Queen's Troubles in L.A.

Kenn

[quote name='2moose']my grand father fell off the boat from queensland( now cove ireland in 1908) in steerage I have his bill of lading (?) cost $ 10.00 usd and bring your own fork and knife. welcome to america[/quote]

$10 in 1908 is worth around $920 now, based on unskilled wages (no offence to your Grandfather, its just one of the ways of measuring changes in the value of money)......so I guess I paid [I]less[/I] for my obstructed balcony on the QM2 than your Grandfather did, in relative terms.....maybe Britannia is 'steerage' after all!;)

See here: [URL="http://eh.net/hmit/compare/"]http://eh.net/hmit/compare/[/URL]

Peter

[quote name='MollyBrown']That is the silliest thing I ever heard. Money does not a "posh" person make! Many a Puritan New Englander from old money aritocratic lineage would disagree, as they usually have a tendency to find lavish spending rather tacky.

Anyone can win Lotto and travel in QG. Does that suddenly make you posh? I can travel in QG if I want also, but I prefer Britannia (although after all this talk about steerage" I'm beginning to wonder).[/quote]

Molly, please read posts more carefully. My grammer and typing left a little(??) to be desired, but I did say in my final paragraph that money and breeding do not make "class". I use(d) the term "posh" with tongue in cheek. As Traveltogo mentions, "posh" makes her think of "posh spice" who seems to be anything but! I have been called "posh" by some, purely because I can talk proper like! However, if labels must be applied, I prefer to be a "Gentleman", as I tend to be rather old fashioned in some ways. Little things like opening doors for ladies, giving up a seat etc..

You also refer to old money. How can anyone in the good old USA be classed as "old" money??? Old is when you can trace the ancestors back in the same country for at least 500 years, and preferably based at the same location!!

How is your sense of humour? It appears that you take all our posts a touch too literally. As they say on the west side of the pond, just chill out a bit! My posts are intended to be objective with a little humour thrown in and occassionally a little provocative to stir things up a touch! ( yes I know its naughty, but like in a differnt thread when I referred to the on-board morgue, it brought some great responses!) No-one is meant to take offence to little ol' me.

Phileas
Who doesn't wear "designer" anything, as he is not a snob nor pretentious, but knows what he likes, and likes what he likes!;)

[quote name='phileas']
You also refer to old money. How can anyone in the good old USA be classed as "old" money??? Old is when you can trace the ancestors back in the same country for at least 500 years, and preferably based at the same location!!
;)[/quote]

Well, I'm talking about old money that has it's own books which trace their family back to 14th Century England, with William the Conquerer and Alfred the Great as ancestors (although much of the population in the UK may be related to them as well, I don't know). Despite the myth in Europe that all settlers in the US (and Australia, but I don't know about that) were peasants and criminals, in fact there were many settlers from all walks of life, including the more "well-to-do".

With regard to the rest, perhaps I'm taking the "steerage" joke too seriously, but at $5000. a crossing (as a single), I don't want to find I'm in fact traveling in "steerage". QM2 is supposed to be a luxury liner, but I have been wondering how they were going to keep her fully booked month after month. I believe they book a huge number of tour groups and that sort of thing.

The thing is, QE2 has two classes under the Grills, Mauritanea and Coronia. On the Transatlantic route, which QE2 used to have, if you wanted to pay more, you could travel in Coronia, and have slightly more benefits.

On QM2, it's all lumped into one class, Britannia. If QM2 becomes "mass transit", as the airlines did, maybe it will be an incentive to try the Grills. I don't know, maybe Princess Lines has set this up this way just to get people to pay more and book the Grills.

P.S. And if I'm lacking in sense of humor here, sorry, I've been cooped up in maddening NYC more than a little too long, and need to get the hell out! QM2, rescue me!

