Review Norwegian Gem Trieste to Greek Isles, Kotor, Dubrovnik July 31-Aug7

KarimaJ

This was a trip that had several changes. The original itinerary included Argostoli, we were notified that it was removed a month after we booked. Disappointed, but one sea day is OK with us, we don’t like a lot of sea days on our cruises. The second change was the embarkation port move from Venice to Trieste, another wrinkle. We decided to try the NCL BOGO airfare deal since prices from Boston to Venice was $1200 each. We took the 1 day deviation and flew in the day before so we could explore Venice. It worked out well, taking the red eye in to be there the morning before the cruise. We bought the Airolo eSim card for the European ports and it worked great and very cheap.

The morning of the cruise we took the train from the Santa Lucia station to Trieste along with many others on the cruise. Nice and easy and only $30. Then a cab to the new Trieste port. We showed our vaccination cards, negative Covid test and boarded rather quickly. We went to our Club Balcony room and dropped off our backpacks. Off to the garden cafe for lunch. One thing to note, it was HOT, like 90 and humid hot. I probably wouldn’t go in August again. We did another Med cruise same week a couple years ago but it wasn’t quite as bad as these ports (except Rome).

Food and Service:

The buffet was good as always, we enjoy the Indian selections on board every cruise. Lots of shrimp every day. We ate at Orchid twice and thought it was very tasty. The dining room was mostly good, but I feel like the fish selections were a little dry this time. Not quite as good as usual. The drinks were hit or miss, not as good as usual. Sometimes Moscow Mule was made well, other times it lacked the candied ginger and watery. They had no mint the first day so mojitos were out. They advertised frozen blush rose wine but they never had it. Service was fabulous as usual, staff were always happy and greeting everyone. The room steward pulled in a lounge chair for our balcony which was so nice.

Day 2: Kotor Montenegro 2:00-8:00pm

The cruise into Kotor was beautiful, such nice scenery. We had a 2 hour tour to Lady of the Rock/Perast booked with Montenegro Submarine at 3:00pm. Got our tender tickets that morning and got tender Group 3. The area we walked to was very close to the port and we got there with 20 minutes to spare. For $20 each couldn’t beat this tour. Lady of the Rock had really nice views and Perast was nice to walk around for 45 minutes. We then explored Kotor town and really liked it. So quaint with lots of shops and restaurants. The tender back was another story. In line for an hour waiting, NCL decided to move the ship closer since it was taking so long to tender people back. There was also a lot of boat traffic in that harbor as well. But there was no communication from NCL as to what was going on and people were upset, others were trying to cut the line. etc…A little communication would have gone a long way with us folks waiting in line.

Day 3: Corfu Greece 10:00-4:00pm

We were going to book a Corfu taxi tour but were too late and it filled up. There was 1 taxi company at the port but lots of people were in line talking to them and it would have been $200. So we walked to the Hop On Hop Off bus. Stopped at the palace, it was OK but nothing special. Walking up to the palace was hot. Got off at Old Town and walked the mazes of Corfu. It was a nice port but a taxi tour would have been better I think.

Day 4: Santorini 1:30-10:00

We had a NCL tour booked to avoid the cable car. We got off right at 2:00 and they put us on the tender to where the bus picks us up. We stopped at a local winery and sampled a few wines and had snacks. Really nice views from there. Got back on the bus and went to Oia. The tour guide showed us where to take panoramic pictures showing the blue domes, of course lots of others were doing the same. We walked around for a while then boarding the bus to head back to Fira. Walked around Fira and went to this really good bakery next to McDonalds that we had heard about. It was worth going to, we had iced coffee, baklava and a flaky bread with cheese and olives. Shopped around and then went to the cable car around  7:30. The line wasn’t too bad at that point. The tenders here were much better, looks like they used local boats which were much bigger and held more people then the NCL tenders.

Day 5: Mykonos

Ahhh now this was another big disappointment. The morning we arrived we were told we were not docking due to high winds. I had a tour lined up with WCM Mykonos tours. Apparently we were the only ship that did not dock, folks were upset. During the captains Q&A people asked him about it and he said there were high winds and tenders wouldn’t be safe. Captains decision. The tour company said since it was a captains decision and the port authority did not have a ban in place, this was typical for Aegean Sea so I would not get a refund. I can use it later if we ever go back, that is unlikely. Most tour companies I have booked with do refunds if you don’t make it into the port. So I am not happy with them and also have a feeling NCL didn’t try very hard here. So another sea day, ugh.

Day 6: Sea Day

Typical sea day

Day 7: Dubrovnik 6:00-2:00pm

We bought shuttle tickets for $15 (shore excursion credit covered one of these). Another poor communication from NCL here. The Daily sheet said shuttles to the port would be starting at 6:00am. Well, lots of people were outside at 6:30 waiting for the buses to start running. The bus company said they weren’t starting until 7:00am, unhappy folks again including us. We wanted to walk the walls and see the sights before the heat rolled in. So after getting to old town we walked to some of the Game of Throne sites, really enjoyed this before the crowds poured in. We then walked the walls right at 8:00 when they opened up. This was a highlight as well, was not too strenuous and offered gorgeous views. Then we walked around town, had a snack (chicken inside a long stick of pastry) and coffee. Probably my favorite port.

We took the NCL bus back to the airport in Venice, pretty uneventful.

• Thanks 3

Thanks for the review! It is always disappointing to miss ports- Argostoli and Mykonos in your case- especially when you go all the way to the Mediterranean! I hope you get a chance to go back. We've done a few Med cruises in the Fall- the weather is just right and fewer crowds. 

Hope you have good memories and photos for the places you did see! (Croatia is great isn't it!?)

4 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

Thanks for your review.  August is always pretty hot in the Med but unfortunately you got a heatwave this year.

What time did you arrive at the terminal in Trieste? It sounds like your embarkation was faster than some previous cruisers.

I believe we got there around 12:00. The train was 9:30-11:30 give or take.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for posting about your trip.   I am looking for things to do on our MSC cruise at the end of September.  We will be stopping in Santorini, and it sounds like booking thru the cruise line might be the way to go.   And we will be looking for that bakery!  I love baklava!

Edited by ohioflyer1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 11:05 AM, texascane said:

Do you remember what time folks were able to disembark, specifically the ones carrying their own luggage?

I am trying to figure out what time I'll get off the ship and make it for a flight.

Same question, we are hoping to catch a train at 8:05 - does this have a chance of working?

19 hours ago, texascane said:

Yep as long as it docks on time and you are on the first group off you should be fine.

Perfect, thanks! Will book my train tickets in advance then.

I see there are only 2 cruise ships in port that day so I am hoping they are using the main terminal for our arrival - would be that much closer to the station 🙂