older travelers who, though ambulatory, were in wheelchairs.  These poor people had to walk down the two flights of stairs, then be wheeled the 1/4 mile to the terminal building   A few years back an older mom and adult daughter opted to walk the waterfront trail to Pier 91.  By the time they arrived, the older woman needed wheelchair assistance to get on the ship.

It's not an easy way to start a cruise (walking or public transportation to Pier 91), but I understand why some folks want to do it.

• Like 1