Live on Majestic. July 16

Joelocal

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! So the MDR doors open at 5 pm and that’s the times listed in the Patter. Thanks for checking! 😁

The 5 to 9 PM MDR time is consistent with the time offered on the app as well as the various Alaska bound Patters people have posted all summer long from other Princess ships.

Here's a link from someone that boarded the Ruby Princess today for Alaska and on post #2 it shows the 5 to 9 PM dining.  Guess the Princess fleet on this side of the world didn't get the same memo...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2867356-live-ruby-princess-to-alaska-round-trip-from-san-francisco/#comment-63594383

Edited by harryfat1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

The 5 to 9 PM MDR time is consistent with the time offered on the app as well as the various Alaska bound Patters people have posted all summer long from other Princess ships.

Here's a link from someone that boarded the Ruby Princess today for Alaska and on post #2 it shows the 5 to 9 PM dining.  Guess the Princess fleet on this side of the world didn't get the same memo...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2867356-live-ruby-princess-to-alaska-round-trip-from-san-francisco/#comment-63594383

As one great man once said “Trust but Verify”! 😂

• Like 1

Joelocal - I believe the Majestic Princess is docked at Skagway today. 

Are they allowing the people to walk off the ship past the rock slide area from few weeks ago?  

I have read reports of them tendering the passengers in previous weeks but saw on a recent post they have created a walkway around the slide.  Just checking as we have early excursion booked for Skagway and is wary of trying to get off the ship if we have to tender.

Thanks,

Harry

Brew pub crawl cut short. Klondike  brewing we were out back by ourselves. 

We then went to Skagway brewing.  

Waited for 5 minutes then were  told we could go upstairs.  

We got up there and my sister asked if I was comfortable being there. My response was "Looks like covid central to me" . We all agreed and left immediately.  Crowded and no masks. 

Here is my reasoning.  We've got 10 days left. I would take the risk if I was home, but I  don't want to mess up my vacation being in isolation 

• Like 1

We are doing the 10 day Alaska cruise in September and I cannot find anything about entertainment or activities on the ship. Is there any info around? Princess Patters are hard to come by for the Majestic.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 12:11 AM, Joelocal said:

This afternoon  my wife and I  had a couples message.  It was gifted to us by my sister for our 50th wedding anniversary  that's coming up in October.  

This trip is part of our Magical Mystery Tour for this year as we have several trips done and more planned. 

We have been truly blessed  in our lives.  The most important being our health. We are still very much in love. 

The messages were fantastic. I  even started to snore. 

Anyway,  we are having a great cruise. Relaxation at it's finest. On the balcony  watching the Alaska coastline.

Congrats!!! We are also celebrating our 50th this year and will be on the Majestic next weekend (July 30th). We are making this year one of travel, too. Good for you guys!!!!

• Like 2

Excursion report

Yesterday at Juneau our niece and husband  went on a whale watching trip. They got the trip of a lifetime.  They got to see a whale bubbling event. This is when several whales will go down and create confusion on a school of anchovies with bubbles,  then come to the surface and eat mouthfuls.  The outfitters that ran the trip  said it is a rare event to witness. Some had never seen it. Some of those  whales have not eaten since Hawaii.  It's time to put on the feed bag. 

Poor lowly anchovy.  Everything eats anchovies, whales, fish, and 

birds, even people.  

Today they went on the White Pass Railroad trip in Skagway. We went on this excursion on our last trip to Alaska.  I highly recommend  watching the YouTube  video of the opening scene  of the movie Music Man. 

Rock Island. railroad scene. This train looks like it was in the movie. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Joelocal said:

Excursion report

Yesterday at Juneau our niece and husband  went on a whale watching trip. They got the trip of a lifetime.  They got to see a whale bubbling event. This is when several whales will go down and create confusion on a school of anchovies with bubbles,  then come to the surface and eat mouthfuls.  The outfitters that ran the trip  said it is a rare event to witness. Some had never seen it. Some of those  whales have not eaten since Hawaii.  It's time to put on the feed bag. 

Poor lowly anchovy.  Everything eats anchovies, whales, fish, and 

birds, even people.  

In 2019 as we were leaving Ketchikan, I spotted this off our balcony.

DSCF2548.thumb.JPG.1104ef322f0ef1093fef6f55c3d4f721.JPG

I had never seen this before, but I knew what it was.

We were well past before he popped up.  

DSCF2549.thumb.JPG.871a7060128679ac7941c6a576809c8f.JPG

DSCF2552.thumb.JPG.b8a306f752ba1a412ab1781881e68b47.JPG

• Like 4

Formal nights are Sunday and Thursday.  Prime rib Wednesday. 

Visiting Glacier Bay today on board. Very picturesque.

We stopped and went backwards to see a black bear on the shoreline. For those of us who have lived in the mountains  we have seen these up close.

I tried to attach photos of glacier. The medallionet wifi is unable to upload photos. FAILED.  

Finally saw some blue sky today. Just a small patch. First blue sky since Vancouver.  Haven't used sun glasses  since last Saturday.  

• Like 2

I've seen halibut on the menu several times. There is a tag on Alaska  items in the menu. Most are fish. 

Plenty of local fish on the menus at Port. 

Wifi is s l o w......

I posted this yesterday . Hit submit reply. Looks like it took. Then this morning I  hit reply and magically  it restores in the reply.  Ow I  hit submit reply and it is posted

This is our last day on the ocean.  We will start the land portion tomorrow 

It's raing again as we head towards the College Fjord. We hope the visibility improves.  Overall, this is by far the coldest cruise we have been on. The only time day or night  when somebody has been around the pool area was in Vancouver.  Of course Princess can't control the weather, but this will be our last Alaska cruise. But, but. It's July! Midsummer. We came prepared. We used all 4 layers + raincoat, and still cold. 

The food  has been excellent. The crew do an outstanding job of making it an enjoyable vacation.  And that is what it was.

I hope to continue this post depending  on time and wifi availability. 

So yesterday we disembarked from the Majestic. Very uneventful

we started our 7 day land portion on a 1 1/2 just ride to the OPP Princess Lodge  at Coolers Landing  Very nice 4plex  cabins. With wood stoves for those who enjoy the ambience. That was my main source of beat for 30 years. Now I just adjust the thermostat. 

We purchased the meal package for this part of the trip. It is a bargain. Meals are expensive.  Here at the Lodge the food has been excellent  

I would highly recommend the salmon chowder and the halibut.

We will spend the day here on the Kenai River watching the water and rafters walk by.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Joelocal said:

Going back a couple days at the College Fjord  we got real close to the Harvard Glacier.  Absolutely awesome.  Wish it wasn't raining. 20220722_182726.thumb.jpg.6b1073b54ddbd7ebe8eab24a0ac3176a.jpg

Did you have any calving?  Our visit to Harvard in June gave us quite a calving show --- lots of it!