Formal night...Don't wanna go

mgkdk

I would seriously beg to differ with you on this point but since most every cruise line thread including horrors of horrors even Cunard has multiple threads with folks trying to defend why they want to dress like a bunch of mechanics - Just coming home from the garage WHO CARES ANYMORE.

It's your vaction and if you wish to destroy what is left of pleasant society, go right ahead and do it. Then when all the cruise lines begin to offer franchise food outlets because that is what the passengers enjoy dressing for, I am sure you will enjoy that because "just as long as I am crusing I don't care about anything else"

:eek: Wait – I’m on your side!! I have a friend who attends formal events in a fine tux with fine shoes and a nicely starched white shirt - open at the neck - and red pocket square. He looks fabulously formal even without a tie - and perfectly acceptable.

The Hawaiian outfits - totally unacceptable I might add - I mentioned were on the people turned away from the dining room on the formal night – the Head Waiter showed excellent judgment – too bad all I had was my cruise card in my pocket or I would have tipped him…as it was I did thank him.

"Princess Cruises are now replacing their speciality dining rooms with an IHOP. And all onboard merchandise sales will be managed by Walmart."
Sometimes a good joke foretells the truth. Please see the thread about roll-on coolers.
I fail to see how someone elses attire would make anyone think they were personally being disrepected.

Maybe somepeople should worry less about what someone else is wearing and think more about things that really do matter.

I find the way people dress an important indicator of things that really do matter. Going to the effort to show others that one respects guidelines and traditions and gives a hoot about the way they look or the way they act in social situations says a lot about a person's character - ignoring the same does not.

I think we all understand the dress code to apply on the main (lower) decks only. Lido and above are casual (or more technically "come as you are")

But that is not what rob.potter said. He specifically said the horizon court, pizzeria, etc, NO EXCEPTIONS. I'm just saying it is a dumb thing to say.

All of this constant discusion about dress codes brings to mind the BBC series of Upstairs/Downstairs. If one remembers there were always more members of the downstairs ranks then the upstairs folk and so it goes on all of the mass market cruise ships. There are those who are acustomed to dressing up and there are those who find it a bother because it means doing something they are not very used to. Nothing wrong with this situation just what one finds with the expanding market place the cruise lines have chosen to cultivate.

Sorry, but since the DH and I have attended numerous formal affairs both military as a naval officer and civilian occasions I hardly think it is because we “are not accustomed to formal dress” when we decide not to attend formal night. I am sure many who also choose not to attend formal night due so as a choice in their vacation not as a statement. The OP only asked where else they might dine. To decide a person’s worth or ability based on dress is a very sad commentary. When we decide not to attend formal night, we usually eat on our balcony or go to the buffet. We do go to the dining room since I agree the dining room should be a festive dining experience with the all the ambiance of formal attire dining. However, sometimes vacations are just that – enjoying something that you do not have to do.

I personally find a nice tux with an open shirt quite attractive - lack of tie doesn't mean not formally dressed. [/font]

I have never found formal wear comfortable though I do wear it when appropriate...It's that darn tie...That's one of the reasons I am a advocate of a more casual dress code on cruise ships...However now that a open shirt is considered formal I'll leave the tie home on my next cruise...This is the best news I have read about formal night and from a unexpected source...Thank you!

I understand exactly what you're saying, but realize too that all the "early diners" stand in the elevator to go to the captain's cocktail party with people in swimsuits dripping wet from the pools, pass by folks in shorts and tshirts, etc. It is a rare cruise ship passenger who dresses in formal wear at 5:00pm when they don't dine until 8:30pm; it is also rare to find a person who is dressed formally at 5:00pm and stays that way until 1 or 2 in the morning.

that's why I disagree with this area of the public areas are formal. We don't usually get dressed at 5 or 6 in our dress and suit when we're going to eat at 8. So I wouldn't expect those who had early dinner to feel the need to stay in their formal wear all evening.

that's why I disagree with this area of the public areas are formal. We don't usually get dressed at 5 or 6 in our dress and suit when we're going to eat at 8. So I wouldn't expect those who had early dinner to feel the need to stay in their formal wear all evening.

Can you believe that you and I actually agree on something?

