Sailing from PCN on a launch day -Independence

Sailing on the IN on 8/29/22 and just learned that the maiden launch of the Artemis I rocket is scheduled for that morning around 8:30am.  A quote from a group post, "this is the most powerful rocket ever launched in space flight history", so I'm thinking this will be very popular.  (I wondered why all the hotel rooms for 8/28 were gone) Question - what are we looking at in terms of driving into the Port area that morning (besides 5 ships in)?  Roads? Blockages? Crazy congestion?  Should we consider staying in Cocoa Beach on the 28th?  We live on the west coast of Florida and we know bridge and highway congestion just from spring break - can't image what this could mean.  Could someone please offer advice? Thanks.

Thanks !!!!!. We’ve decided to book the 3 day before the 8/29 sailing just to avoid the potential for craziness - at least, NASA and traffic/crowding craziness.  My dream - book a cruise to avoid gridlock lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonto524 said:

Thanks !!!!!. We’ve decided to book the 3 day before the 8/29 sailing just to avoid the potential for craziness - at least, NASA and traffic/crowding craziness.  My dream - book a cruise to avoid gridlock lol.

Indy a few weeks ago

Definitely worth a little inconvenience 

20220618_155209.jpg.be5433ec4111e37d16a5dbddcbe135fa.jpg

20220618_171123.jpg.52f013cbd6a4c932e555fe47c8df9e7f.jpg

20220618_171005.jpg.6b1935ec9ad7329f3496c5c03c96e184.jpg

20220618_170949.jpg.ecbbad03f290f2406f75bdcdc91d928d.jpg

• Like 1

Exciting.  I'm on the 8/29 Indy sailing as well.  I saw how high rates were so I booked a hotel over in Melbourne area.  I figured I wasn't getting in until later in the evening so no reason to overpay for a place to sleep.  @John&LaLaif there is a launch that morning, would you recommend I come across 520 or 404 to work my way up to the port?  404 would be going south before I go north.  But not by much.

9 minutes ago, dwp10mm said:

Exciting.  I'm on the 8/29 Indy sailing as well.  I saw how high rates were so I booked a hotel over in Melbourne area.  I figured I wasn't getting in until later in the evening so no reason to overpay for a place to sleep.  @John&LaLaif there is a launch that morning, would you recommend I come across 520 or 404 to work my way up to the port?  404 would be going south before I go north.  But not by much.

404 is better, less lights

Perfect. Thank you so much for the assist.  Our boarding time is 11:00.  And since we are used to getting up at 5:30 I don't mind a little longer drive.  If it looks like the launch is a go, we will likely head over early anyway to try and get a better view.  I haven't seen a launch since the first Challenger launch way back in 1983.  There was supposed to be one in 2019 when we were boarding Harmony.  But it was pushed back a day and we missed it.  

• Like 1