White Pass railroad one way to fraser

spotfish

We have a group of 8-10 cruising to Alaska next summer and I have a question, We like to rent a car in Skagway and drive into the Yukon but 5 in the group would like to take the train also so question has any one taken a car up to Fraser and picked up the train riders and then continued on with the days activities, any issues coming back across the border with more people in your car than you entered the Canadian side with?  

I have never done the train but have rented cars twice in Skagway and driven up into the Yukon.  A really great drive.  What I would be concerned about is if the people on the train actually clear Canadian immigration.  If they don't then you will have people leaving Canada that don't have entry stamps on their passports.

There really isn't any entry stamps on Passports unless you go to the trouble of asking the

Canadian officials for one. The agents do however monitor (check to see your passport)

upon your arrival into Canada.

It is not some big foreign espionage deal.

The WPYRR train to Fraser is one of the excursions often used with the combo bus up train

back or v-v. Other excursions Fraser is the launch point - The trips to Carcross and Lake

Bennett are other extensions. Read up on what is offered by the WPYRR and your cruise line

tour operators.

Here's my experience from almost 10 years ago.

We took the train up. Before getting off the train, Canadian officials came through for passport inspection.

The entrance to the parking area for the busses is after the checkpoint, the exit is before. So I presume the busses went through their check, pulled in, got loaded, and then we had to go through the checkpoint again, though I believe we were just waived through.

This year the train did not stop in Fraser. They are only running a Summit train that goes up and back with no stops. No passport needed. The logistics of checking everyone’s passports with ArriveCAN, along with a detailed manifest requirement, did not be make it possible to keep a tight schedule. Hopefully next year Canada will reduce some of these rules which will allow White Pass to stop in Fraser again.

Edited by Travel some more

On 8/17/2022 at 3:25 PM, spotfish said:

We like to rent a car in Skagway and drive into the Yukon but 5 in the group would like to take the train also so question has any one taken a car up to Fraser and picked up the train riders and then continued on with the days activities, any issues coming back across the border with more people in your car than you entered the Canadian side with?  

While most trains operated by the White Pass Route are round-trip excursions from Skagway to White Pass and return, a small number of trains provide regular point-to-point transportation between Skagway, Fraser, Lake Bennett, Carcross, and other points. That said, none of these regular trains offering point-to-point transportation are being operated in 2022, but hopefully will resume operating in 2023. Or course, Fraser itself is in the province of British Columbia, not the Yukon territory. Perhaps the five persons desiring to travel by railroad would prefer taking the train to Carcross, which is in the Yukon territory.

Generally, immigration officials track the movement of individuals, not the vehicles (if any) used by those individuals. Ordinarily there is no reason to do so. It is exceedingly common for individuals to cross a border in one direction on one vehicle, and back across the same border in a different vehicle (or not even cross the same border again at all, if traveling on a circle tour). I don't understand any concern here that would distinguish this border crossing from all the other border crossings between the United States and Canada where individuals travel in different vehicles in each direction.