London St Pancras to Waterloo - Rush Hour

Hi, 

To catch a cruise from Southampton, I've booked a train ticket and could use some advice the best route on the Tube from St Pancras to Waterloo during rush hour. My train is scheduled to arrive on a Thursday morning in St Pancras at 8:08am, and my connecting train leaves from Waterloo at 9:05am. My top priority is finding a relatively less crowded route. I know that might be tough during rush hour, but with so many possible routes between the two stations that all require a transfer, figured I'd post and ask. Any ideas? 

A quick search says that the Northern Line is the most congested line, but local knowledge regarding factors like congestion levels between stations, the length of trains, etc. would be helpful. 

I'm an ex-New Yorker, so I can offer similar advice for the subway if anyone happens to need it. 

Cheers!

11 hours ago, nomad92249 said:

My top priority is finding a relatively less crowded route.

If you have nerves of steel (on the timing front): Circle Line clockwise (via Liverpool Street) to Westminster, then Jubilee Line to Waterloo. The last bit is likely to be pretty crowded, but it's only one stop. This also has the advantage of a step-free change, which is important if (as seems likely) you will have luggage.

Otherwise, all Tubes are likely to be pretty crowded at that time of the morning. The obvious route is Victoria Line to Green Park and then Jubilee Line to Waterloo (because the Victoria --> Jubilee change at Green Park is a bit easier than Piccadilly --> Jubilee). Green Park has step-free changes throughout (including the escalator up to ticket hall level cheat).

Northern Line to London Bridge and then Jubilee Line to Waterloo is also feasible, with a step-free change at London Bridge. But the Jubilee Line inbound to Waterloo can also be pretty nasty.

Great advice, thanks! My suitcase is the size of a flight carry-on, and I'll have a backpack...so I'll have some luggage, but I'm not concerned about steps. 

I bought an advance single train ticket. If I happen to miss my connecting train from Waterloo, how confident can I be that my Waterloo-Southampton ticket will be accepted on the next train? In continental Europe, I've never had a problem when explaining that there had been a delay. Not sure how it works in the UK though, with me traveling with different train companies plus the Tube. 

13 hours ago, nomad92249 said:

... and my connecting train leaves from Waterloo at 9:05am.

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

If you have nerves of steel (on the timing front) ...

I was just thinking about this. Where are you starting from, and have you booked an Advance ticket (that's only valid on specified trains)?

If you're not actually tied to a specific train from Waterloo to Southampton, then you don't need to fret about timing.

This is one of those journeys about which there are about as many opinions as users of the Tube!

Personally, I'd probably do Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, then Bakerloo to Waterloo. The change at Oxford Circus is effectively a flat x-platform one (albeit through a short tunnel) and the Bakerloo might thin out there as folk from the north and west change to head for the City...but I have no experience of post-pandemic rush hours. 

15 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Personally, I'd probably do Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, then Bakerloo to Waterloo. The change at Oxford Circus is effectively a flat x-platform one (albeit through a short tunnel) ... 

Although I think that any reasonable exit from the Bakerloo Line at Waterloo requires escalators. Not a problem for rolling luggage if you know how to manage it, but not as easy as lifts.

15 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Or indeed, Thameslink, avoiding going Underground from St P.

Of course - but a long walk to change at London Bridge.

And the OP now has an idea of why there are so many different opinions on questions like this!

If it was me, I would walk out of St Pancras and grab a taxi. Fare should be around £20 so a lot more than the tube, but a lot less hassle and worry. The taxi should take less than 30 minutes even at that time of day.

Thanks for all of the great responses! I'll likely use the Victoria and Bakerloo lines via Oxford Circus. With no consensus (which I figured would be the case), I like the idea of using the Bakerloo line for some nostalgia...a few years ago, I lived for 6 months in Oxford and would frequently take the train into Marylebone Station for weekend daytrips, so the Bakerloo became "my line" in London. 

10 hours ago, nomad92249 said:

My suitcase is the size of a flight carry-on, and I'll have a backpack ...

2 minutes ago, nomad92249 said:

I'll likely use the Victoria and Bakerloo lines via Oxford Circus.

As you have little luggage, I agree with Cotswold Eagle. From the point of view of changing trains and getting out at Waterloo, you'll be fine with this route.

Green Park is a bit of a trek to cross between lines in my opinion. I would get a thameslink train to London Bridge and then 2 stops on Jubilee to Waterloo. Where is your train coming from into St Pancras? To be honest most trains at that time heading into London will be very busy.

If you did want to get the standard thameslink train you need the area labelled platforms A/B they go frequently and I think the fare to London bridge is about £3.50 / can use oyster / contactless as well.

On 8/16/2022 at 4:42 PM, nmg85 said:

Green Park is a bit of a trek to cross between lines in my opinion. I would get a thameslink train to London Bridge and then 2 stops on Jubilee to Waterloo. Where is your train coming from into St Pancras? To be honest most trains at that time heading into London will be very busy.

If you take the escalator up to the  ticket hall and back down again, it is only a short distance (the Green Park hack as referred to above).