Insurance for EU residents?

RosannaEL

My husband and I have a Cunard cruise coming up in a couple of weeks. The cruise was booked through Cunard's UK website. My husband is British (with a British passport), I'm Swedish, but we're both Spanish residents. I'm struggling to find any information on insurance that applies to us. The website says "It is mandatory for all UK guests to have suitable travel insurance", but for the recommended insurance company (Holiday Extras) you need to be a UK resident. I've talked to my local Spanish insurance company, who told me we'd be covered anyway through our home insurance, on top of the cover we have through our EU health card (it's a Med cruise with only EU ports). I don't want us to be turned away at check-in, so I'm thinking of buying the Cunard recommended insurance even though we're not UK residents, just to have a piece of paper to show (the cost is not enormous). I've checked Cunard's Spanish site, but it just takes me to the UK one when I click on insurance info. It's the weekend, so no answer when I call. Any input? 

https://www.staysure.com/

We have used Staysure Expat, who cover: "Brits living in France, Spain or Portugal". Not sure if that poses a problem for a Swedish Citizen?

They use a Spanish Underwriter.

Their cover at least matches what Holiday Extras and other UK insurers offer. Travel insurance offered by AXA, Allianz and others in EU doesn't give anything near the medical cover. And their annual including cruise cover policy was good value for money.

We have not needed to make a claim, so can't vouch for how easy/hard their claims handlers are to deal with.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 2