Review of Dawn 2/12/06~Professional Viewpoint

seahorse

Ce; with kids I would think twice about HAL. Princess would be a better bet, but still better would be to stick with RCI or Carnival. Of course if you are planing on the Caribbean you won't have many choices as most all the ships will be in Europe or Alaska. NMNita

nmNita, I appreciate your opinion. I will cross off HAL and make Princess questionable and spend more time looking at RCI and Carnival. I have been very satisified with both lines in past. I just really enjoy the whole cruise experience and like to try as many different things as possible. My daughter is 19 and my son is 15 and I was looking at the Caribbean or the West Coast of Mexico.

Hi Ada--glad to hear you enjoyed 10006. Nice to hear from someone who stayed in that particular AA! :D We can hardly believe the cruise is almost here--we booked it 14 months ago, at which time we selected 10006.

What would be something that you would recommend we do with our wonderful suite? Is there anything you tried that you'd advise us to steer clear of? How usable were the balconies? Problems with wind or anything else?

It was in the 20s here this morning :eek: , and we're spending the weekend at a local ski resort. The Caribbean temps are going to be a real treat!

Thanks Ada! Carla

Hi Ada--glad to hear you enjoyed 10006. Nice to hear from someone who stayed in that particular AA! :D We can hardly believe the cruise is almost here--we booked it 14 months ago, at which time we selected 10006.

What would be something that you would recommend we do with our wonderful suite? Is there anything you tried that you'd advise us to steer clear of? How usable were the balconies? Problems with wind or anything else?

It was in the 20s here this morning :eek: , and we're spending the weekend at a local ski resort. The Caribbean temps are going to be a real treat!

Thanks Ada! Carla

Carla -

We really enjoyed both balconies! It became a little community on sail aways with people popping up on their front balconies to watch as the ship left port .... some nights it got a bit breezy (it was VERY breezy and cold as we left NYC, but we toughed it out for quite awhile, the view was stupendous) as we left the various ports, but there were a few nights that it was absolutely wonderful to just stand out front and enjoy the weather and scenery.

My husband got very good at making our sail away Margaritas ... we picked up some good tips at the margarita clinic we attended. The side balcony was great when the ship was moving (it was nice when we were in port too, but I appreciated it when it was a bit brisk out in front). There were a few times when we opened the doors in a certain order we'd get a high pitch whistle, but I think we got the hang of things after awhile.

The chaise type chair in the living room is wonderful for napping. I enjoyed leaving the side balcony sliders open so we could hear the waves below, and let the ship rock me to sleep.

We were badly in need of some peace, quiet and rest (not big party animals) and were able to spend some nice stretches in the room ... so much space to just enjoy. No need to find a quiet spot in the library or a card room, we just headed back to the room for a nap or listen to music. Even with the blizzard/waves/flight woes for the last two days of our vacation we still came home with our batteries recharged and I think the suite helped that process.

Breakfast in the room is wonderful, and there were a few days that Carmen's phone call letting us know that she was on the way acted as our wake up call. I have to admit, we rapidly got to the point we didn't want anything fancy for breakfast, just cereal, milk, and fruit (we enjoyed sliced strawberries and asked for brown sugar to go with them). We took our own Peets coffee so Carmen just kept us stocked with 1/2 and 1/2.

It was nice to have the unlimited bottled water, we went through a couple of bottles a day (we liked the sparkling water the best). We also got any sodas we wanted, so even though we're not big soda drinkers, it was nice to have the soda available.

Carmen will learn your routine pretty quickly ... although post it notes worked well to let her know what we needed (we tried not to call her).

We did get one of those over the door shoe holders and just hung it up in the closet (it's a WONDERFUL closet) ... it worked well. I also had duct tape, and I was very glad that last night with the large waves.

The thing my husband misses the most is the shower! Our shower at home is SOOOO whimpy compared to the shower on the ship.

We didn't realize we had a doorbell, until Carmen let us know what we were hearing .... felt a bit foolish, but I really hadn't thought about it.

I just realized I've been wandering, so hopefully, it's not too much drivel and there's some actual information you can use!!!:o

ENJOY yourself. It's a wonderful space to take a cruise in.

