Is your Seabourn cruise a set menu or a choice of ingredients?

Able Seaman H

On a somewhat deeper level this is probably more a question about how you live life.

You see two sides on here. A terrible cruise, standards slipping, penny pinching versus had a great time, so and so went above & beyond, really enjoyed the new…..

I always work with what I’ve got and try not to waste energy swimming against the current. Instead I turn round and let it take me in the direction of flow. Our travels in Thailand are a perfect example, we plan to go green but blue turns up so rather than rant & rave we see what blue has to offer. Maybe we’ll get to try green tomorrow.

A lot of people seem to rock up on Seabourn with very fixed expectations. Things have to be done in a very specific way be it food, drinks or other aspects of their vacation. Given the international clientele and staff there’s a high chance you’re laying yourself up for a fall. Throw in the fact you’re thousands of miles away from home in the middle of the ocean with the nearest shop more than a quick taxi ride away you do have to work with what you’ve got.

Take a morning coffee in the cabin before facing the world. We could order one but if we pre-order it takes away the spontaneity and the choice is limited to whatever the room service kitchen can rustle up. Instead I pop down to the square, grab exactly what we want then return to wake up properly. I’ve cut out all the possibility of being upset and annoyed.

On every single Seabourn cruise there have been stand out crew members and venues which we utilise in our menu of pleasure. Maybe it’s a particular bar that really runs well that cruise so we switch things around from our normal routine. On some cruises the club has been a bit dry and lacking, on others its been top drawer, so we adapt to our surroundings.

Food venues are the same, sometimes mood on the day or the style of cooking dictates we swap around a bit. We’ve had a couple of abject failures over the years - I can still taste the salty scallops, but we’ve had far more absolute treats. It helps that I really like the speciality offerings. 

I don’t drink these days but when I did we always managed to find a cheeky bottle of something from the house pour to ease us into the evening. If wine is your sole purpose for living then you will undoubtedly have to buy in but you must really struggle when travelling the world. 

It helps that I don’t start my cruise from the perspective of it being hugely expensive and so needing to be a once in a lifetime memory. It would be easy to spend your Seabourn fare renting a suite on a mainstream cruise line where the bulk of the ship is geared to $150 day cattle herding. I appreciate the space, the little extras, not being asked for my sea pass billing card on every corner and staff who, for the most part really do want to ensure your time aboard is enjoyable.

Those staff can’t change the world stage, the shortages, the pinch points, the health implications and so on but they can also work with what they’ve got. Let them use the ingredients at their disposal rather than asking for suff they don’t have and being disappointed.

I’ve said it before on here several times if you can’t enjoy your time onboard a Seabourn ship you’ve probably given up on life. When things have gone wrong I’ve always managed to speak directly to the hotel director who ensures action is taken, follows up to make sure all is well and we get treated like royalty from then on, sometimes embarrassingly so. Again it helps that I make a point of thanking and complimenting when things go well or someone adds to your day. Let them know they’re appreciated with equal energy and effort to when you complain.

It’s been a while since we’ve been on board. Good friends of ours are finally celebrating a belated honeymoon on board at the moment and I look forward to our return.

Godspeed everyone, not just on Seabourn but in life….

Henry 😎

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Able Seaman H said:

On a somewhat deeper level this is probably more a question about how you live life.

You see two sides on here. A terrible cruise, standards slipping, penny pinching versus had a great time, so and so went above & beyond, really enjoyed the new…..

I always work with what I’ve got and try not to waste energy swimming against the current. Instead I turn round and let it take me in the direction of flow. Our travels in Thailand are a perfect example, we plan to go green but blue turns up so rather than rant & rave we see what blue has to offer. Maybe we’ll get to try green tomorrow.

A lot of people seem to rock up on Seabourn with very fixed expectations. Things have to be done in a very specific way be it food, drinks or other aspects of their vacation. Given the international clientele and staff there’s a high chance you’re laying yourself up for a fall. Throw in the fact you’re thousands of miles away from home in the middle of the ocean with the nearest shop more than a quick taxi ride away you do have to work with what you’ve got.

Take a morning coffee in the cabin before facing the world. We could order one but if we pre-order it takes away the spontaneity and the choice is limited to whatever the room service kitchen can rustle up. Instead I pop down to the square, grab exactly what we want then return to wake up properly. I’ve cut out all the possibility of being upset and annoyed.

On every single Seabourn cruise there have been stand out crew members and venues which we utilise in our menu of pleasure. Maybe it’s a particular bar that really runs well that cruise so we switch things around from our normal routine. On some cruises the club has been a bit dry and lacking, on others its been top drawer, so we adapt to our surroundings.

Food venues are the same, sometimes mood on the day or the style of cooking dictates we swap around a bit. We’ve had a couple of abject failures over the years - I can still taste the salty scallops, but we’ve had far more absolute treats. It helps that I really like the speciality offerings. 

I don’t drink these days but when I did we always managed to find a cheeky bottle of something from the house pour to ease us into the evening. If wine is your sole purpose for living then you will undoubtedly have to buy in but you must really struggle when travelling the world. 

