Altun Ha vs Chacchoben Mayan Ruins

jackadapt

We will be headed to both Belize and Costa Maya and really want to see the ruins at one of these stops.  To those who have done both, which do you recommend more.  Pros/cons?  At the port that we don't visit the ruins, we plan do some sort of rafting, whether it's cave tubing in Belize or visiting the 7 color lagoon in Costa Maya.  Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I haven’t done either but have researched a lot because we are in a similar situation. Belize also has Lamanai ruins, which takes a bit longer to get to, but is still partially unexcavated like Chacchoben. 

If your choice is just between the two you posted, Altun Ha is more developed and out in the open, and you can climb the pyramids. Chacchoben is more in the jungle, and still looks undeveloped. I think both take about the same amount of bus time and are about 4 hour excursions total. Lamanai in Belize throws in a 20 minute river run between bus and ruins and includes lunch, is 6 or 6 1/2 hours.

We will definitely do Chacchoben, but are deciding if we want to do Altun Ha, Lamanai, or just stay on the ship in Belize (not tubers), so I appreciate your question and look forward to others’ responses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackadapt said:

Lamanai is cutting a little close for comfort both on the total amount of time needed and also how far away it is.  Having said that, it does sound really cool tho.

It has kind of an Indiana Jones feel to it, but I’m sure it depends on how long the ship is in port. Most lines will also have excursions that go there if you want the timing security. I kind of like how Altun Ha and Chacchoben compliment each other, with one steep being a little more rustic and undiscovered, and the other seeing the ruins more out in the open like it would have been. But that doesn’t do you any good if you’re only going to see one!

Edited by carolina_yankee

We haven't been to Belize so can't comment on them but we have visited Chacchoben in Costa Maya.  We love Mayan ruins and during land travels over the years have spent and overnight at Chitchen itza and a day at Tulum, plus a full day both at Tikal in Guatemala and Copan in Honduras.  This past November, we took one of our daughters and grandchild on a Caribbean cruise which stopped in Costa Maya.  They had never seen Mayan ruins so we took a ship tour to Chacchoben.  I wasn't expecting much but we really enjoyed the place.  It is nicely shaded, the excavated ruins are impressive and our tour guide was excellent.  It was probably an hour drive each way from the port but as this was a ship tour, we had no worry about missing the boat. Highly recommend.

@kellie in texas   We were on Royal Caribbean's Odyssey of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale.  It was a ship excursion, so they collected everyone right on the dock. The ship was at less than 1/2 passenger capacity and at that time, if you were not vaccinated, you had to go on a separate tour bus.  We were all fully vaccinated, but don't know if that makes any difference now. All four of us really enjoyed the experience. It's a pretty place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In Belize is Xunantunich offered by your cruise line?  If so, I recommend that over Altun Ha.  Xunantunich is far from the port but I did the tour with the cruise line and would only do it with the cruise line to be safe in terms of time.  

Jen