seeking positive feedback about cruising or is it really that bad?

World Gallery

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The problem with driving from town to town can be what to do with the car when you hit a large town - Italian cities are tough to drive in (and park) at best, and French only a little easier.  Of course, if you focus on very small towns - like visiting the hill towns of Tuscany - a car is the way to do it. But coming into Rome, Milan, Florence, Naples, etc. driving your own car is kind of like swimming with an anvil.

I agree.   And that is everywhere.    As road travelers in the US we often stay in a suburban location and use the train or other mode of transportation to go into town for a day of sightseeing.   

• Like 1

There are pros and cons to every travel approach. If you land travel, you can definitely see more, and create your own pace. I definitely want to do this in Italy one day. I'd probably be happy just visiting restaurants and nature for a week. However, that is also lots of time and money spent traveling on often limited vacation time. Especially if going city to city.

A nice advantage of cruising is your transportation to the next city happens while you sleep. That unadulterated 8 - 10 hours at a port are a bit underrated IMO. Not every person is able to spend weeks at cities across the world. Also, let's be real, most people see the majority of everything they want to see in that day. Cruising gives you a taste of many different cities. Some people find they didn't care for a city they thought they'd like, and vice-versa.

• Like 3