Celebrity Insurance

RTR 21-0

We’ve never purchased travel insurance for any of our cruises but are planning to for our Mediterranean cruise next May.  I was reading over Celebrity’s insurance policy and seems pretty normal compared with 3rd party.  Don’t think I saw any specific language for covid-type travel interruption.  Is this language something we should look for or would “medical” cover any type of illness?Thought I read somewhere many months ago that could be an issue if not specifically stated.  Any recommendations on choosing a travel insurance are greatly appreciated. I think my two main things to look for are price of policy and what type of medical/cancel coverage it provides.  Beyond that I’m

not sure of the most important things to take note of.  Thanks in advance for your replies.  

Medical will cover treatment for COVID the same as it does any other illness. You’ll need to document the diagnosis with an official test/doctor’s orders, depending on the policy. 

The same is true for cancellation whether you cancel for COVID or another covered reason.  If your trip is interrupted, the Trip Interruption provision will reimburse you for the unused prepaid nonrefundable expenses and transportation home. If you are delayed, the Trip Delay provision will reimburse you for hotel and meals up to the policy limits. This is the provision that pays for shoreside quarantine if that is still an issue.

Some people do not consider the medical limits to be adequate in cruise line insurance, but it depends on what other coverage you have. Medical evacuation included in the policy will cover your transfer to another hospital if you need a higher level of care, but it will not necessarily return you to the US. Usually treatment is provided in country, and you are returned home by commercial air once you can travel. The decision is made by the doctors and the insurance company based on medical need.

If you want more control of the decision, investigate a separate evacuation policy like MedJet.

Cruise line insurance can be a cost-effective choice, especially for older cruisers because the cost is not affected by age as it is with third-party policies.

If you have concerns, discuss it with a broker who can advise you of a policy that best meets your needs. Many on here recommend Steve Dasseos or one of his associates at Trip Insurance Store.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I find the Cruise Care medical and evac coverage lacking.   In my age bracket 3rd party policies have better coverage for lower price.  

I agree.  My solution, for older cruisers, is to add a yearly GeoBlue policy for better medical and evacuation coverage to the CruiseCare policy.

• Thanks 1