Ada

I agree......if you pay for it .......you should get it, but sometimes you pick your battles. There was no way I was going to complain about dust when the cabin stewards friends and family were under 30' of mud:(

I felt that too much attention was given to the $$$ cabins. Like I said....a phone call.....a note.......".is there anything that I can do for you?" My non-tip was my response.

My cabin didn`t exactly cost chump change.......full price, no up sell.

150 suites for the Concierge to look after? My question to you is that if you stay in a hotel, does the Concierge come knocking on your door? If you need the Concierge just pick up the phone and call yourself!

My first sailing on the Dawn in December 05 was in a AD suite. I called Concierge Claudio everyday to make my dinner bookings. He was terrific and accommodating in everyway! He got MY tip :)

Greetings all!

Cosmopolitan and greenie--We'll be on the Dawn's 3/16 sailing (14 days, but who's counting?), in Suite 10006. Our friends will be in the connecting Penthouse 10008, and our cousins in the connecting balcony stateroom 10002. Our boys will be across the hall in the corner interior stateroom. We'll have fun regardless!

I really appreciate all the tips and information the three of you provide!

Carla

Pamperme/Pamperher ~

Sounds like, with the suites you've booked, you may be heading to a GV upsell - if they're still open???

On the 10th deck, you should have Carmen. Corina will be there for a few days of your cruise (but she should be on deck 9).

If you have Carmen, ask her to bring Corina up for you to say "hi" to. The two of them are hysterical together. We had many laughs.

They are BOTH GREAT butlers. Don't know who the butler will be that is replacing Corina.

Request anything! They do everything they can for you. Mixers, soda, water, ANYTHING! Salty snacks, sweet snacks, anything!

On our first cruise, we somehow managed every afternoon on the "at sea" days to relax on our balconies with drinks and gratuity platters. It was VERY relaxing!

Carry you suite phone with you...if you decide during the day that you want to head back to your suite, just dial your butler and order what you like. It will be there when you get back to your suite.

You can also dial your concierge to make reservations for the evening if you stroll around and look at the menus.

I also HAVE to have my coffee when I wake up. You can order a pot of coffee (on the card that you hang outside) for one time (say 7am) and then mark your breakfast for the time you like (say 8am).

They will deliver anything you desire at whatever time you request.

Balconies are wonderful. Try to have dinner on the balcony at least once:)

[quote name='greenie']Carla, you lucky thang--

you will have a wonderful experienxe. All those cabins together--how fun! I have never been in 10006 (was in 9506). I would have, but Cosmopolitan refused to let me take a tour ;) :D when she was living above me!

Have a GREAT time and smooth seas. I wonder if Corinne is still there ...[/quote]

AHEM...Greenie..I understand you were too busy having your "double" Margaritas.
And...did your "horn-in" on MY butler who was on deck 10????? lol

Corina will be leaving soon!
We will miss her terribly BUT...she can finally meet up with her husband:)

Bermuda is sure tempting to me also;)

[quote name='seahorse']We were in cabin 10228 I suggest that you get an extra duvet and put it UNDER the sheet on the mattress.......and take a look at that mattress pad Make sure that you get a new one.......maybe they replaced it already:)

If you find any dirty socks or......under the bed......they are not ours:D
[/quote]

Ann ~

Can they request an egg crate for over their mattress?

We were in an AC in Feb., and our mattress was also concave but I didn't think of the egg carton:(

We always also request at "flat top sheet" for under the duvet.

The concave mattress did help to keep us in the bed during the N'easter;)

We were left with knee-highs on a shelf:eek:

[quote name='seahorse']Food Changes

The food quality, quantity and variety have changed. This is not a good change. It is a cost cutting measure, bottom line. I think it is to get more people to eat in the pay restaurants as well.

Someone said to me......."Tell your clients to eat in the pay restaurants." This is not an option. You cannot tell people "the food is not that good....you paid for this cruise with your hard-earned money.....so I suggest that you PAY MORE to get a good meal". Not a good thing. I hope they go back, but something tells me they will not. So I can not make this a selling point for NCL.