[quote name='travel-to-go']Gosh, Penny,. Didn't you get your docs yet?
We had to bring our own fork and knife. We also brought straws (with little floral leis or umbrellas on them. to use in the mojitos) our own fresh mint, and limes, rum, and simple syrup. The only way to have a mojito party on one of those "posh" 11 deck balconies! not ours- we were <ahem> cattle class on 8 deck. Well, maybe not total cattle class.. but I swear there were people on the bus holding chickens in their laps.....Oh wait! No, that was a different trip!
Never mind!
<VBEG>

Karie, who can't help snickering at the mention of the word posh these days. All she can think of is Posh Spice. And how un-posh any pop star is in my book! I prefer Johnny clegg.[/QUOTE]
my only understanding of "posh" is:"port out and starboard home" no more no less. regards to all

[quote name='2moose']my only understanding of "posh" is:"port out and starboard home" no more no less. regards to all[/quote]

A great urban myth......see here: [URL="http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pos1.htm"]http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pos1.htm[/URL]

Peter

Well, I'm talking about old money that has it's own books which trace their family back to 14th Century England, with William the Conquerer and Alfred the Great as ancestors (although much of the population in the UK may be related to them as well, I don't know). Despite the myth in Europe that all settlers in the US (and Australia, but I don't know about that) were peasants and criminals, in fact there were many settlers from all walks of life, including the more "well-to-do".

With regard to the rest, perhaps I'm taking the "steerage" joke too seriously, but at $5000. a crossing (as a single), I don't want to find I'm in fact traveling in "steerage". QM2 is supposed to be a luxury liner, but I have been wondering how they were going to keep her fully booked month after month. I believe they book a huge number of tour groups and that sort of thing.

The thing is, QE2 has two classes under the Grills, Mauritanea and Coronia. On the Transatlantic route, which QE2 used to have, if you wanted to pay more, you could travel in Coronia, and have slightly more benefits.

On QM2, it's all lumped into one class, Britannia. If QM2 becomes "mass transit", as the airlines did, maybe it will be an incentive to try the Grills. I don't know, maybe Princess Lines has set this up this way just to get people to pay more and book the Grills.

P.S. And if I'm lacking in sense of humor here, sorry, I've been cooped up in maddening NYC more than a little too long, and need to get the hell out! QM2, rescue me!

Hi Molly,

Apologies for not realising that you have not been on the QM2. Steerage, cattle class, Britannia, call it what you will, but you will find that the only real differences are that the two Grills do not have a set sitting time for dinner, and have a bigger choice of food, (still 3-5 choices for each course in Brittania at dinner). They eat in small low ceilinged rooms, which some say are no where near as pleasant as in the Brittania. The get larger staterooms, and a few other little bits and pieces (see your brochure for details). The QM2 staterooms are huge in comparison with the QE2. All the QE2 non grill staterooms are smaller than any B grade on the QM2, and the largest Carionia staterooms are just one square foot larger than all the C grade on the QM2. The QM2 has a much more modern feel than the QE2, but so she should as she is almost 40 years younger! Space is what you will find the QM2 is all about. All the other ships of say 90,000 tons up, have far more passengers in relation to the size of the ship.

Sorry, but I have to cut this short to earn a crust now.

Phileas

Who does know a little more American history than perhaps given credit for. Must be something to do with all the fish.:)

Hi Molly,

Apologies for not realising that you have not been on the QM2. .:)

I have been on QM2, several times. Before that, QE2. I thought Britannea was fine. However, I'm hearing of increasingly rude behavior in the dining room, so I fear it is becoming, as I put it before, "mass transit".

When QM2 was starting her voyages, Britannea was still quite dignified.

On QE2, I very much like Caronia. I had sailed once in Mauritanea---the very the first time---and there seemed to be too many people complaining about having to "dress up" and that sort of thing. I was in Caronia for several crossings, and had wonderful tablemates every time. As for the QG crossing, I found that Caronia was more fun.

I have been on QM2, several times. Before that, QE2. I thought Britannea was fine. However, I'm hearing of increasingly rude behavior in the dining room, so I fear it is becoming, as I put it before, "mass transit".

