Diamond Princess

Murray's Pop

Just wondering , since the Diamond Princess is just hanging around for the next few months due to crew shortage, if there are any plans for a dry dock or other updates.  I believe that the last drydock was in 2019.  I also believe that there was a scheduled drydock in January of this year but it did not happen.

It would seem a good use of down time to do something productive rather than just sitting at a dock in Los Angeles.

Check YouTube videos and then Diamond Princess 2022 Dry Dock and you will find several videos by Master Marino.  She underwent a dry dock in Jan 2022 in Marseille, France.  From the videos, she is looking good.  I sure hope so as I am on the first sailing out of San Diego for a short 5 day coastal to San Francisco and Ensenada.  I will let you know.  That said, I am not looking for a perfect experience as I know she will have new crew and I figure this will be a shakedown cruise with passengers.

Well, I just got a message from a friend of mine saying that she saw a news story that says that the Diamond Princess is cancelling all sailings between 9/1 and 11/20 due to lack of crew members.  Darn.  No word from Princess so guess I better start checking.

Edited by DavidsNana
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

@jwattleSee my edited post with new info.

This was announced yesterday; apologies, as I didn't know that you were on one of those, I thought you were on a November one. I believe that the issues are staff shortages.

18 minutes ago, jwattle said:

This was announced yesterday; apologies, as I didn't know that you were on one of those, I thought you were on a November one. I believe that the issues are staff shortages.

No apologies necessary. Yes, I just went on the roll call for Sept. 1st and saw that most of them were notified yesterday via email from Princess with options.  I still have heard nothing.  I booked this cruise through my PVP and so just placed a call to him and left a message.  Someone on the roll call posted their email with 3 options.  I am very disappointed as this was not only a birthday cruise for myself but the first time traveling solo since my husband passed away 3 years ago.  I live in San Diego so at least I do not have to deal with flight cancellations or changes.  Oh well, only way to look at it is that it was not meant to be.  I have a booking for myself, my grandson and his wife on the April 1 sailing of the Caribbean Princess so I will just take the FCC plus $100 OBC and apply them to that sailing when final payment time rolls around.

• Thanks 1

Diamond Princess originally had an International Cafe on deck 5 just like the other ships. It was removed when the ship was refurbished for the Japanese market in 2014. So it is very unlikely that they will add the IC again.