BTW.....OXTAILS is Peasant Food......prunes are for the elderly....and vegetarians eat other foods besides eggplant:p
[/quote]

Ann ~

Always appreciate your intelligent comments. Keep them coming;)

We just returned from our 3rd Dawn cruise (in 2 years).
We also found a big change in the menus.

We thought:
1. [B]Less[/B] selections regarding appetizers, soups, salads and entrees. (smaller menu)

2. Entrees much LESS enticing...too much salmon and chicken and.. pasta on every menu every night!

3. WE enjoy Cagney's, LeBistro and Teppanyaki...but not every night.

4. We thought the lunch menus (in Venetian) were much better than the dinner menus.

5. Why eliminate the President's menu and keep the Caribbean menu??

Haven't sent my letter to headquarters yet...but I will.

On the bright side...we STILL do enjoy the service and the ship.
The food change will NOT keep us away from NCL!
I'm sure it will improve:)

[quote name='ce2000']seahorse, I appreciate your review. I was on the NCL Jewel between Christmas and New Year's day, and was very disappointed in the food in the main dinning rooms, except for breakfast. Tsar's Palace did serve a very good breakfast each morning that I ate in there. When the food isn't very good, the service doesn't much matter, though the service in the main dinning rooms was generally pretty good. I thought about going down and having the gratuity adjusted to compensate for the poor food in the main dinning rooms, but didn't. Is there something else that I could have done to show my displeasure with the quality of food? This was the first time that I have sailed with NCL and was looking forward to trying the freestyle concept, but this didn't work for us. We usually cruise as a family and we make up a party of 10 or 12 people. It was difficult getting resevations made in the specialty restaurants for a party this large, we did eat in Cagney's one evening and the food was great, but we paid for it. Before this cruise I was under the impression that freestyle meant that I could eat where I wanted, when I wanted, but that was not the case. It was necessary to make reservations well in advance. That just is not what I would call freestyle. I did not know where or when I wanted to eat two or three days before hand so that I could make the necessary reservations. I know that this is more difficult with a party of 10 or 12, and I'm sure since this was the Christmas Cruise, the ship was probably full so perhaps this wasn't normal, but it was my first cruise with NCL and I was somewhat dissappointed. Howerver the ship is very nice, the only ship that I have been on that was better was the Celebrity Summit.[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the menus on the Jewel
We sailed her last Sept., and the menus were as good as the Dawn.

Perhaps they changed the menus fleetwide???? Dawn menus were not great this Feb. We noticed a big difference from last year.

Not sure what the "glitch" is with the reservations??
There never used to be a problem with reservations or lines at the restaurants??

Something MUST have been changed???

Maybe Ann knows????

[quote name='seacruiser25']150 suites for the Concierge to look after? My question to you is that if you stay in a hotel, does the Concierge come knocking on your door? If you need the Concierge just pick up the phone and call yourself!

My first sailing on the Dawn in December 05 was in a AD suite. I called Concierge Claudio everyday to make my dinner bookings. He was terrific and accommodating in everyway! He got MY tip :)[/quote]

I am paying for butler and concierge service in a suite......I do not pay for it in a hotel. Every other suite that I have stayed in the concierge was very attentive and was personal.

A phone call welcoming us and let me know if there is" Anything that I can do for you". is not too much to ask in my opinion:)

[quote name='Cosmopolitan']Ann ~

We thought:
1. [B]Less[/B] selections regarding appetizers, soups, salads and entrees. (smaller menu)

2. Entrees much LESS enticing...too much salmon and chicken and.. pasta on every menu every night!

4. We thought the lunch menus (in Venetian) were much better than the dinner menus.

I'm sure it will improve:)[/QUOTE]

I think you summed up the current food situation on the Dawn exactly right. We recently completed our 4th cruise on the Dawn. We also missed the President's Menu (rack of lamb) and enjoyed lunch in Venetian. We still intend to make our annual winter-getaway on the Dawn and we hope NCL is paying attention to the comments of their repeat passengers.

Thanks Cosmo and everyone for your encouraging and kind comments...well..almost everyone;)

I know that NCL reads these boards and it was my intention to make them aware that their loyal customers are not pleased.