I was on the Sun Princess recently. We didn't take any formal clothes this time because we couldn't get the assigned time dining room, only the anytime dining, and we were going on NCL after we got off this cruise. We have been on over 30 cruises so have been there, done that with the tux and formals. We planned to dine at the buffet on formal nights. Well the first night we ate with 6 other very nice people who decided we should all book that table for the rest of the cruise, which we did. When it came to the formal nights, they begged us to come to the dining room and eat with them, even offered to lend my husband a coat. He had no tie. They even asked the Maitre 'd what my husband would be required to wear and were told a coat and tie. We went upstairs to eat on both formal nights which was fine with us except that we did not get the lobster up there. We did go to the captain's reception, but didn't shake his hand. Since it is in the atrium, you don't have to go through a receiving line like most other captain's parties we have attended that were held in a lounge. Nobody seemed to care and as mentioned by someone earlier, there were people roaming around not dressed up yet because they were on late seating, we were on early. We stayed in the background, didn't bother anyone, or at least they didn't glare at us.

I agree that the dress codes are to be adhered to in the dining rooms however, the buffet at least - not sure about specialty restaurants as we never went to them. Couldn't see paying a cover charge just to get into one of these restaurants. However, on the other hand, people were coming in to the dining room in jeans and were not turned away; no fights ensued....I think it is all a matter of personal choice and to a point respect. I would not think of going to the dining room in jeans or casual attire on a formal night. We LOVED getting dressed up for formal night but for those that would rather not - that is fine too in my opinion. They would just not attend the dining room - buffet is fair game for them in my eyes! Enjoy your cruise no matter where you decide to spend your evening meals!

... To decide a person’s worth or ability based on dress is a very sad commentary.

It may be sad but it's the way it is. Just about every sociologic study shows that we judge people based on overall appearance in the first 2 seconds of seeing them.

And I'm quite sure if you were doing job interviews and an applicant came in wearing a sackcloth it would change your opinion of that person. You would think "doesn't he know you're supposed to dress up for a job interview? What's he saying, that he doesn't care, or that he doesn't really want the job, or is he just that ignorant?"

The same thought process occurs for many of us when we see people grossly underdressed for formal night.

I wonder how much of this debate is because people love to try to force their opinions on others. Personally, I don't mind dressing up for formal night, however, my DH wears a suit 5 days a week, his philosophy is that he is on vacation ( and in the Caribbean) so that he DOES NOT have to wear a suit. We will go to buffet on formal nights as a matter of respect, but for some people to think that because they wish to dress a certain way, then they have some "right" to force others to dress their way is just ridiculous.

You would never expect everyone to do or enjoy the same shore excursion, why should everyone be forced to dress the same? I am going on vacation to enjoy myself, not to be dictated to by someone who thinks their rights or desires are more important than mine.

Besides, not having to pack all that formal wear leaves me that much more room in my suitcase for my daisy dukes, flip flops, gardening duds, and dirty mechanic uniforms that I am tempted to pack just because I can!

bdjam, I love the way you think. You give me hope, but I'm concerned we are a dying breed. I teach reading in an elementary school, and see the results of parents empowering very young children to think independently on all levels to the exclusion of what those around them think. Young kids are not thinking rationally enough to apply those independent and self-centered behaviors. Regarding formal dress, it all boils down to making choices and not imposing on others while doing so. I truly don't understand why the OP felt the need to make the announcement that he did. If you don't like formal night, don't go. Simple. Statements like his should be ignored.

bdjam, I love the way you think. You give me hope, but I'm concerned we are a dying breed. I teach reading in an elementary school, and see the results of parents empowering very young children to think independently on all levels to the exclusion of what those around them think. Young kids are not thinking rationally enough to apply those independent and self-centered behaviors. Regarding formal dress, it all boils down to making choices and not imposing on others while doing so. I truly don't understand why the OP felt the need to make the announcement that he did. If you don't like formal night, don't go. Simple. Statements like his should be ignored.

Thank you!

Those same young children grow up and post self-centered statements on the boards. It never fails to amuse me that they have already made up their minds to break the rules but they post here to get permission to do so.

You are mistaken - the OP is not going casual on formal night in the dining room. They were asking what the choices were BESIDES the dining room.

I am in the dark as to why teaching young kids to think independently has anything to do with what to wear in a certain situation on a cruise ship.

This thread has changed from a simple question of "WHERE can I go casual" to another debate on the character of people who don't dress formally on formal nights. Luckily, social snobs and holier-than-thou types are in the minority and I doubt anyone would run into one on their cruise. I would run in the other direction if I did.