When QM2 was starting her voyages, Britannea was still quite dignified.

On QE2, I very much like Caronia. I had sailed once in Mauritanea---the very the first time---and there seemed to be too many people complaining about having to "dress up" and that sort of thing. I was in Caronia for several crossings, and had wonderful tablemates every time. As for the QG crossing, I found that Caronia was more fun.

Hi again Molly,

Unlike yourself, I have not been on the QE2, but my parents have travelled on her about half a dozen times. Their experiences (also confirmed by a few others on this forum in other threads) have been that the QM2 attracts a slightly younger average age passenger than the QE2. They have also had delightful tablemates, but have found on occasions that there is sometimes a particularly "loud" table. When on the QM2 last year, we did not experience this. We did notice that a few people in Britannia did not follow the dress code every evening, but they were very much the minority; literally just a handful. We did the opposite, and in fact on the last day, which was smart casual, everyone at our table agreed to dress up as though it were a formal evening. A few other tables, well one other that I noticed, had also done the same.

At the end of the day, those few that do not follow the dress code are the ones who are losing out, as it is they who do not realise what being on the QM2 is all about! Without doubt, they are on the wrong ship, and would no doubt prefer one of the other mass market cruise lines. You do not have to be a particularly sensitive type to detect that when on the QM2, that the whole atmosphere is quite different to other ships, and that one should feel honoured to be experiencing what will probably be the very last of a true ocean liners.

Phileas

Who thinks that no matter what hull strengthening is or is not done to the QV, nor how grand the interior, that with cabins going far aft, she will not be a true liner like her royal cousins, but an upmarket cruise ship.:(

Okay,

My turn!

I did not notice any rude behavior from ANYone (Staff or passenger... or "guest") in the Brittania grill... well, maybe except me. <G>

Nah. I wasn't rude. Honest. Except when I was late, but I'm always late!

I think the Brittania is much more elegant.

Old money. As I said, another part of me (besides the Cherokee side) comes from the Hardwicks of England. I forget the century. I'd have to look it up- It's on my maternal granmother's side. I have the whole geneology somewhere. It doesn't maek me one bit special. I have known old money I have known new money. I have known no money. There are jackarses in every "class" and marvelous humble refined people also. The woman who cleans our office at night is humble, delightful, has a giggle that would light up the room. She has real class. She is from Ecuador and speaks very little English (We are teaching each other bits and pieces.) You may think- oh- common laborer. Poor, poor language skills, probably not very smart. No she is VERY smart. I keep telling her to work on her English skills, She can do so much better! Oh, yeah, And by the way. Her mother is doctor and her father is a judge. So speaking of judging....

And as we finished the boat drill on 3 January, leaving Mnahattan, I was on the phone with someone who is VERY VERY old money. His offices are in Manhattan, his home in Connecticut. He is a darling man. I love him dearly. Others do not agree. In fact, I saw a television show where he apparently almost got into a physicl fight with another guest on the show. But everything I have ever experienced of this man is totally top class and impeccably mannered. He has lectured on board ships, is quite erudite, a multi published author, but he also has his moments, or so I have heard. So tell me. Where does he fit in the spectrum. He stays in the best hotels, goes on the best cruises, is driven around by his chauffer, lives in an exclusive area. Is a world traveler and quite well respected. Is he a better person than me? Or Phileas?Or Molly? No. Or my office cleaner. Nope.

I'm rambling. But you get my drift. I've also delt with people who were filthy rich, and rude as hell.

And for crying out loud, to read this forum, sometimes I would think that the folks here have nothing better to do with their lives than scrutinize others' clothing and mode of dress! Honestly, people. If the dress code is formal, communicate that and get on with living a life! Who cares if someone shows up in jodphurs! I certainly don't! (Unless they track in horse poop.) Just get over it! I've never heard such a whiny bitchy cantankerous crew (And I mean that in a most loving and respectful way <G>) who need to get REAL lives. Wear what makes you feel elegant and classy and let others dress themselves. As my mother would say, They're big enough and old enough and ugly enough to take care of themselves!