I think that most of us will go back and hope they change their "Experiment". If they do not........I really don`t know what the outcome will be.

It has been my experience that once mediocrity is accepted the "Test" will be, "How much LESS will the market bare." Very slippery slope.

Other cruise lines are trying to give more, better bedding through out the entire fleet, etc. The Excellence factor at HAL for example. You can even buy their beds and linens on line.......how great is that:D

[quote name='Cosmopolitan']Ann ~

We thought:

I'm sure it will improve:)[/quote]

A perfect summary - I like the idea of a pasta dish each night but most nights they too had the salmon or the chicken in them.

For years on NCL there was nightly pasta. a steak choice, and then your theme entrees

Did I go hungry - not a chance. Are we going back same time next year - yes. Do I hope some of the choices better suit my taste yes. Will those changes upset someone else - yes.

[quote name='seahorse']

Other cruise lines are trying to give more, better bedding through out the entire fleet, etc. The Excellence factor at HAL for example. You can even buy their beds and linens on line.......how great is that:D[/quote]

They need better bedding - sleep is one of the prime activities on HAL:D :D

[quote name='shoreguy']A perfect summary - I like the idea of a pasta dish each night but most nights they too had the salmon or the chicken in them.

For years on NCL there was nightly pasta. a steak choice, and then your theme entrees

Did I go hungry - not a chance. Are we going back same time next year - yes. Do I hope some of the choices better suit my taste yes. Will those changes upset someone else - yes.[/quote]

I don`t mind changes as long as they have quality and variety. I think that would be the consensus of most people.

I would agree that NCL needs to take a very long -HARD- look at their bedding.
The linens are pitiful, and truly makes one feel as though they are back in the old college dorm with cast-offs.
The pillows, although abundant, are masses of lumps. Upon request, they did provide a feather pillow, but it was tacky too. (Don't refer to them as down - they don't get that description at all).
Our sheets were clean, but certainly worn, even with obvious long time stains. (Seahorse - I didn't check the mattress pad - but if I had, and it was found in the condition which you described, I would have been on that phone very quickly!-regardless of what else was going on in the world).
The mattresses are definitely "pads" and not even good quality ones. Anytime they run out of foam egg crate pads, they should get the message quickly!
The bedspreads on the Spirit are comical - large circus stripes, in colors which might be nice in a childs room.
This was truly our only disappointment with NCL. It did not ruin our cruise, but it would have been so very nice to have had a nice comfortable bed, with luxurious linens. The duvet was the only saving grace. I did not understand the lack of a top sheet between the duvet and the lower one. I asked for, and received top sheets. An example of cutting corners in the wrong place, IMHO.
We felt very well taken care of by our steward/stewardess, with no complaints, but the bedding issue definitely lingers in the back of our minds.
A bit of quality is needed, and certainly bedding is the only thing other than the carpet and room colors which one has to obtain the "Luxurious" feeling in an inside cabin. I must say, that the bathroom, with it's wonderful huge shower far exceeded our expectations. But, we didn't sleep there!:rolleyes:

Sail,

I noticed the matress pad the morning we were leaving:eek: when they stripped the beds........we had not departed the room yet.

It still gives me the creeps:(

I WILL check it the day we get on the next time.

I haven't noticed the matress pads and maybe I do not want to, as for the pillows, this seems to be a problem on all cruiselines as well as most hotels we have stayed at. They just aren't quite right; that being said, we have never found the beds to be uncomfortable at all and the linens: well the Sun, the old Sky and the Jewel certainly did not have worn or pitiful linens; quite the opposite and I beleive NCL was the first to adopt the duvet idea. Maybe I am just not aware of what goes on as much as some of you. We will be on the Sun 6 weeks from today: I intend to pay very close attention to a few things. As for fewer meat choices, being a lover of fish and chicken, as long as there are a couple of choices and meat a few times I will be happy. Shoreguy, I will take your Salmon!! With so many seemingly not happy with the new menus maybe NCL will bring back some of your favorites. NMnita

