Car Rentals in Lahaina, Hilo, & Kona

hahmastro

My family is looking to rent cars at the ports of Hilo, Kona, and Lahaina. Can anyone recommend the best way to reserve a rental car. I am looking ideally to rent closest to where we disembark the ship. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Your question may get more replies on the ports forum for Hawaii, but I can tell you that last time we did that cruise on the Solstice (2019), we rented thru Costco for Hilo at the airport. It’s very close to the port and the rental car companies all had shuttles picking up at the ship. 
We looked into rentals for Lahaina, but the closest to the port was in Kaanapali at the Sheraton, and the hours were too limited to make it worthwhile. They also didn’t pick up at the dock, so we would have had to get ourselves there. We’ve been to Maui many times, so we decided to just Uber to Kaanapali beach and rented chairs/umbrella from one of the hotels and had a nice beach day.

In 2019 we rented from Av is in Lahaina.  Shuttle picked us up near the dock, was a fair ride out to pick up car, but we had an overnight there so not a big deal. Another family we met took a cab that mistakenly took them to the airport and dropped them off there.  Only gripe was finding overnight parking in Lahaina, quite expensive  we did luck out and found a free spot right near the dock

• Like 1

If I remember correctly (and it has been a few years since we stopped at those ports) none of them have Rental Agencies close to the ports. You either have to grab a cab or a shuttle in some cases. As was mentioned earlier some of the agencies are only at the airports..

For Lahaina suggest mauicarrental.com. about 100.00 per day. Will only go up. Pay at pickup so no risk.  You’ll have to get yourself to the rental location, but Uber can do that. They may start to offer transport later in the year or in the winter if it goes well for them.  Suggest usual big few for other islands……Google is your friend! 

Have you tried Turo? Have heard nothing but good about using them on the islands. We are sailing in Nov and booked a car in Oahu and in Maui (it's an overnight for us). Both will be delivered to us.  Was thinking of renting one in Hilo as well since I've read a lot of recommendations about renting a car to go to the Volcanoes Natl. Park.

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2022 at 10:07 AM, hahmastro said:

My family is looking to rent cars at the ports of Hilo, Kona, and Lahaina. Can anyone recommend the best way to reserve a rental car. I am looking ideally to rent closest to where we disembark the ship. Any advice is greatly appreciated

We were in Hilo this past Monday. We rented a car from Budget . There was a shuttle at the port to take us to the airport less than 10 minutes away. We docked at 8, had our car and we’re on the road at 9. Very easy