Bits and pieces of My Wonderful Liberty Review

cathyoo

I wanted to finish my Wonderful Liberty Cruise review with a few last observations. Please don’t take this as a negative review. Just see the title of this post. I did want to mention something that might be considered critical. This was only my third cruise so I am still a novice. I loved the Liberty but I am glad it was a big boat with lots of places to enjoy. On a smaller ship the amount of rowdy drunks may have really bothered me.

We weren’t fond of the Piano Man but even less fond of the loud drunks. On the Lido deck at times I wanted to remind some of folks they actually didn’t have to “get” a room they already had one and they just needed to use it. The only time we went to Karaoke the inebriated already owned the club. Most nights it sounded as if some of the passengers on my deck were playing “holler down the corridor” I had decorations on my door and I decorated my SILs door for her birthday. The decorations were constantly ripped off our doors and appeared on the doors of other cabins. Now I figured “kids” and it did not bother me at all. Then my BIL saw some drunk middle aged men sticking our decorations on the door to the laundry room. Go figure.

I hope no one thinks I am a prude. Somethings make me uncomfortable around kids. Janet Jackson in concert was a little much and I did not think it appropriate for an afternoon crowd that included a lot of kiddies. There has to be someone else that would appeal to multi generations that did not feel the need strap a guy down and sit on his face.

My husband had a bizarre encounter. A young girl around 12/13 came up to him and my BIL and asked for $1. My BIL told her to get lost. But DH says “honey what could you possibly need money for on this ship? She answered “pads”. So my naïve and embarrassed man gives her the $1. To top it off this little chickadee came back an hour later and tried the same trick. My BIL told her to not even it try it since she already got them. The girl had the audacity to argue that she had not.

I absolutely loved the tea. It was my first time. Very nice and I got to spend some time there with a fellow CC “QueenGlitterBunny”. A great memory. Oh and I just remembered the “Bitter Melting Chocolate” cake is too die for. It was my first past guest party and while I was not fond of the food the drinks were plentiful and it was a very nice experience. I look forward to many more.

One last tidbit: We did not take a balcony guarantee because we want a cabin next to my SIL and her DH. We were looking forward to opening the doors between the balconies. Unfortunately the divider had to cover one of our doors. It would have been fine if one of us was in the cabin on the other side. The divider on those cabins only covered the window. Well live and learn. You have to secure the divider because the wind just bangs it back and forth. So if we had secured the divider open one couple would not have had access to the balcony. Another live and learn.

Just some minor points but since we are looking to book an eight day on the Liberty for 07 you can tell I really loved my wonderful vacation.

It really is ashame how some people act onboard the ship. We were on the 2/12 sailing of Liberty and my poor parents couldn't sleep the entire week. We were on Deck 7 and our floor wasn't nearly as loud as theirs was. They had a balcony cabin on Deck 8; their first balcony cabin (and they are in their late 70's) and they were so looking forward to it. While they loved the cabin, they didn't love the shouting and hollering that was going on (it really kicked into gear around 4 am every day) at all hours of the night. And this was adults, not kids. I told my Mom she should call the Purser's Desk and complain, but they felt weird doing that, and she said she kept thinking it would stop. It seems Carnival is beginning to attract a lot of the riff raff they have been trying to rid themselves of for the past several years.

It really is ashame how some people act onboard the ship. We were on the 2/12 sailing of Liberty and my poor parents couldn't sleep the entire week. We were on Deck 7 and our floor wasn't nearly as loud as theirs was. They had a balcony cabin on Deck 8; their first balcony cabin (and they are in their late 70's) and they were so looking forward to it. While they loved the cabin, they didn't love the shouting and hollering that was going on (it really kicked into gear around 4 am every day) at all hours of the night. And this was adults, not kids. I told my Mom she should call the Purser's Desk and complain, but they felt weird doing that, and she said she kept thinking it would stop. It seems Carnival is beginning to attract a lot of the riff raff they have been trying to rid themselves of for the past several years.

I think this is simply indicative of society in general. Too many people do no tknow how to behave in public, or if they know they sure don't practice what they know.