You are mistaken - the OP is not going casual on formal night in the dining room. They were asking what the choices were BESIDES the dining room.

I am in the dark as to why teaching young kids to think independently has anything to do with what to wear in a certain situation on a cruise ship.

This thread has changed from a simple question of "WHERE can I go casual" to another debate on the character of people who don't dress formally on formal nights. Luckily, social snobs and holier-than-thou types are in the minority and I doubt anyone would run into one on their cruise. I would run in the other direction if I did.

I hope you're sitting down.....I have to agree with you that this thread has gone off topic! :) . having said that, the Pattter does state that the dress for "the evening" is ........ Now that does lead to the dilemma of how do those dress when not doing formal in the dining room. It is my understanding that the specialty places require the same dress.

Now the comments on teaching young children address the thoughts that they are not being taught to think independently, but instead are taught that everything revolves around "Me" as in "I'll dress anyway I please because it's my vacation." Now we won't get into that again as we both know what side of the fence we are on, but let's not call names please.

I hope you're sitting down.....I have to agree with you that this thread has gone off topic! :) . having said that, the Pattter does state that the dress for "the evening" is ........ Now that does lead to the dilemma of how do those dress when not doing formal in the dining room. It is my understanding that the specialty places require the same dress.

Now the comments on teaching young children address the thoughts that they are not being taught to think independently, but instead are taught that everything revolves around "Me" as in "I'll dress anyway I please because it's my vacation." Now we won't get into that again as we both know what side of the fence we are on, but let's not call names please.

I can see how you would want to make sure I'm sitting down. :)

It's common knowledge that you can dress casually for the buffet and the Lido deck area. The OPs question was asked and answered and all was well. Then this simple thread turned into a platform for comments about formal night in the dining room and elsewhere on the ship, including opinions about people's character. That is where things got off track and unnecessary. There are plenty of other past threads on that topic and I'm sure there will be more to come, but it wasn't what was asked here.

I've read many posts from longtime cruisers and respected members that don't participate in formal night. I don't think it's a requirement that you attend dinner in the dining room, hence the other choices. My opinion is if you pay your fare and want to have dinner in the buffet, the grill or even room service, that is your choice. It has nothing to do with a "Me, Me, Me" mentality, but rather one's right to partake of choices.

Assuming that children are being taught in today's environment to be independent, are going to grow up to be shabby dressers on cruise ships, is stretching things a little bit. My son is more politically savvy and socially aware/responsible than I was at his age so I'm happy with the way he is being schooled.

At any rate, there are more important things in life to argue about. I dress formal on formal night, but respect others' wish to have a casual experience. If I were twenty years younger, I might want to have pizza and beer for dinner one night in my swimsuit by the pool (wait, I'm doing that in May at a resort vacation).:)

Happy sailing to all,

On my last Princess cruise to Alaska, I wore long gowns on both formal nights. The majoritiy of ladies also did, with some in cocktail dress and a few others dressed more casually.

On my upcoming 7 day cruise on the Star, was wondering if I'd be in the minority wearing a long gown since I've read the Caribbean tends to have a more casual atmosphere. Not that that would preclude me from wearing them, but was debating whether I want to take cocktail dresses instead. What's been your experience on similar cruises? Thanks!

I personally enjoyed dressing up because it's not something I do on a reguar basis. I also liked the ambiance on formal nights created because of others participation, but I didn't spend my time worrying about anyone else, anywhere on the ship who chose not to dress up for whatever reason. I guess that's because those nights were all about ME! :D :D

I can see how you would want to make sure I'm sitting down. :)

I've read many posts from longtime cruisers and respected members that don't participate in formal night. I don't think it's a requirement that you attend dinner in the dining room, hence the other choices. My opinion is if you pay your fare and want to have dinner in the buffet, the grill or even room service, that is your choice. It has nothing to do with a "Me, Me, Me" mentality, but rather one's right to partake of choices.

I again have to agree with the above statement (shock and more shock :) )

What causes the problem for me and many others is those cruisers who choose to dress casually on formal night and then wish to dine in the dining rooms. It's that simple.

Okay - First off let me say that I have been on several cruises and will usually take a cocktail type dress for formal night. However, if someone comes in wearing a nice sundress, etc. it will not ruin my cruise. So, if on formal night, I choose to wear a nice dress instead of "sequins and pearls" I am completely in the dark as to why that is disrespectful to anyone and why the heck anyone cares what I'm wearing. Some people need to just get over it and worry about themselves rather than spending their time being upset because someone didn't wear what, is in their opinion, a formal dress. Yes, you are on vacation, but so are they. And just because I don't want to wear a formal dress on formal night does not mean that I have to stay in my cabin so I don't offend you. GET OVER IT.

