First time in Barbados

aururab

We are a group of 10 (6 adults and 4 kids ages 6 to 10) going on a RCI 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan this winter, and it is so many new ports for us and I am struggling with what to do in Barbados to really get a feel for the island.

My husband would like do some rum tasting, other than that, none of us have any ideas for Barbados, what would you all suggest?  I've included the rest of our ports and what we are considering for tours on each island below in case that helps at all. Pretty up in the air about St. Kitts as well, but I will post that question to that page! 🙂 

One of my biggest challenges is planning which islands to do water based tours, and which to explore by land! We have a few SCUBA divers, and everyone loves to snorkel... 

Charlotte Amalie  - Private full day snorkel excursion 
St. Croix                 -  Half day to Buck Island
St Maarten            -  No excursion. Shopping, beach. Relax. 
St Lucia                  -  Zip lining, jeep safari, waterfalls
Barbados               -  Too much to discover! No idea what to do. 
St Kitts                    - Rent a car or take a bunch of taxi’s and explore the island 
Edited by aururab

5 hours ago, aururab said:

We are a group of 10 (6 adults and 4 kids ages 6 to 10) going on a RCI 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan this winter, and it is so many new ports for us and I am struggling with what to do in Barbados to really get a feel for the island.

My husband would like do some rum tasting, other than that, none of us have any ideas for Barbados, what would you all suggest?  I've included the rest of our ports and what we are considering for tours on each island below in case that helps at all. Pretty up in the air about St. Kitts as well, but I will post that question to that page! 🙂 

One of my biggest challenges is planning which islands to do water based tours, and which to explore by land! We have a few SCUBA divers, and everyone loves to snorkel... 

Charlotte Amalie  - Private full day snorkel excursion 
St. Croix                 -  Half day to Buck Island
St Maarten            -  No excursion. Shopping, beach. Relax. 
St Lucia                  -  Zip lining, jeep safari, waterfalls
Barbados               -  Too much to discover! No idea what to do. 
St Kitts                    - Rent a car or take a bunch of taxi’s and explore the island 

If considering a Rum Distillery Tour/Taste then go to

Foursquare.  Sometimes Richard will be in attendance.  Also there may be an opportunity to purchase some rare expressions.

For the adults a vis it to Washington’s house would be of interest, a walk into American History, also Harrison’s caves and the Submarine trip would hold the little one’s attention. 

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Into

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, aururab said:

None of us are American and I had no idea Washington spent time in Barbados! 😉

I was thinking more something getting a feeling of the island itself.

Thanks for the rum tour tip!

Best idea is have a bespoke tour.  There is so much to see from caves to gardens.  Our go to operator retired some years ago, but hear Williams is doing great work with a growing reputation.

Contact Williams, discuss  your would/not likes and time period.  

Also, a stop for nice ethnic lunch such at JuJus, just opened up again after a massive fire, where food is good and your custom is valued.  Plus, to the sea/right from JuJus, about 40 yards offshore is where the cruise snorkelling tours swim.  If snorkelling is of interest while there, then easy rock free entrance to the sea from beach, is to the right, passing the “Lone Star Restaurant” by about 8/10 yards. You’ll not miss it.  Please - snorkelling before food and drinks/alcohol, not after.

Enjoy…

snorkelling 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 6:11 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Best idea is have a bespoke tour.  There is so much to see from caves to gardens.  Our go to operator retired some years ago, but hear Williams is doing great work with a growing reputation.

Contact Williams, discuss  your would/not likes and time period.  

Also, a stop for nice ethnic lunch such at JuJus, just opened up again after a massive fire, where food is good and your custom is valued.  Plus, to the sea/right from JuJus, about 40 yards offshore is where the cruise snorkelling tours swim.  If snorkelling is of interest while there, then easy rock free entrance to the sea from beach, is to the right, passing the “Lone Star Restaurant” by about 8/10 yards. You’ll not miss it.  Please - snorkelling before food and drinks/alcohol, not after.

Enjoy…

snorkelling 

Hello, are you saying you can walk from the cruise dock for a short distance and snorkel at the beach? Do you know if they have snorkel equipment for rent? Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, butterfly55 said:

Hello, are you saying you can walk from the cruise dock for a short distance and snorkel at the beach? Do you know if they have snorkel equipment for rent? Thanks in advance.

