MSC Shuttle in Marseille Port

Heartgrove

We will be in Marseille on a MSC Spendida cruise in October. This will be the second time for us to Marseille and wanted to see the city this time. Previously we were on an all-day excursion to Aux-En-Provence. I know that there is a free shuttle sponsored by the port but is logistically challenged. Does MSC run a shuttle from Dockside into the city, or should we just do the "Marseille City Tour?" Thanks!

33 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

Yes, MSC has a shuttle.  My experience in April was tickets were left in the cabin which you fill in and handover before you board the bus to the city.  No need to book anything or reserve.

Thanks for your response. Were the buses dockside, and where approximately did they drop you in Marseille?

On 8/3/2022 at 2:37 PM, Heartgrove said:

We will be in Marseille on a MSC Spendida cruise in October. This will be the second time for us to Marseille and wanted to see the city this time. Previously we were on an all-day excursion to Aux-En-Provence. I know that there is a free shuttle sponsored by the port but is logistically challenged. Does MSC run a shuttle from Dockside into the city, or should we just do the "Marseille City Tour?" Thanks!

We'll be visiting Marseille in April, we'd planned to use the port bus transfer. Could you elaborate on the issues with it please? 

If you take the free port bus:  It is a 10 minute walk from the ship to the bus stop (Terminal Croisières) and the bus can be very busy so you might not be able to get on the first one.  It takes you to Joliette from where you need another 15 minutes to walk to the old port (if that is your destination).   On the upside the bus travels within the port area so is faster as it doesn't get stuck in traffic.

https://moovitapp.com/index/en/public_transit-line-35T-Marseille_Metropole-1562-2221665-63048075-0

I've visited Marseille quite a few times, and would now take the port bus as we are in no hurry and just go for a walk around the city, a bite to eat, and see some sights.   The shuttle offered by MSC is certainly more convenient, and if it is your first (and likely only) time visiting Marseille it might offer you an extra hour in the city (at a relatively high costs though).

• Thanks 2

Jus a word of warning, maybe we had just bad luck: We waited for more than hour for the port bus, the crowds grew and grew, according to the schedule there should have been several buses, but they never came, we finally gave up. 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 4:18 PM, 8420PR said:

Yes, MSC has a shuttle.  My experience in April was tickets were left in the cabin which you fill in and handover before you board the bus to the city.  No need to book anything or reserve.

Yes that's how they operate their shuttle and there's a moderate charge which in our view is worth taking rather than the port service which is generally queued out!

• Like 1