Milkshakes - American Diner - PPBP

I've dropped a couple of questions in posts about this, but haven't seen a response, so figured I'd start a brand new topic. 

20220417_134236.thumb.jpg.70e034ad53919d3c7321761a22f54afc.jpg

In July we upgraded our beverage package, as part of the Free at Sea Plus, to the Premium Plus Beverage Package. At the time, my husband's PCC told us milkshakes are included. I've never seen this inclusion in print, so asked her again. She confirmed that milkshakes are covered.

Short story - I don't believe it. Have any of you had the Premium Plus Beverage Package (it's the upgraded package) and been able to order a milkshake, at no charge, from American Diner? I'd love to be wrong and my PCC be correct...please! 

And thank you! Photo of the best milkshake I've ever had for everyone's visual pleasure! Yep, it was at American Diner.

My "guess" is also no, not included.  Nowhere in the literature I've seen does it even mention milkshakes.  BUT is does say EVERYTHING in a glass is included.  There are two PDF versions of the Premium Beverage Plus package, and I think this 2021 is the most recent version.

premium-plus-beverage-package-2021v2.pdf

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

For reference, Carnival & HAL have free milkshakes in their regular package (even alcoholic ones)

Royal Caribbean, too. If you're on a ship with Johnny Rockets, that venue's milkshakes are included in the Refreshment and Deluxe Beverage Package.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

My "guess" is also no, not included.  Nowhere in the literature I've seen does it even mention milkshakes.  BUT is does say EVERYTHING in a glass is included.  There are two PDF versions of the Premium Beverage Plus package, and I think this 2021 is the most recent version.

premium-plus-beverage-package-2021v2.pdf 282.22 kB · 11 downloads

“Includes all beverages by the glass” I think means fountain drinks, not cans. 

like many others, i don't know the definitive answer to your question, but since i gather from other posts that you're committed to traveling in the haven... remember that on embarkation day, the american diner is typically free for lunch to all haven guests. and i know their milkshakes are included on that day.  (in fact, their milkshakes bring all the haven boys to the yard.)

my suggestion would be to go to the american diner on embarkation day - henceforth known as "milkshake day" - and be friendly with the staff and develop a relationship. they will be able to tell you whether milkshakes are included in your package and, if they're not included, they may be able to bend the rules if you come back for more on other days.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

like many others, i don't know the definitive answer to your question, but since i gather from other posts that you're committed to traveling in the haven... remember that on embarkation day, the american diner is typically free for lunch to all haven guests. and i know their milkshakes are included on that day.  (in fact, their milkshakes bring all the haven boys to the yard.)

my suggestion would be to go to the american diner on embarkation day - henceforth known as "milkshake day" - and be friendly with the staff and develop a relationship. they will be able to tell you whether milkshakes are included in your package and, if they're not included, they may be able to bend the rules if you come back for more on other days.

LOL! I see what you did there...a Kelis fan?!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry but it is not included.

I had lunch in American Diner first day on board on my March-April cruise on the Epic. Milkshake was delicious, but not free. It was not only on my bill but also as we were still in port, also taxed.

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2022 at 11:10 AM, cruiseny4life said:

20220417_134236.thumb.jpg.70e034ad53919d3c7321761a22f54afc.jpg

... Have any of you had the Premium Plus Beverage Package (it's the upgraded package) and been able to order a milkshake, at no charge, from American Diner? . . .

We upgraded to the Premium Plus for our cruise in May on Joy. We were charged for the milkshakes at American Diner.

• Thanks 2

On 7/29/2022 at 7:36 PM, UKstages said:

We do hit up American Diner on the first day as we enjoy the mozzarella sticks and milkshake. Unfortunately the milkshake does cost money, even on free Haven lunch day. It will be milkshake day though!

We will definitely be asking on this trip...and will be disappointed if milkshakes aren't included (which I fear they're not). Oh well!

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2022 at 3:34 PM, scooter6139 said:

I think I'm going to print this out and see if they'll give us the milkshakes. I kind of doubt it, yes I think we're right that it's not included. Oh well - things that NCL makes customers keep on wondering about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

We upgraded to the Premium Plus for our cruise in May on Joy. We were charged for the milkshakes at American Diner.

Yikes!! I didn't see this until I posted all those responses. Thank you so much - that is really, really helpful!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 6:35 PM, coastcat said:

Royal Caribbean, too. If you're on a ship with Johnny Rockets, that venue's milkshakes are included in the Refreshment and Deluxe Beverage Package.

Adult milkshakes too...had one, was good.

I was just on the Encore and saw a group of teens bring bowls of ice cream from the hard scoop ice cream in the buffet to the bar.  The bartender used the blender and the “ice cream” flavour drink mix in the carton along with the ice cream in the bowl to make the boys’ milkshakes.  He added whipped cream and cherries too.

12 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I am adding frozen tiramisu to my drink repertoire!  I’ve never seen one before.  Do you know what’s in it, please?

Each bartender has made it a bit differently... usually some combination of espresso, Kahlua, amaretto, creme de cocoa and ice cream mix.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Adult milkshakes are free with the regular drink package. I get frozen grasshoppers, mudslides, tiramisu's all the time with no charge. Just need to find a bar that has the ingredients you need.

Tiramisu milkshake, oh my ........

12 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I am adding frozen tiramisu to my drink repertoire!  

Me too!!!!!

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but I was searching for this information too. Thanks to everyone for their answers (although I'm still going to try and see if milkshakes are included on the Premium Plus package on my Bliss cruise next month). It's kinda dumb that they aren't, to be honest.

• Like 1

just to bring you up to speed... the american diner is now a complimentary restaurant, but they've kept milkshakes on their revised menu... for a fee. they are not, as of now, covered by any drink package.

• Like 1

And not to be the lone negative nelly, I love me a good milkshake, but for me it was a one and done and not worth the upcharge. Maybe just cause I don't like whipped cream and nearly half of it was cream, but I'm in the low minority who don't go there for the shakes.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

And not to be the lone negative nelly, I love me a good milkshake, but for me it was a one and done and not worth the upcharge. Maybe just cause I don't like whipped cream and nearly half of it was cream, but I'm in the low minority who don't go there for the shakes.

And here I am espousing how wonderful they are! But, I haven't experienced that much cream in the milkshake. I'd be equally as disappointed if there were so much whipped cream. Just a dollop on top, please! 

A long time ago, I do have confirmation that the milkshakes do not qualify for the premium plus beverage package. Still, you should ask! Who knows if something has changed. 

I still call a milkshake a beverage, not a dessert so it should qualify, but not to NCL. I agree with you @moviegal!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I still call a milkshake a beverage, not a dessert so it should qualify, but not to NCL. I agree with you @moviegal!

It's silly, because you can get a mudslide for free. That's just an alcoholic milkshake, which is even better. 

So now if we're staying in the Haven I just take that trick and get frozen grasshoppers (thin mint girl scout cookie milkshake), frozen toasted almonds (tastes like the good humor ice cream bars), and anything else they'll make frozen and alcoholic for me.

• Like 3

@Sailing12Away My husband has ordered a pina colada in the Haven restaurant and asked them to make it with vanilla ice cream instead of ice. They have to run down to the bar to get the drink anyway, so they take the ice cream down to them, but he felt like he was being a little too much work! He did tip them nicely. And it was delicious!!

• Like 1