Klaipeda, Lithuania - Cycling to the end of Dunes

Does anyone have experience taking this shore excursion through Royal Caribbean? The description does not say but I'm guessing it is guided. Is the forest trail rough to ride on?  It is labeled as strenuous. Did you find it strenuous?  Thanks.

Nida excursion if available is worth looking into it.

Cycling paths are not rough.

Walking path to beach from back of the bus station on Smythie side is actually paved and a nice walk to through thick woods.  Plenty of families walking on it on a summer day and hence you should not feel unsafe,  Walkway finishes at the top of the sand dune and you have to take some 30-40 steps down to a flat beach.

Beach remains flat for a quite a distance into the water and hence one of the best beaches to waddle in with kids.

You can actually rent bicycle on klapedia side, take it on this ten minute ferry to the Curona Spit and peddle around on the marked paths.

However, there is always a risk of injury in foreign country while on very short port call.

• Thanks 1

We booked an excursion with Klaipeda Tours ( www.klaipedatours.lt ) for our Baltic cruise earlier this month, and we spent a wonderful day with their tour guide, Mindaugas.  Ours was a sightseeing tour (we visited the Hill of Crosses and the Cold War Museum) but in talking with Mindaugas, we found that he also arranges and leads cycling tours in the area (the next tour he was giving was in Riga).

Our private tour was perfect in every way, so you may want to reach out to Kalipeda Tours to see if they could offer you something that suits your needs.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2022 at 7:30 PM, kpauley said:

Does anyone have experience taking this shore excursion through Royal Caribbean? The description does not say but I'm guessing it is guided. Is the forest trail rough to ride on?  It is labeled as strenuous. Did you find it strenuous?  Thanks.

Just took this tour yesterday with Oceania. It was wonderful!  It was guided and the bikes were ebikes so not strenuous at all from my perspective as long as you remembered to change gear before going uphill. There was a short path that was a little rough but the majority of the riding is on a paved trail. 😊. Overall I felt like I could have done it twice as long. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 7:14 AM, hal2008 said:

Nida excursion if available is worth looking into it.

Cycling paths are not rough.

Walking path to beach from back of the bus station on Smythie side is actually paved and a nice walk to through thick woods.  Plenty of families walking on it on a summer day and hence you should not feel unsafe,  Walkway finishes at the top of the sand dune and you have to take some 30-40 steps down to a flat beach.

Beach remains flat for a quite a distance into the water and hence one of the best beaches to waddle in with kids.

You can actually rent bicycle on klapedia side, take it on this ten minute ferry to the Curona Spit and peddle around on the marked paths.

However, there is always a risk of injury in foreign country while on very short port call.

So, how easy is it to visit the Curonian Spit DYI from a cruise ship?  It is hard finding shorter tours. (5-6 hours).  Our port time is 8 hours.  The tours I am finding are 7-8 hours.  I did send an email to the company mentioned in 

post #3.   Their tour dates 7.5-8 hours.  We are interested in the dunes.,

I agree about the injury risk. Ty 

1 hour ago, milolii said:

So, how easy is it to visit the Curonian Spit DYI from a cruise ship?  It is hard finding shorter tours. (5-6 hours).  Our port time is 8 hours.  The tours I am finding are 7-8 hours.  I did send an email to the company mentioned in 

post #3.   Their tour dates 7.5-8 hours.  We are interested in the dunes.,

I agree about the injury risk. Ty 

Going to Nida will be tight 

Going to Baltic beach which has dunes (but not like Nida) is easy.

8 hour port time is actually about 6 to 6 5 hours of workable time. You will be on parking lot of Smiltyne in less than an hour after gangway opens.  Enough time to do cycling, beach, amber browsing, etc.  May not be enough to go all the way to Nida.