Karie,

who dresses as best she can, considering they don't make elegant clothes to be worn by my size and shape body!

Elaine...How are you? Great to see a post from you! What's up? LuAnn

Hi LuAnn

How are you????? Everything's fine here. Weather a bit cold and looking forward to spring!! Hope you are both keeping well??

Elaine

Thankyou Elaine

I am trying to rise above it all! I found this site by accident and I have to say I have found it compulsive reading! - having never entered any kind of chat room in my life...I now have to take a look inside everyday! I feel as though I am getting to know a whole bunch of 'odd-named' people really well - its quite funny to me and I've really enjoyed myself . However, there are some real 'piranhas' circling the posts aren't there? (I'm smiling now - just in case any piranhas are reading! - be gentle with me its my first time!)

I hope to be able to contribute more constructively when I have my first cruise completed.

I have to say I chose the QM2 as I thought I was booking 'the best' but these pages aren't pleasent reading on Cunard's service. That said I'm away to polish up my tiarra (only joking) and sort out my dry cleaning in preparation for my regal adventure!

Thanks again!

Hi Lansonlady

Well done to you rising above it all.

These sites are very compulsive!!

I am most certain you will be wowed by the QM2. You have never done a cruise before so therefore have nothing at all to compare it with. This is where you are very fortunate. My problem is that I have done around 25 cruises in total and most of them have been on P & O.

When are you due to go on QM2?? Are you on countdown already (we are off on P & O's Arcadia on July 2nd)!!

Elaine

And for crying out loud, to read this forum, sometimes I would think that the folks here have nothing better to do with their lives than scrutinize others' clothing and mode of dress!

Absolutely! (BTW, one definition of what is NOT 'old money' is 'people who had to buy their own furniture')....I digress. A lovely illustration of what Karie describes was demonstrated by some VERY old money, HM QEII. Mrs Thatcher, as Prime Minister was in an audience with the Queen one day and was horrified to notice that she and the Queen were wearing the same suit. On returning to Downing Street, she had an aide telephone Buckingham Palace to suggest that in future, ahead of an audience, Downing Street would telephone Buckingham Palace to find out what the Queen was wearing, so that if there were a clash, Mrs Thatcher could change. There was a slight pause, then 'Oh no, that won't be necessary...the Queen never notices what anyone else is wearing.'

Peter

I'm rambling. But you get my drift. I've also delt with people who were filthy rich, and rude as hell.

Absolutely! No so much the rambling (I do lots of that as well!) but the rest of your reasoning. I've said it before Karie, you always seem to be reading my thoughts. Are you part of the latest government eavesdropping program??

Phileas

Hi Lansonlady

Well done to you rising above it all.

These sites are very compulsive!!

I am most certain you will be wowed by the QM2. You have never done a cruise before so therefore have nothing at all to compare it with. This is where you are very fortunate. My problem is that I have done around 25 cruises in total and most of them have been on P & O.

When are you due to go on QM2?? Are you on countdown already (we are off on P & O's Arcadia on July 2nd)!!

Elaine

Hi again Elaine,

We are going from Rio to New York on 3rd April - so not long to go now! We fly to Rio a few days before and have a few days in New York before coming home.

All my friends go on P&O from Southampton and thats what I set out to book - they all love P&O and I have been thrilled many times by their holiday stories.

To be honest with you, we have already had a few booking issues with Cunard which once sorted out I tried to put to one side. However with the itineray changes due to the FL accident and all the gripes about Cunard Service on this site - I'm sort of regretting I didn't stick with our original plans for P&O!!!!

BUT... I refuse to give in to my doubts...

P&O next time though! -

Thanks Again

sort out my dry cleaning

It may sound disgusting, and you may not be able to bear to do this, but they have a great laundry and dry cleaners on board. So you might consider packing "dirty" clothes and getting them cleaned and pressed on the ship.

