Galveston area help ... please

emen822

I am cruising out of Galveston in February with my two sisters.  We have cruised out of this port a few times before but always arrive late and stay near IAH.  This time we are flying in early on Saturday and would prefer to stay in Galveston as we never had the chance.  We don't know anything about the area but are looking for a nice, clean, safe area to stay, with eateries and stores (for wine, toiletries, etc.) within walking distance since we won't have a car.  Does this seem doable?  I have looked up hotels, airbnb as well as vrbo but again, I'm just unsure of the areas.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Mary

Are you saying you want walking distance to the ship? Or walkable to store sand the beach with plans to take a taxi/uber to the port. They are on different sides of the island. If you want to walk to the ship,  Then definitely don’t stay near the Seawall as it’s not walking distance. There are restaurants and Walgreens/cvs type places right on the Strand. The Strand is the historical district with great shops, restaurants and bars. You can walk to the port to see water, dolphins and boats.  There’s a few hotels nearby. The closest would be the Harbor House. The port camera is attached to this hotel is you want an idea of how close it is. There’s also the Tremont Hotel which is still walkable but a few blocks away from the port. If you wan to stay on the beach side, that’s the seawall. Lots of hotels with convenient stores sprinkled around. But you would have to take a car to the ship and restaurants within walking distance can be hit or miss depends on where you book 

• Like 2

I recommend staying on he Gulf side (Seawall).  Anything you need you can Uber/Lyft to a store.

Nothing is far away.  You will still need transportation to the port especially if sailing Royal as the new pier facility is many blocks east of downtown and not walkable. I wouldn't walk to the port anyway.  Too much traffic, no sidewalks

The only walkable hotel is Harbor House if not sailing Royal, though it is not a full service hotel.

The San Luis and Hilton are close to a large grocery store on Seawall.

Others:  Beachfront Palms', Quality Inn, Hampton Inn.

Google hotels on Seawall, map will show what else is nearby.

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses.  I'm sorry if I wasn't clear... I was just looking for a hotel in a safe area with stores, restaurants within walking distance.  We plan to take an Uber/Lyft to the port.  I guess I was trying to find out if there were any areas to avoid.

• 1 month later...