It helps that I don’t start my cruise from the perspective of it being hugely expensive and so needing to be a once in a lifetime memory. It would be easy to spend your Seabourn fare renting a suite on a mainstream cruise line where the bulk of the ship is geared to $150 day cattle herding. I appreciate the space, the little extras, not being asked for my sea pass billing card on every corner and staff who, for the most part really do want to ensure your time aboard is enjoyable.

Those staff can’t change the world stage, the shortages, the pinch points, the health implications and so on but they can also work with what they’ve got. Let them use the ingredients at their disposal rather than asking for suff they don’t have and being disappointed.

I’ve said it before on here several times if you can’t enjoy your time onboard a Seabourn ship you’ve probably given up on life. When things have gone wrong I’ve always managed to speak directly to the hotel director who ensures action is taken, follows up to make sure all is well and we get treated like royalty from then on, sometimes embarrassingly so. Again it helps that I make a point of thanking and complimenting when things go well or someone adds to your day. Let them know they’re appreciated with equal energy and effort to when you complain.

It’s been a while since we’ve been on board. Good friends of ours are finally celebrating a belated honeymoon on board at the moment and I look forward to our return.

Godspeed everyone, not just on Seabourn but in life….

Henry 😎

Very well said Henry.  I can't imagine NOT enjoying a Seabourn cruise no matter if the menus were just to my taste or the service was a bit less than expected.  It is the entire experience we are going for--and it has always been special.   

• Like 3

Henry,

One half of the honeymoon couple hear.😁

I knew Wendy was the right girl when she awoke this morning and strode off to Seabourn Square to return with my coffee as we arrived at anchor in Patmos.

We had a lovely birthday dinner in TK on our first night and shared a chicken there last night also.

I must say that the ship is in excellent shape and is spotlessly clean.

I know the Hotel Director well and that insures that we can guarantee a wonderful trip.

A great selection of staff from anywhere on the globe that you can think off but haven't found anyone from Bucks yet although there is a lovely girl in the Spa team from Woburn.

Wendy has just returned from the gym and tells me that everything is working.

I had a sauna and that is nearly as hot as the temperature on deck today.

There are some great deals on Seabourn cruises at the moment and I urge those that are teetering on the edge to book one soon and dive in.

• Like 1

Tell Wendy to brief Sharon on the morning coffee run…..

The worrying thing is I can just imagine being on board with you guys. Nip back to the cabin for a quick snooze on the balcony before preparing yourself in readiness for amusing your adoring fans with tales from your seafaring archive.

I’ve had to pop the A/C up a notch on the boat today…..

H.

Sharon and Wendy together on a coffee run would ensure that four cups could be carried in one journey.

Now that's what I call team work.

We did indeed have a nap and Wendy is beautifying herself as we speak to a goddess like standard.

We have a BGT winner on board who is going to warble for us at Ephesus tomorrow evening but our real competition is next week when Sarah Brightman gets on for her birthday and sings at us in the Grand Salon one evening.

Top that on your boat Able Seaman Aitch 😄

I know to choose my battles and on this occasion I bow to your superior guests.

If I get a major celeb on board before the weekend I’ll let you know.

I really liked Ephesus. Had a private quire during the day and obviously returned at night with the ship.:

Tough one. We haven’t been back yet since the start of the pandemic, but December is approaching fast, and we’re very much looking forward to sailing Seabourn again. We do not expect everything to be the same as pre-Covid, however, we are getting tired of companies charging top dollar for a 5* product while delivering a 3* service “due Covid”. It’s just not an excuse. Friends convinced us to join them on Celebrity Apex in Suite Class recently, and the service, the food, the whole experience was simply outstanding… so it can be done… even in today’s world. 

Floris 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Tough one. We haven’t been back yet since the start of the pandemic, but December is approaching fast, and we’re very much looking forward to sailing Seabourn again. We do not expect everything to be the same as pre-Covid, however, we are getting tired of companies charging top dollar for a 5* product while delivering a 3* service “due Covid”. It’s just not an excuse. Friends convinced us to join them on Celebrity Apex in Suite Class recently, and the service, the food, the whole experience was simply outstanding… so it can be done… even in today’s world. 

Floris 

All going well here on the Encore.

Nothing to complain about.

Staff are willing,happy and efficient just like on Able Seaman's gin palace.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Able Seaman H said:

I know to choose my battles and on this occasion I bow to your superior guests.

If I get a major celeb on board before the weekend I’ll let you know.

I really liked Ephesus. Had a private quire during the day and obviously returned at night with the ship.:

Mr Clutterbuck doesn't count 😉

He does like to sell your boat as his own though doesn't he 😁

We’re very happy currently onboard the Quest, enjoying the food, crew, entertainment, speakers and port stops. Small hiccups don’t bother us as there is so much going so well. Is it exactly the same as pre pandemic? Of course not. Is it still amazing to be onboard? Absolutely.

• Like 4