They arrive back in the wardrobe next day without any creases from being in a suitcase for two days. There is also a self service launderette, but the laundry prices are reasonable so why bother?

I am sure QM2 is vastly superior to any P & O vessel, so don't worry too much!

P.S. Lansonlady, are you a Champagne fan too?

It may sound disgusting, and you may not be able to bear to do this, but they have a great laundry and dry cleaners on board. So you might consider packing "dirty" clothes and getting them cleaned and pressed on the ship.

They arrive back in the wardrobe next day without any creases from being in a suitcase for two days. There is also a self service launderette, but the laundry prices are reasonable so why bother?

I certainly enjoy a glass or two but I don't imagine I'm as dedicated as you!

I just happened to have a glass of Lanson in my hand when I first read the roll call for our cruise... and the roll call posts from Bollinge. Hence the birth of my name when I registerd!

Thanks for the dry cleaning tip! I am dreading pressing evening dresses for two of us and suits and tuxedos for two men too! Everything that needs cleaning has already gone but I might see if we can have our things pressed on board. I can't imagine what they will look like after 4 days in a case!

See you soon - I wonder....... do people who post on these boards recognise each other if they meet on board?

I hope to be CC people spotting on the 3rd - different people have given different snippits of information about themselves in their posts, its really interesting - and fun....Its brought another dimension to my adventure! -

However I am in danger of becoming a CC chat room junkie!

QM2 is a wonderful ship!! But for me P & O's Aurora is still my favourite!! Elaine

Elaine...don't know if you remember but I had a foot that was really hurting on the cruise...I think the waiters in the dining room called me "sock girl"...went to the Dr. on board etc...anyway..found it when I got back it was broken..and had been for a month before the cruise! Anyway...ortho boot, cast, bone stimulators etc. etc. since mid Oct. finally got the ok that is pretty much healed LAST WEEK! A very long haul! Now I need to loose the 10 lbs. I put on just sitting around, trying to let it heal! We are going to cruise in late April...the Panama Canal..never done that so looking forward to it...flying to Florida, and then ending up in home port of San Diego! Where are you going next? LuAnn

Hi again Elaine,

We are going from Rio to New York on 3rd April - so not long to go now! We fly to Rio a few days before and have a few days in New York before coming home.

All my friends go on P&O from Southampton and thats what I set out to book - they all love P&O and I have been thrilled many times by their holiday stories.

To be honest with you, we have already had a few booking issues with Cunard which once sorted out I tried to put to one side. However with the itineray changes due to the FL accident and all the gripes about Cunard Service on this site - I'm sort of regretting I didn't stick with our original plans for P&O!!!!

P&O next time though! -

Thanks Again

We too had pre cruise problems, that were sorted out (took a week though with the time difference with the west coast of the US)!! I too put this behind me. It is very difficult not to compare if you have been on other ships. OK Aurora is 1/2 the size (give a take a few tonnes) of QM2, but even so she too is a lovely vessel (IMO). To be honest if it had been Aurora doing the falls trip last year then there would have been no competition. We would have gone on her!! My husband and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and like you wanted something a little extra special. Hence booking QM2.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Like I say it's your first ever cruise, so you have nothing at all to judge it by. Go with an open mind and don't pay too much attention to some of the things said on this board. I have always found out it's best to form your own opinion!! Others can offer advice, but what is one persons cup of tea isn't always someone elses. Were all different in our views and expectations.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. It sounds great.

Elaine

Elaine...don't know if you remember but I had a foot that was really hurting on the cruise...I think the waiters in the dining room called me "sock girl"...went to the Dr. on board etc...anyway..found it when I got back it was broken..and had been for a month before the cruise! Anyway...ortho boot, cast, bone stimulators etc. etc. since mid Oct. finally got the ok that is pretty much healed LAST WEEK! A very long haul! Now I need to loose the 10 lbs. I put on just sitting around, trying to let it heal! We are going to cruise in late April...the Panama Canal..never done that so looking forward to it...flying to Florida, and then ending up in home port of San Diego! Where are you going next? LuAnn

Hi LuAnn

How could I forget your foot!! I guess you don't know how you broke your foot?? How do they know how long it had been broken?? That was quite a while back now wasn't it!! It most certainly has been a long time.