It happens lots of places though not just on Carnival.

It's unbelievable how different experiences can be. We were on the Miracle the week of 2/19 with 600 kids, and I can honestly say there was not one misbehaving kid we saw the whole week - any age - you barely noticed they were around. Also didn't see one drunk - I even commented on how we had a very mellow crowd - almost too mellow as far as their reactions at the shows were and with the waiters and waitresses at dinner when they did their dancing!!! A lot of seniors on board as well. So I guess you never know what you're in for . . . :confused:

It's unbelievable how different experiences can be. We were on the Miracle the week of 2/19 with 600 kids, and I can honestly say there was not one misbehaving kid we saw the whole week - any age - you barely noticed they were around.

I hope I didn't give the impression that kids were a problem. They definitely were not. I thought the children behaved much more appropriately than many of those "had a few drinks" cruisers. In fact, part of my displeasure with the drunks was the fact that much of the behavior was inappropriate around children. Saw lots of adorable babies and toddlers, the Camp Carnival march was a joy. The children on the Liberty definitely ADDED to my wonderful experience.

I wanted to remind some of folks they actually didn’t have to “get” a room they already had one and they just needed to use it.

did not feel the need strap a guy down and sit on his face.

“honey what could you possibly need money for on this ship? She answered “pads”.

OMG....that's all I can say. Nice bunch....

I hope I didn't give the impression that kids were a problem. They definitely were not. I thought the children behaved much more appropriately than many of those "had a few drinks" cruisers.

And the thing with that....is it's more 'excusable' when kids are being 'naughty'...since they probably don't know or have been taught better. Whereas adults should know better what is appropriate behavior in public.

Wow Cathy,

Sorry that you encountered all of that. I would have to agree though, the adults were the ones that were the problem, and the kids were fine for the most part. Of my 3 Carnival cruises, this one had the worst crowd on board. I was appauled by some of the behavior and rudeness of some people.

Luckilly we had a quiet cabin, and I never had any problem sleeping through the night. We were on deck 7 aft, in an inside cabin, and never heard anything going on in the wee hours. Honestly, I like the inside cabins because it's dark, and it's so easy to stay asleep if you want to sleep in.

By the way, I heard some of the people singing Karaoke.......they reminded me of American Idol rejects.

Hay cathloo we to are looking at cruiseing the Liberty in 07. I'm looking at the 8day April cruise to PR and eastern area. I think it is the last cruise before the ship departs for te season in Europe. Sounds like a great ship and I know we will have a graet cruise. Thanks for the review.

Wow Cathy,

Sorry that you encountered all of that. I would have to agree though, the adults were the ones that were the problem, and the kids were fine for the most part. .

I really hope I didn't give anyone the wrong impression. I had a WoNdErFuL time. As close to perfection as possible. But I was trying to be unbiased and to see things through other eyes. The way I look at it if everyone was all prim and proper than what would my SIL and I have to gossip about.

Hay cathloo we to are looking at cruiseing the Liberty in 07. I'm looking at the 8day April cruise to PR and eastern area. I think it is the last cruise before the ship departs for te season in Europe. Sounds like a great ship and I know we will have a graet cruise. Thanks for the review.

If your cruise is half as wonderful as mine you will have many happy memories.

I'm going to look into the same cruise. Trying to decide between that 8 day Liberty or the 6 day Legend to Bermuda. The 6 day Legend has the added bonus that we don't need to fly.

We also had deck 7 all the way aft-- didnt hear nothing--and barely saw people in the halls all week.

I do agree with with the drunks---wow. especially the first night.

We had someone in a scooter and we park it so our friend can sit at the table- One of these guys thought it would be fun to try to take the scooter for a spin...while the other two friends were trying to pick it up-- what a mess. that whole night dinner was spent trying to talk with table mates over that table. Thank god it was only the first night.

Cathy-- is there a reason you are not telling people you came in second place in the slot tournement-- she was soooo close for so long she probably spent all that money in her mind over and over and over.

Question -

We are going on our the Liberty in 10 days . . . do you think the 6 day itinerary attracts a wilder, louder crowd than the 8 day itinerary might? Just curious if the longer cruises keep some riff-raff away.

