Visa Credit card issues _ Marriott

Jeaannie55

Hello you lovely Canadians, I wonder if any of you can answer a query regarding my (British) visa card.  I am currently staying at the Delta Suites by Marriott whilst waiting to cruise out of Vancouver.  I checked in with said credit card and put in my PIN number, no problems.  As it was so late, we decided to have a quick drink and bite to eat, which came to 75$, which is over the daily limit of 50$ per night, although no one told us that at  check in there was a 50$ per night limit so they want me to pay another 25$ When I went to reception with credit card in hand they would not accept it as I had to swipe it and it could not be authorised.  They are now asking for $25 in cash.  I find this all very strange, so my question is, is this the norm in Canada? Or just Marriott? We have done a bit of a tour from Toronto and not encountered any such difficulties and yes there is plenty of credit on the card! 
sorry for the long post and thank you for staying with it! Any in put is appreciated . 

I have never heard of this.  I would ask for a manager.  Or it should be put on your bill for when you check out.  Who put the limit of $50?  That is also strange especially when you have plenty of credit on the card.  I would not be handing anyone cash.  

• Like 4

This might be a problem with your credit card issuer rather than the vendor.

From time to time, when traveling, we have had a credit card refused.  The vendor is at risk for the amount if the vendor does not get authorization from the credit card issuer for the transaction.

One reason why we travel with multiple credit cards.

OR....the credit card terminal could be dirty or the com lines may be faulty and may need a service in which case others at the hotel would have the same issue.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

This seems very strange to me too. Usually hotels will pre authorize a daily amount on your credit card for “incidentals”, but you’re not limited to that amount of spending. I would think this is an issue of inexperienced/poorly trained employee. Did you book the hotel directly with Marriott? When you say you had to put in your pin that makes me wonder. We usually are only asked to show the card we booked with, but are never required to enter our pin. I would also call Visa and ask why the card wasn’t authorized (as they say) for the additional $25.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

We usually are only asked to show the card we booked with, but are never required to enter our pin.

Since coming on board with Marriott, I have experienced some Delta and Sheraton Hotels requiring me to swipe/insert my card and enter pin.  I believe this is due to them continuing their previous practices vs adopting Marriott’s rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jeaannie55 said:

Thank you all for your help, I do have other credit cards with me,  but I just wanted to understand the logic behind this, as it was only $25 paying cash was not a problem. 

Would be interesting when/if you find out why this happened.  It’s certainly not normal here.  I’m sorry this happened in my lovely hometown of Vancouver.  Wishing you a wonderful cruise and hopefully no other weird issue! 

I have never been able to understand it.  We use a specific card for foreign purchases.  We sometimes buy Air Asia or Jetstar Australia tickets when we are snowbirding.  The issue is never with any other vendor.

Sometimes the on line purchase is accepted.  Once in a while it is rejected.  Same  card, same vendor.  It does not impact future purchases.  After a rejection, the card still works for other vendors.  

I have called the card issuer on two occasions.  The response was always the same.  They review the card history and tell me that there is no record of a transaction being refused.

Have to wonder if it is the vendor bank or whether it is coms line problem.

Edited by iancal