Anyway, pleased to hear it's now back to normal. So what diet will you be going on to lose the 10lb?? Not bad though only 10lb in what 5 months?? And over Xmas too!! I put quite a bit of weight on over Xmas!! I think the problem was we'd only just got back off of QM2 and then we were on Oriana for Xmas in the caribbean!! Caribbean, you just can't beat it. I wouldn't say no to being marrooned on a desserted island there!!

We are off on Arcadia on a shortish trip for us without our kids!! We are only off to the Canaries (it's 12 nights). Will be the first time Tom and I have done an adult only cruise. He is treating me to a suite!! It is one of the aft ones with a very large balcony. I love sitting out the back watching the world go by!! I am really looking forward to it. Arcadia was originally meant to be Queen Victoria for Cunard!! It gets very mixed reports. A lot of people don't like her because she is very contemporary. We were very fortunate enough to visit her before she was launched. We walked off and immediately booked the suite. We were quite impressed. Also on P & O it doesn't matter how much you pay for your accommodation you are all treated the same!! We are then back on Aurora for Xmas in the Caribbean (oh yes, my ideal place again)!!

Must say your trip sounds wonderful. Going through the Panama canal is on my to do list. This year the Aurora and Oriana both did world cruises(well there still on them) that allowed you to get off one of the ships in Sydney, spend 2 weeks in Oz itself and then come back on the other ship from Sydney without doing the same ports twice!! I would love to do this one day as Tom would love to go to Australia and as I don't fly it is perfect!!

Anyway, glad to see you are on the mend. How is Ken?? Hope he's been looking after you whilst you've been off your feet??

Elaine

Thanks for the dry cleaning tip! I am dreading pressing evening dresses for two of us and suits and tuxedos for two men too! Everything that needs cleaning has already gone but I might see if we can have our things pressed on board. I can't imagine what they will look like after 4 days in a case!

See you soon - I wonder....... do people who post on these boards recognise each other if they meet on board?

I hope to be CC people spotting on the 3rd - different people have given different snippits of information about themselves in their posts, its really interesting - and fun....Its brought another dimension to my adventure! -

Well of course, they have a pressing service as well as the laundry.

We will have to arrange a meeting on the sailaway out of Rio, and if we click, great. And if not we can spend the next twelve days avoiding each other. And QM2 is big enough for that!

Look, you will meet people on board who you like or who you loathe, as in real life. These boards just accelerate that. Don't be embarrassed about posting. I never thought I would have a pen-friend either!

We have never experienced anything like this on Celbrity. Hope it is not a mistake for us to try QM 2 for a short labor day cruise. The is will be from the new port in Brooklyn , NY , so I hope it will run smoothly. We have a sppecific cabin guaranteed--do you think that can be double booked or just pax with no specific cabin guarantee??? This is a bit unnerving to say the least, esp. with even Celebrity planning to build much larger vessels!

Absolutely! No so much the rambling (I do lots of that as well!) but the rest of your reasoning. I've said it before Karie, you always seem to be reading my thoughts. Are you part of the latest government eavesdropping program??

Phileas

Oh darn,

You're on to me!

Now all you have to do is figure out which one! Yours or mine!

Karie, who picked out her own home phone number- it ends in 0077- That's Double Oh Seven, seven to you! <G>

P&O next time though! -

Thanks Again

Okay- two points here (or a point and a question)

lansonlady, like reading the front page of your newspaper, the sensational stories are placed "over the fold" as they say. Because most of us here expect the best of Cunard, we just naturaly assume everyone knows that she is, after all, a Queen! There is a certain standard. Things that might be ignored and go by the wayside on a Carnival or Royal Caribbean cruise, get noticed on a Cunard. You pay more on a Cunard (usually) and you expect more. there is a certain standard you expect on Cunard. That's why a breach of "manners" from her is noticeable. Poor service is NEWS on Cunard. Sadly, on some ships, it simply comes with the territory. It wouldn't bear mention if that were status quo.