It amazes me that people act the way described in Cathy's review. And I am shocked by the scene that Serene described. It's so helpful to read these threads so I won't be surprised if this type of behavior occurs on our cruise. I hope not, but I won't be surprised!

or worry, I think that it is a total random luck of the draw. Our December six day Western was quiet and peaceful. I never saw or heard one loud obnoxious person - except when I was singing in the bathroom.

The bars had some entertaining drunks, and the karaoke and piano room were being run by some drunks, but we just moved on to things we found fun - we never had a problem finding a fun place to hang!

The bars had some entertaining drunks, and the karaoke and piano room were being run by some drunks, but we just moved on to things we found fun - we never had a problem finding a fun place to hang!

I totally agree. the ship was big enough for me and the drunks..

I do agree with with the drunks---wow. especially the first night.

We had someone in a scooter and we park it so our friend can sit at the table- One of these guys thought it would be fun to try to take the scooter for a spin...while the other two friends were trying to pick it up-- what a mess. that whole night dinner was spent trying to talk with table mates over that table. Thank god it was only the first night.

What a mess. Amazing how inconsiderate some folks are.

Cathy-- is there a reason you are not telling people you came in second place in the slot tournement-- she was soooo close for so long she probably spent all that money in her mind over and over and over.

That was sweet. I never expected that score to hold up so second place was a treat. They credited my entry fee back to my S&S and the bag of goodies was nice. In fact this makes me 3 for 3 for winning something on every cruise. First cruise $99 Bingo, second cruise $600 Bingo and this cruise well I guess 2nd place in the slot tournament does pale a bit.

Cheryl, did I tell you I won a ship on a stick. Sitting right here in my office on my bookcase next to my Inspiration ship on a stick. Got to do those early morning trivias. Hardly anyone to compete against.

seriously, im about to take my first Carnival cruise because the price was so great for a single and i got one of the L shaped outside cabins, BUT....after hearing some of these horror stories, well, i just dont know.

Suffice it to say though that i wont be shy about calling security if someone starts a knock down-drag out at 4 am next door!:eek:

over 40 cruises and i've seen a drunk or two on a ship, but never bars full of them and people attempting to hijack a handicapped scooter! Please, someone calm me down, trying Glory 12/9/06 and 6 day Liberty 4/22/07, HELP!:confused:

seriously, im about to take my first Carnival cruise because the price was so great for a single and i got one of the L shaped outside cabins, BUT....after hearing some of these horror stories, well, i just dont know.:

It is a big ship and I was just commenting..not even complaining. Please don't worry, you are going to have a wonderful time.

Cheryl, did I tell you I won a ship on a stick. Sitting right here in my office on my bookcase next to my Inspiration ship on a stick. Got to do those early morning trivias. Hardly anyone to compete against.

Nooooo-- what trivia did we miss?? I thought we hit everyone of them.

But I did miss the choc buffet so maybe I was out of sorts or something

Alberttiger-- what cabin did you get?? sailing solo?

remember that you read reviews with a grain of salt-- before we left the reviews were horrible. bad food, grumpy staff, long lines everywhere.

We never encountered any of it and before we left we were sweatin up a stomr wondering if we picked the wrong cruise.

i got 2462 on both cruises/ships and yes, going solo. yeah, i know not to put too much stock in these stories but it just perpetuates the myths and i wont rest easy till i have first hand experience. Besides, the pricing is TOO good to pass up!:D

Nooooo-- what trivia did we miss?? I thought we hit everyone of them.

It was I think "Entertainment trivia at 9:00 or 9:30 am. I know we went right from breakfast and there were probably only 10 people there.

What categories of trivia do they have on board? Where are they all?

All differnt trivias..and held differnt places . the movie one was lame- theyplayed a clip from a movie.. (very long and drawn out- then you name the movie name the song in the movie...and name one or two charactacters in the movie..mostly musicals)

Most were held in the Cabinet--which is a cigar bar. not many people go either.

Cathy-- how many showed up for the one you won?

Others were held in the main show lounge.

Archived