Puerto Plata on my own?

nbsjcruiser

Been to Amber Cove a few times and we're thinking about going on the Caribbean Princess in 2023 to there but instead of hanging around the pool area for the day we're considering a cab to Puerto Plata and spending the day there on our own.

Anyone know what a cab ride would be for 4 down town from Amber Cove and how would a day in Puerto Plata sound like walking around on our own? Safe? Lots to see?

We went out to the front and got a taxi tour for the two of us.  It was great. We went to the tram to the top of the mountain, the town square, chocolate factory, the fort and more.  The person negotiating the price of the tour spoke very good english but the driver not so much.  I don't remember the price, but if I did it again I would make sure the driver spoke english before getting in the taxi.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2022 at 3:51 PM, nybumpkin said:

Hi nbsjcruiser - We didn't hire a taxi, but instead booked an independent tour. I think Puerto Plata is a safe place to visit. Here's a link to my review with pictures (Amber Cove starts at page 2): 

Hi there - I read your trip report and enjoyed it - thank you!  I looked up "Amber Cove Adventures" which you mentioned was your independant tour provider.  I googled it and couldn't find it - do you happen to know the website or contact info for them?  Thanks so much - we are travelling in a group of 13 - one is a person in a wheelchair and one is a toddler so I'm thinking this may be most ideal situation for us to be able to see more than just the pool!

Thanks in advance!

On 9/30/2022 at 3:36 PM, Adi12982 said:

Hi there - I read your trip report and enjoyed it - thank you!  I looked up "Amber Cove Adventures" which you mentioned was your independant tour provider.  I googled it and couldn't find it - do you happen to know the website or contact info for them?  Thanks so much - we are travelling in a group of 13 - one is a person in a wheelchair and one is a toddler so I'm thinking this may be most ideal situation for us to be able to see more than just the pool!

Thanks in advance!

I wonder whether they went out of business during the pandemic. I do know that when we visited Amber Cove in August, there were a number of independent tours outside the port area. A word of caution for traveling with someone in a wheelchair or a toddler - it's a long walk from the dock to where the independent tours meet outside the port area. Taxis are permitted into the port area, though.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:36 PM, Adi12982 said:

Thanks in advance!

Check out RV Tours.  We are booked with this tour company for our visit in DR next month.  They were able to personalize our tour with what we wanted to do.  Very good communications and a very good price.

https://www.rvtours.info/

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 9:06 AM, nbsjcruiser said:

Anyone know what a cab ride would be for 4 down town from Amber Cove and how would a day in Puerto Plata sound like walking around on our own?

I'm also interested in what cab fairs are from Amber Cove.  I don't see an answer yet.

1. How much is the fare from outside the gate at Amber Cove to downtown (Parque Central area)?

2. How much from Amber Cove to the cable care?  (One post I saw said $65, which seems high. I could book an excursion for less than that.)

3. I understand there Uber is available.  Anyone have experience with that?

4. What's the cost comparison of hiring a taxi to go from place to place (i.e. Amber Code -> cable car, cable care -> Parque Central, Parque Central -> Amber Cove) versus hiring a taxi for the day?

I feel like the boards aren't as robust as they were before the shutdowns, but hopefully we're now able to build them back up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 6:18 PM, hrmkr said:

Check out RV Tours.  We are booked with this tour company for our visit in DR next month.  They were able to personalize our tour with what we wanted to do.  Very good communications and a very good price.

https://www.rvtours.info/

I am interested in contacting this company, however the "contact" on the link you posted is not working. Do you have an email address for them.

Would also appreciate to hear from you how the tour went. We will be in DR in January

Thank you

Lorraine

(email: eventschair@aoldotcom)

• 4 weeks later...