Price drop within a few days of final payment

Caz L.

10 hours ago, fweegy said:

Boy, are you wrong. Our May cruise dropped in price and when I called about it, not only had I made final payment, it was also after final payment due date. RC gave me the reduced price and they put it on my OBC to the tune of $2217.00. Simple.

You were covered under Cruise with Confidence.  The OP is not so the poster you quoted was 100% correct. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, George C said:

We had a grand suite on oasis, price kept going down, I kept calling and getting new price , then the owners suite was cheaper than my original grand suite and we got the owners suite.

Wow, that's lovely! Yes, the hope is that I'd qualify for something nicer later. We will definitely continue watching to see if anything better becomes equivalent to what we paid. 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hal2008 said:

It seems moral of the story is that if you are not hung up on particular sailing then it is best to wait until it is 2-3 weeks remaining (but monitor inventory)

If you live near a homeport and have flexibility then for a sailing with huge inventory, you can even get cruise fare that is less than port taxes!! 

Inventory status is the key

Definitely never booking this far out in advance again (unless the port is very far away)! Yes, learning about inventory was helpful. Another user above had mentioned this so I looked it up! Thanks for the suggestion as well!

This happens all the time with many purchases of anything.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that if it was worth shelling out the money for the original price, then I feel good about it. If the price lowers for future purchasers, I feel happy for them.

5 hours ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

There have been some policy changes regarding price drops. I always book what I am comfortable spending and leave it at that. I have never seen a price drop on any sailing I have done. It always seems to be a price increase. LOL!

Same here.  I always book super early.  90% of the time the price goes up, not down.  Once in a while I get a price break and I call and get it adjusted.  I have 19 cruises booked right now and all of them are either more than I originally paid or the same price.  I find I get price breaks earlier than when it gets closer to final payment dates.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 7:09 PM, Caz L. said:

I'm a little miffed about something that happened to us just now. We booked a cruise with RCI literally days ago and was asked for full payment the very next day. We had been keeping a close eye on the pricing of this particular itinerary and it seemed like it had been fluctuating a bit, and so when it came down to a price that we thought would stay, we bought. And within days, it dropped another whopping $600! So, we phoned them up to see if they'd do anything but wow, the reluctance to extend any sort of courtesy was quite astounding. We usually don't run into any issue with RCI but this was the first time I've felt legitimately stood up or, dare I, cheated by them! It all happened literally within a few days and they wouldn't do anything about it. Policies be damned! I will take ANY adjustment at this point. I wouldn't argue over $200, but $600?!

Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any advice or tips on how to get over this hurdle?

This happened with us. We booked Oasis on Sunday, final payment was due Monday and on Wednesday when I logged into our account I checked prices and it dropped $600+. There is nothing they will do.

1 minute ago, crazyfamilyof5 said:

This happened with us. We booked Oasis on Sunday, final payment was due Monday and on Wednesday when I logged into our account I checked prices and it dropped $600+. There is nothing they will do.

Argh - I feel you 😞

It'll still be an amazing trip, and I really hope your family have a beautiful time on the Oasis! 🙂 

It kinda stinks, and I empathize with you, but it is the deal you signed up for.  Anyone else who made final payment is in the same boat (figuratively and literally).

My best advice at this point is to be positive.  You may not have gotten the very best price, but you got a good price and one that you were happy with when you went for it.  Had you never looked back, you'd be just as happy now.  Get back to that.  Don't let this thing sour you on what promises to be a great vacation.

Hey, if a good upgrade shows up, then all the better.  If it doesn't, go have fun on your amazing trip!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

It kinda stinks, and I empathize with you, but it is the deal you signed up for.  Anyone else who made final payment is in the same boat (figuratively and literally).

My best advice at this point is to be positive.  You may not have gotten the very best price, but you got a good price and one that you were happy with when you went for it.  Had you never looked back, you'd be just as happy now.  Get back to that.  Don't let this thing sour you on what promises to be a great vacation.

Hey, if a good upgrade shows up, then all the better.  If it doesn't, go have fun on your amazing trip!

Yes, good advice. Haha. I won't let it ruin my vacation - I was just miffed when it happened and wanted to share my experience. But I'm not going to be unreasonable and sulk on my own vacation! 😄 
Hope you've got something fun planned too! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caz L. said:

Yes, good advice. Haha. I won't let it ruin my vacation - I was just miffed when it happened and wanted to share my experience. But I'm not going to be unreasonable and sulk on my own vacation! 😄 
Hope you've got something fun planned too! 

We do!  A few things, as a matter of fact!

May we all have magnificent times! Cheers!

• Like 1