Some people need to just get over it and worry about themselves rather than spending their time being upset because someone didn't wear what, is in their opinion, a formal dress. Yes, you are on vacation, but so are they. And just because I don't want to wear a formal dress on formal night does not mean that I have to stay in my cabin so I don't offend you. GET OVER IT.

Telling people to "get over it" solves nothing. Nobody is "upset" over what people are wearing and no one has to stay in their cabin. We are here to voice opinions and all are welcome to do so but with a far less harsher tone.

First-as before, this thread is fast getting out of hand. If there are X number of people reading this thread, then x number of people have differing opinions.

Second-I do not believe that the op had this in mind when he asked a perfectly legitimate question regarding where to dine because he did not want to get "formal."

Third-I will add my 2 cents and say that I do not care what anyone wears. It will have absolutely zero effect on my cruise because on the scale of things, it ranks at the bottom, along with chair hogs and unruly children. It simply doesn't matter to me.

As my mother, God rest her soul, once said to me,"Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff." I truly believe this is so, especially on a vacation that I spend my hard earned money to buy. I am going on my Star Princess cruise on 4/16 and if you are going and you are wearing less than formal clothes at my late dinner seating, and even if you are at my table, then be my guest. I will not judge you by what you are wearing, only by what's in your heart and what your character is. I've met plenty of people who refuse to get dressed up and many of them are now my friends. While I respect everyone's opinion regarding this thread (and I've read each and every one) I myself will wear a suit and tie on formal night because I believe it adds to the whole "cruise magic (or mystique, or whatever you want to call it--remember your high school prom?). To me, anything that enhances the quality of my vacation is a positive experience. When I come home, my memories of the cruise, usually in the form of pictures, things I've done, places I've visited and new friends I've found, will remain positive.

Since everyone really seems to have a bigger issue with those who change after dinner instead of what they're actually wearing to dinner I went to the official Princess website and searched their FAQ section in regard to dress code.

Here's the copy and paste:

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times. Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

For whatever reason Princess did put in the statement "as they would for a fine restaurant at home". Passengers are using these guidelines as proper attire in the dining rooms.

I then checked and double checked the website and for the life of me I can't find the part where it states that everyone should stay dressed in that attire until bedtime

When my wife puts on one of her black formal gowns the vision shoots one of those love arrows through my heart...and the first thing I always utter is "WOW". We are some of those folks who remain in our formal clothes through the show and an aftershow drink at a bar because I just can't get enough of seeing her looking that way. I'm as comfortable in my tux as I am in my jeans and she likes the tux better...therefore, what my sweetie likes, I gladly wear. Because of her, I've never realized that there were other people in the dining room.

I then checked and double checked the website and for the life of me I can't find the part where it states that everyone should stay dressed in that attire until bedtime

Herb... It isn't in the website.. It is stated in the daily Princess Patter and in your Cruise Answer Book..

In the upper right hand of the Platter it will either say "Tonight's Dress: Smart Casual" or "Tonight's Dress: Formal". It does not say "Dining Room Dress" is.

In the Cruise Answer Book it states "Smart Casual Evenings" and "Formal Evenings" under "Onboard Attire". It does not say Dining Room attire.

On can say that both mean the dress code is for the whole evening not just for dinner.

Herb... It isn't in the website.. It is stated in the daily Princess Patter and in your Cruise Answer Book..

In the upper right hand of the Platter it will either say "Tonight's Dress: Smart Casual" or "Tonight's Dress: Formal". It does not say "Dining Room Dress" is.

In the Cruise Answer Book it states "Smart Casual Evenings" and "Formal Evenings" under "Onboard Attire". It does not say Dining Room attire.

On can say that both mean the dress code is for the whole evening not just for dinner.

So then why would they say that the Horizon Court is always casual. Do you really think you are expected to dress formally in the horizon court? What is so hard to understand, it is the CASUAL alternative...always...the whole cruise...every night...every day...every hour....regardless of the suggested attire for the evening.

You can't honesly believe that formal dress is required in the Horizon court during formal nights, do you?

The whole point of the Horizon court is for those who do not want to dress formally. Why is this so hard for everyone to understand.

Archived