Cruiseline purchased air doesn't earn AA Loyalty points.

tcuprof

3 minutes ago, em-sk said:

The fine print is at:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/aeroplan/partners.html#/terms-and-conditions

Specifically: 

• Certain airline tickets are not eligible for earning points credits. These include, but not limited to the following;
    • Refunded, void, or unused tickets, including unused non-refundable tickets
    • Reward travel tickets or free promotional tickets
    • Travel agency/ industry reduced rate tickets
    • Tour conductors, companion tickets, Infant tickets (under age two)
    • Tickets purchased to carry excess baggage or special baggage such as musical instruments or to provide extra space for the primary passenger.
    • Single entity charter flights, unless otherwise specified.
    • Tickets issued at fares with rules that exclude the earning of points credit

The last point on the list is the issue.  We just don't know.  If the cruise line is access some special rates negotiated between the cruise line and the airline.    There are no shortage of special unpublished negotiated fares that you and me don't normally have access to.   For example the federal government or a major corporation like IBM would have worked out a special deal with AC.  They book into special fare rules we just don't have visibility into. 

You could be right. Or this point could refer to economy basic fares, as indicated in the following table:

image.thumb.png.deb4ebb4f59fb9988738b488d6f349a2.png

According to the table, only economy basic fares are not eligible. Business is business. I could be wrong of course, and this is why I'm looking for someone who actually booked with the cruise line. I could call Aeroplan of course, but not every agent would know, I already had some agents providing incorrect information.

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

we will be upgrading to business class

43 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I'm paying for a business class flight to Silversea in advance, it's not an upgrade.

Well, it's what you said in the first place.  Note the quote above.

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

You could be right. Or this point could refer to economy basic fares, as indicated in the following table:

image.thumb.png.deb4ebb4f59fb9988738b488d6f349a2.png

According to the table, only economy basic fares are not eligible. Business is business. I could be wrong of course, and this is why I'm looking for someone who actually booked with the cruise line. I could call Aeroplan of course, but not every agent would know, I already had some agents providing incorrect information.

I frequently use Royal Bank Avion and book through Avion some times using points and sometimes paying in cash.  It is usually cheaper that booking direct with AC.  The deal the Royal Bank and Air Canada has is none of those tickets earn Aeroplan points regardless of what is in that table.  That was not always the case, a few years ago you use to get Aeroplan points based on that table.

Each cruise line will have negotiated its own deal with AC.

2 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Well, it's what you said in the first place.  Note the quote above.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant that we will be upgrading directly with Silversea, not buying economy from them and then upgrading.

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I could be wrong of course, and this is why I'm looking for someone who actually booked with the cruise line.

Any past experiences with cruiseline air are moot.  It is the CURRENT fare rules for the ticket that you purchase that matters.

It is well established that cruiselines sell both published fare tickets and negotiated bulk non-published fare tickets.  Which one you get is unknown until after purchase - at best.  Sometimes it is almost impossible to find out the fare basis and the fare rules.

You want to be sure that you get your points for your AC flight.  The one way to assure this....buy the ticket from AC directly.

End of story.

11 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Any past experiences with cruiseline air are moot.  It is the CURRENT fare rules for the ticket that you purchase that matters.

It is well established that cruiselines sell both published fare tickets and negotiated bulk non-published fare tickets.  Which one you get is unknown until after purchase - at best.  Sometimes it is almost impossible to find out the fare basis and the fare rules.

You want to be sure that you get your points for your AC flight.  The one way to assure this....buy the ticket from AC directly.

End of story.

Well, for our cruise we get the fare from Silversea for $3,150, including all transfers. Cash price of those tickets with AC is around $6k..

36 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Well, for our cruise we get the fare from Silversea for $3,150, including all transfers. Cash price of those tickets with AC is around $6k..

So....you want "the deal" AND you want the points.

Got it.

TANSTAAFL

9 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

So....you want "the deal" AND you want the points.

Got it.

TANSTAAFL

Yes I do. Doesn't everyone? I do get the miles when I book flights with Aeroplan rewards.