Has anyone been able to board with a passport valid less than 6 months?

mary_228

Just noticed husband's passport expires about 4 months after embarkation. According to a Viking terms, 6 months is required. Problem is that we only have 7 weeks before sailing. Theoretically, that is enough time for an expedited passport renewal to be completed. However, this is risky of course!

NONE of the countries we are visiing require anything more than 3 months validity. My TA called Viking and was told that boarding should not be an issue. Viking would only deny this booking if we booked airfare with Viking. 

Just wonderd if anyone here had an issue like this, and how it was handled. TIA

My recent passport renewal time was 7 weeks.  I did not do expedited.  Sent it in after our last cruise knowing I would need it again for next one.  Booking Viking Air was not possible without a passport valid for 6 months after departure.

• Like 1

Remember summer 2021?  Realized mine expired May 2021.   US passport agency said 18 weeks for renewal.  Had to renew by mail, not possible in person, except in extreme emergencies (it was't). Cruising just started back up and knew I would want to go sometime.  Mailed everything to agency in mid June.  Was surprised to receive new passport in about 7 weeks.  Booked Venus next day!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

My recent passport renewal time was 7 weeks.  I did not do expedited.  Sent it in after our last cruise knowing I would need it again for next one.  Booking Viking Air was not possible without a passport valid for 6 months after departure.

I had the same experience, 7 weeks non-expedited. You should be able to send it off Monday expedited ($60 extra) and have it back in plenty of time. 

• Like 1

Just renewed a passport last month. Used expedited, got new passport back 3 weeks from when I sent the old one. Old passport came a few weeks later by regular mail - only a concern if that passport has a visa that is still valid (mine had 4 years left on India visa). So 7 weeks should be enough time. But it’t too close for my comfort - my passport had 9 months left and I had a long summer window between trips so I did it early. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Symmes99 said:

Just renewed a passport last month. Used expedited, got new passport back 3 weeks from when I sent the old one. Old passport came a few weeks later by regular mail - only a concern if that passport has a visa that is still valid (mine had 4 years left on India visa). So 7 weeks should be enough time. But it’t too close for my comfort - my passport had 9 months left and I had a long summer window between trips so I did it early. 

This was my experience too when I renewed my passport in Jan.  I expedited it and it took 3 weeks.  I had to renew mine early as I was out of pages, and had only a few windows I could do it in.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mary_228 said:

Just noticed husband's passport expires about 4 months after embarkation. According to a Viking terms, 6 months is required. Problem is that we only have 7 weeks before sailing. Theoretically, that is enough time for an expedited passport renewal to be completed. However, this is risky of course!

NONE of the countries we are visiing require anything more than 3 months validity. My TA called Viking and was told that boarding should not be an issue. Viking would only deny this booking if we booked airfare with Viking. 

Just wonderd if anyone here had an issue like this, and how it was handled. TIA

Some years ago, I booked a tour in Japan,(I’m a professional musician) and only had two weeks before we were to leave. I used the service where a person walks your paperwork across the street to the passport office in Washington DC, and then overnights the passport to you. Took 24 hours, and I think it cost me about $125. Well worth it. I don’t remember the name of the company, but I’m sure it can be found by googling.

5 hours ago, longterm said:

Some years ago, I booked a tour in Japan,(I’m a professional musician) and only had two weeks before we were to leave. I used the service where a person walks your paperwork across the street to the passport office in Washington DC, and then overnights the passport to you. Took 24 hours, and I think it cost me about $125. Well worth it. I don’t remember the name of the company, but I’m sure it can be found by googling.

I used this for my son when he suddenly was sent out of the country for work.  He did not have a passport and had a company, as you describe, do it for him.  It worked well.