Maui Zodiac Whale Watching Princess Excursion

PTMary

Can anyone identify what company Princess uses for their Zodiac Whale Watching excursion? I'm trying to compare the prices of the ship's excursion to booking it ourselves. 

Thanks! 

Note: I also posted this to the Hawaii Ports of Call forum. 

Zodiac Whale Watching.JPG

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Pacific Whale Foundation, Lahaina.  

Issues if you are not tendering in Lahaina.  

https://www.pacificwhale.org/

I just looked over their website and there is no mention of these being Zodiac tours. If fact, every selection suggests a larger boat with refreshments and bathrooms available, something as Zodiac certainly would not have. 

@PTMaryso sorry to lead you astray.  They "used to" have zodiac tours.  A quick search found another but they leave from Ma’Alaea Harbor.  

Do a goggle search for zodiac whale watch maui (not specific to Lahaina).  Good luck. Pacific Whale Foundation used to do a fantastic zodiac tour.

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@PTMaryso sorry to lead you astray.  They "used to" have zodiac tours.  A quick search found another but they leave from Ma’Alaea Harbor.  

Do a goggle search for zodiac whale watch maui (not specific to Lahaina).  Good luck. Pacific Whale Foundation used to do a fantastic zodiac tour.

No problem! Thanks for the additional info.

But I'm not necessarily looking for a company to book with at this time. I am asking if anyone knows who Princess contracts with for the excursion in question. I want to know how much extra they charge over what the price is if booked directly with the actual company. Some in my small group want to book through the cruise line, and some want to do it on their own. I wanted the know the cost difference to help make the best decision to satisfy everyone. 

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

You can use them as a reference point:

https://mauiadventurecruises.com/maui-whale-watch/

Thanks!

A somewhat amusing whale story: we took Grand Princess out of San Francisco to Alaska several years ago. We did a whale watching tour out of Ketchikan. We saw three whales, way off in the distance. It was quite underwhelming considering how our departure sail out of the bay went. 

After we left the dock on Fisherman's Wharf and after we had just sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge, we saw four whales along side the ship heading towards the bay. Just 1/2 hour into our cruise and barely out of San Francisco, we saw more whales, and closer up, than on what should have been a highlight of the Alaska excursions. 

Here is a poorly framed photo of one of the whales exhaling. Look for the "smudge" just to the right of dead center of the photo. 

Mother Nature has a pretty good sense of humor! 😊

IMG_0679a.JPG

Edited by PTMary
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PTMary said:

I am asking if anyone knows who Princess contracts with for the excursion in question. I want to know how much extra they charge over what the price is if booked directly with the actual company. Some in my small group want to book through the cruise line, and some want to do it on their own. I wanted the know the cost difference to help make the best decision to satisfy everyone. 

Chances are the company that Princess uses will have their excursions that day sold only through cruise lines. They may have an excursion that does not involve a cruise line, but if so, those booking it will not be with their friends who booked a Princess excursion.

But by checking what they charge on a day there are no cruise ships in port, you can see what the cruise line might add to the fare.

• Like 1

The best whale watching experience was when the Princess excursion boat picked us up while anchored.  We could spend more time out without having to do the trek from the pier.  But, sadly, they have done away with that.  

What month will you be in Maui?  That will make a huge difference.  The earliest juvenile whale has appeared in late September.  December, January and early February are the best times.

The waters around Lahaina are shallow and warm. At one time, Molokai, Lanai, and Maui were one island.  As parts sunk, it created this Humpback nursery.  FYI

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The best whale watching experience was when the Princess excursion boat picked us up while anchored.  We could spend more time out without having to do the trek from the pier.  But, sadly, they have done away with that.  

What month will you be in Maui?  That will make a huge difference.  The earliest juvenile whale has appeared in late September.  December, January and early February are the best times.

The waters around Lahaina are shallow and warm. At one time, Molokai, Lanai, and Maui were one island.  As parts sunk, it created this Humpback nursery.  FYI

We'll be in Maui the middle of March. That was interesting about the geography. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, PTMary said:

We'll be in Maui the middle of March. That was interesting about the geography. Thanks. 

Sadly, many (not all) of the HB whales will be heading back to Alaska around that time 😞

• Like 1