So, like reading about robberies and gangs and murders and wars and hate and intolerance on the front page makes you think the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and there is no hope left for humanity, the truth is, rarely do they print about a nice walk in the mountains, a flower show, a cooking academy, a young ladies finishing school or how marvelous the weather was today. How boring would THAT be? It certainly wouldn't sell papers! Tsunamis and landslides (and soccer melees) make news. The Manchester club donating to a children's hospital does not. At least not "above the fold," on the front page.

Trust me when I say you will have a marvelous time on your cruise. 98% (or more) of the service people you encounter will treat you like royalty yourself. There will be smiles all around, the wait will likely be minimal, but serve to remind you that all good things are worth waiting for, and the wait will merely serve to increase the deliciousness of your anticipation- much like a teaser before a satisfying meal.

You may encounter someone or some incident which does not measure up to the high standards you expect for a Queen, and you will feel that you should make a point of letting someone know of your disappointment. After all, you love the grand lady, and want her to be the best she can be. Some poor scruffy child scrabbling in the dirt, from the "wrong side of the tracks" you almost expect it (and usually expectations lead to reality, unfortunately- be careful of your assumptions) if they do not act "to the manor (or manner) born" But this! THIS is a Queen! And you expect her to present herself, always, as one.

Enjoy your trip. tell us all about it when you get back, both the good and the bad. And take all you read here with a grain of salt. After all, these are only our opinions and,as always, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

The Question? What is the difference (historically or currently) between P&O and Princess Cruises? I have never been on either.

Karie,

Who thinks wistfully, every day about the "horrible" time she had on her QM2 cruise, and dearly wishes she were back aboard being "miserable" again! <G>

I certainly enjoy a glass or two but I don't imagine I'm as dedicated as you!

Too late for me- already there!

You will probably arrange a meet at some point, often the first sea day- after everyone is settled, rested and unpacked.

Here is a suggestion I wish I had done.

Before the cruise, if anyone chooses to share their full names (last name too) or cabin numbers on these pages, do yourself a favor, and WRITE THEM DOWN! Put them with your ticket and passport, so you won't forget or misplace them. I cannot tell you how much I wanted to find a couple of the people who didn't make our little get-together (Still have the badges I made them and still owe someone an email to get his to him!) I wished I had had LAST NAMES! You could leave a message through the purser's desk. If they don't want to meet up, so be it, but not knowing cabin or last name, I had no way to find these people and may well have passed them in the hall or played trivia with them daily. I would never know! So make yourself a list of names and cabins. I even logged on, copied all the pages of our rollcall thread and tried to sort out any hints as to who the missing ones might be.

Oh, and if you meet, Don't be like idiot me! Had my camera with me, despite the huge group of cc'ers, I FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE OF ALL OF US! (So I guess we will all have to cruise together again!- Though I think I saw at least two cc'ers on the video- I still haven't watched it all, as my DVD isn't working for some reason.)

Elaine: Will you adopt me, PLEASE? I'm only 51. I'm still a mere child! Two cruises back to back, and you're having a "Shortish" cruise of "only" twelve nights? In a rear balcony suite? Surely you must long for a daughter to bring up in your image! I could be that daughter! Honest, I could! <LOL>

Some of us have to work for a living <sob> and can't take so much time away- After all, I am sure my huge company would shrivel up and die without me. And anyway, without all that work, I wouldn't be able to afford these wonderful (but all too occasional) cruises.

Karie,

Who STILL wishes she'd been born independently wealthy- you know, "old money, deah" instead of merely exquisitely beautiful, piquantly witty and superbly brilliant. (In addition to excrutiatingly humble <G>)

Archived