Taking the bus to the beach?

TwinkleB13

We are sailing next week and Aruba is our first port.  We have never not taken a shore excursion and ventured off on our own, but we are considering using the bus to get to the beach this time.  We are in Aruba from 9am-10pm and the longest shore excursion to the beach is only 2.5 hours.  That seems like a lot of wasted time.  If we take the bus, we can come and go as we please.  And, it's MUCH cheaper than an excursion!  My anxiety is worried about going off on our own, so I'd like to hear from others who have done so.  Is the bus safe?  Does it run on time or close to it?  Have you gone off on your own and things went well?  Went badly?  Let me know, thank you!

We always take the bus to Boca Catalina or Arashi.  For either one, you need to take the Arashi bus. If you want to go to Boca Catalina (no services) you can ask the driver to let you know when to get off. Of course, if you are going to Arashi, it is the end of the line.  There is a kiosk at the bus station (or was the last time we were there) where they sell retour cards for $5.  The card will give you a round trip to the beach.  It only saves 40 cents but you don't end up with change in local coins.

I have the same question, although a slight difference.  We will be in Aruba in December (our first time there), and after lots of research, have decided to skip the shore excursions, and go to Eagle Beach DIY for several hours, then return to the ship to rest and shower, then back into Aruba for dinner.  Am choosing against all-inclusives based upon price and fact that we won't want to stay all day (or drink that much!). My question is: where on Eagle Beach can we rent a lounger chair, with nearby access to some food and drink?  What bus stop (or nearest hotel location) would that be?  Am hoping to eat early dinner at Mathews on the beach, on south Eagle beach.  Thoughts?  We will also be going to Bonaire for the first time, and are thinking that we would go to Klein Bonaire.  Thank you for any insight and advice!

• 1 month later...

Prodeheaver:  You can easily take the taxi boat over to Klein Bonaire.  You supposedly can drop off your "stuff", get back on the taxi and they take you down the beach to where you can start a drift snorkel back to your stuff.  Entry to snorkel from the beach can be tricky but it's doable.  Be aware that there are ABSOLUTELY NO services at KB.  And no shade. 

If you want to snorkel, a great way to do it is with Woodwind.  They take you over toward KB.  It's a great experience - we've done it several times and plan to do so next month when we go.  You'll see many rave reviews of Woodwind here on CC.