There are bars along Carlisle Bay that offer beds and snorkelling tours by boat (equipment supplied) that many walk.  Short distance? About 20/30 minutes depending on mobility.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 4:15 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

There are bars along Carlisle Bay that offer beds and snorkelling tours by boat (equipment supplied) that many walk.  Short distance? About 20/30 minutes depending on mobility.

Thank you. I will see what I can find.

5 hours ago, butterfly55 said:

Has anyone ever taken the buses from the port?

Bus station is about a 15/20 minute walk from the ship.

There're shuttle minivans (taxi) from the holding area outside the terminal.  They wait to fill then go, cab taxi captains will direct one on arrival at the perimeter.  Just state one’s destination.

18 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Bus station is about a 15/20 minute walk from the ship.

There're shuttle minivans (taxi) from the holding area outside the terminal.  They wait to fill then go, cab taxi captains will direct one on arrival at the perimeter.  Just state one’s destination.

Thanks for the info. I read on their website that you have to use Barbados currency. Does anyone know if we can change our money at the cruise terminal?

1 minute ago, butterfly55 said:

Thanks for the info. I read on their website that you have to use Barbados currency. Does anyone know if we can change our money at the cruise terminal?

Pre COVID- Bus depot would take US$ and give change in local.  

Take small dollar bills ($1).

Most important - When boarding ask the driver to drop you off at the required stop, as they are used to passengers ringing the bell to notify the driver to stop at the next bus stop.  No ring, they just keep going, which is not good if one does not know the whereabouts of actual stop wanted.

Be warned…. Buses at the end of the day, going to Bridgetown, can be packed and even if one puts one’s hand out to indicate a stop, at an official bust stop, the bus (and possibly buses after) will just drive by.   Causing angst……Consider hailing a cab

2 hours ago, butterfly55 said:

Sorry forgot to add.  Taxis and minivans happy to take USD.

Note.  Beach chair hire, beach bars etc., publish prices in $ but this is Bajan $.  Divide Bajan $ by 2 to get USD.  Some traders may forget to advise “tourists”.

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Pre COVID- Bus depot would take US$ and give change in local.  

Take small dollar bills ($1).

Most important - When boarding ask the driver to drop you off at the required stop, as they are used to passengers ringing the bell to notify the driver to stop at the next bus stop.  No ring, they just keep going, which is not good if one does not know the whereabouts of actual stop wanted.

Be warned…. Buses at the end of the day, going to Bridgetown, can be packed and even if one puts one’s hand out to indicate a stop, at an official bust stop, the bus (and possibly buses after) will just drive by.   Causing angst……Consider hailing a cab

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

In 2019 we hired Stephen Applewhite with Big Apple Taxi Service.  He had a big van.  He drove us all around the island.  I had researched and made a list of things I wanted to see, and he added a few stops.  He took us out all day.  He was very informative and we had a great time.  (This included rum stop, haha). The island is stunning.  Thankful we were able to see so much of it.  Applewhite

The catamaran and other boat tours offering swimming with the turtles seem to anchor offshore near the Surfside restaurant in Holetown.  You can take the bus there and you barely have to swim out to join them.  We did that and saw people from our ship on tours swimming and snorkeling asking us which tour we were on.

There are 2 kinds of "buses," the official ones and the unofficial ones that are vans.  The official ones run on a schedule and may require local currency (don't remember).  The unofficial ones will take USD and blast loud "music?"

Edited by mcmarya

On 9/19/2022 at 10:15 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

As a Barbados regular, I recommend a beach day to be honest. Carlisle Bay as mentioned above is within walking distance, and the walk gives an impression of Bridgetown. 
Near the beach, behind the Radisson is a food truck called Cuzz, if I remember correctly, that serves great flying fish sandwiches. 

The Caribbean is all about being casual, no nonsense relaxation. Forget formal dinners , although you certainly can experience that too if you want. Foodtrucks, markets and such will on all islands give you the best local experience and to be honest often the best food too.

• Like 1