Specialty vs. a la carte restaurants - How does this work?

travelgip

I was reviewing menus to the "specialty" restaurants and have some questions:

1.  A specialty restaurant has a "cover charge" to go and dine.  Then I see prices next to items.  Is it one charge to go in and additional charges for each food item?  

2.  Does a "cover charge" apply to a la carte restaurants?  Do you pay a fee to go in and another for each item you order?

3.  In specialty restaurants, if it is just the cover charge for a meal, what is included?  Just 1 each of appetizer, main, dessert, or can you have multiple apps,  entrées and desserts?

Also, I have the free at sea package that comes with "unlimited open bar"  Is it worth it to upgrade to the premier drinks package?

Thank you

3 minutes ago, travelgip said:

1.  A specialty restaurant has a "cover charge" to go and dine.  Then I see prices next to items.  Is it one charge to go in and additional charges for each food item?  

There are two types of specialty restaurants - those with a cover charge and those that are a-la-carte.  The ones with prices on the menu don't have a cover charge.

4 minutes ago, travelgip said:

2.  Does a "cover charge" apply to a la carte restaurants?  Do you pay a fee to go in and another for each item you order?

See above

16 minutes ago, travelgip said:

I was reviewing menus to the "specialty" restaurants and have some questions:

3.  In specialty restaurants, if it is just the cover charge for a meal, what is included?  Just 1 each of appetizer, main, dessert, or can you have multiple apps,  entrées and desserts?

Also, I have the free at sea package that comes with "unlimited open bar"  Is it worth it to upgrade to the premier drinks package?

Thank you

Specialty dining comes in three forms. 

Cover Charge/Flat Fee - Teppanyaki and Monderno Brazilian steak house are examples. Teppanyaki are set menus and Monderno is all you can eat meat. You just pay the flat fee or use your dining credit. 

A la carte -  No cover charge. Pay by the item you purchase like McDonalds. If you use your dining package credit, you can order multiple appetizers, one entree, multiple sides and desserts. Some waiters will tell you it is 1,1,1 but that is not what the terms and the conditions of the package say. We always order multiples and have never got charged. 

Small Plates - there are a few restaurants that sell small plates (Food Republic, pincho tapa bar, sushi bar). For those restaurants, you get a fixed number of plates for a dining credit (usually 4 plates). 

There is no need to upgrade the beverage package. It covers the first $15 of any drink. If you go over $15, you pay the difference plus tip on the difference. Unless you order top shelf stuff, it is hard to exceed $15. The basic packs does not include Starbucks or bottled water,,, which most people can live without or pay for a week. 

• Like 2