[quote name='newmexicoNita']I haven't noticed the matress pads and maybe I do not want to, as for the pillows, this seems to be a problem on all cruiselines as well as most hotels we have stayed at. They just aren't quite right; that being said, we have never found the beds to be uncomfortable at all and the linens: well the Sun, the old Sky and the Jewel certainly did not have worn or pitiful linens; quite the opposite and I beleive NCL was the first to adopt the duvet idea. Maybe I am just not aware of what goes on as much as some of you. We will be on the Sun 6 weeks from today: I intend to pay very close attention to a few things. As for fewer meat choices, being a lover of fish and chicken, as long as there are a couple of choices and meat a few times I will be happy. Shoreguy, I will take your Salmon!! With so many seemingly not happy with the new menus maybe NCL will bring back some of your favorites. NMnita[/quote]

Perhaps you sailed on the Sky, Sun and I know the Jewel, when they were new?? Makes a big difference.

Dawn needs a good soft goods replacement. I think that they could do it without disruption to the sailings.

[quote name='seahorse']Perhaps you sailed on the Sky, Sun and I know the Jewel, when they were new?? Makes a big difference.

Dawn needs a good soft goods replacement. I think that they could do it without disruption to the sailings.[/QUOTE]That's why I said I am going to pay close attention: actually the Sky was nowhere near new when we sailed her, it was about 3 months before she went to Hawaii; the Jewel, of course was brand new as you know and the Sun was about a year old. She had gone into dry dock once, but I don't know what was done. I will pay close attention that's for certain. NMnita

[quote name='seahorse']Sail,
I noticed the mattress pad the morning we were leaving:eek: when they stripped the beds........we had not departed the room yet.
It still gives me the creeps:(
I WILL check it the day we get on the next time.[/QUOTE]

I will be checking more thoroughly too; even under the bed - I don't want to sleep above anyone else's dirty underwear!:eek:
Thanks for the Heads-Up!
I always do check bedding in hotel and motel rooms - don't know why I didn't think of it on a cruise ship.:o

[quote name='SailAways']I will be checking more thoroughly too; even under the bed - I don't want to sleep above anyone else's dirty underwear!:eek:
Thanks for the Heads-Up!
I always do check bedding in hotel and motel rooms - don't know why I didn't think of it on a cruise ship.:o[/QUOTE]
Talking about checking, on our last Celebrity cruise I was looking for an ear ring I had dropped and under the bed was a wine glass and 1 shoe. Neither belonged to us. I wonder if they missed their shoe? NMnita

Hey folks,

I had a little post cruise depression and stopped by for a visit. After reading this thread, I decided to make my first post and become a real CC member. My wife and I, we're also on the 2/12 cruise on the Dawn in Romance suite 10726. I'm sorry Seahorse, but I have to disagree with you when it comes to Alex, the Concierge. We took the advise that I learned here and introduced ourselves on the 1st night. We only used his services for dinner reservations, but he treated us great. He stopped by our table at dinner a couple of nights to check on us. He left several messages on our phone during the cruise and even stopped by our room to see how everything was going. After a small dinner reservation mixup, he bought us a bottle of wine. We thought he was great. I have to admit, this was the 1st time we used the services of a concierge, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I don't think we could have asked for better service.

Our biggest complaint, is that we were so spoiled in a suite, we will never sail any other way again. Carmen, our Butler, was an absolute delight, and Alexander and Jalvine kept our room immaculate. All these people were wonderful. Carmen and Jalvine really seemed to care about "our" vacation. They both asked about our adventures of the day and we really had some nice conversations. Great people.

Food

This was our 5th NCL cruise, and I do have to agree, some of the food has gone downhill. But it's up to the individuals taste. My wife and I both loved Cagnys and Salsa. I loved Teppanyaki and my wife thought it was OK. We both thought Le Bistro was not as good as in the past and we both thought La Trattoia was disgusting. But hey, my wife is 100% Italian and we have some of the best Italian Restaurants here on the N. Shore of Long Island, so I'm spoiled. Lunches in Venitian we're excellent. I loved the cold soups after being daring and trying them for the 1st time. I do agree that the new menues need some improvement. Just my 2 cents,for whats it worth.

All in all, we had a GREAT cruise.

Archived