Staying On Board when docked?

DaveyGK

Hi all, we are taking our first ever cruise on World Europa in Jan and plan on staying on board when we dock in Saudi Arabia. Is there any restrictions with on board activities when in port or any deals in the spa?

There are spa deals, some venues will be closed or reduced staff/capacity since most people will be on shore. Staying onboard in port is a great way to enjoy many things the ship has to offer without the normal crowds. The pool, water slides, spa, etc. will be almost vacant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm also on Europa in January.  Nobody seems that keen on getting off in Saudi 😁 With additional cost of Visas and lack of bar service I wonder how long Saudi will remain on the Itineraries. The choice of excursions is pretty limited and I'm not sure there's that much you can do on your own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bobblehat71 said:

I'm also on Europa in January.  Nobody seems that keen on getting off in Saudi 😁 With additional cost of Visas and lack of bar service I wonder how long Saudi will remain on the Itineraries. The choice of excursions is pretty limited and I'm not sure there's that much you can do on your own.

I would check about getting a visa --India you need a visa even if staying on the ship. Have you looked on the Saudi Embassy website?

Edited by emmas gran

Thanks all, yes the visa thing for Saudi isn't clear so I'll wait until I can get a concrete answer if one is needed even if not getting off the ship. 

Would be nice to get a spa day on board instead. 

Staying onboard while docked is possible. Be advised that even if you want to stay onboard you'll need a visa, if Saudi Arabia requires it from you. That said; usually: The buffet will be open as usual. The Spa will have some specials. There will be at least 2 bars open, usually one of the reception bar sides and one of the pool bars, even if with no alcohol served due to Saudi laws. 3rd party vendors may or may not open due to both low demand or Saudi restrictions.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/23/2022 at 10:14 AM, Clarey1966 said:

If your on a fly cruise do MSC cover the cost of the Visa?  I have seen on other posts that you still need to buy the Visa yourself and that they will give you a onboard credit.

On 8/20/2022 at 3:57 PM, DaveyGK said:

Thanks all, yes the visa thing for Saudi isn't clear so I'll wait until I can get a concrete answer if one is needed even if not getting off the ship. 

Would be nice to get a spa day on board instead. 

Hi have any of you cruisers had an update from MSC about the Saudi visa?

My guess is that if there are still visa requirements then World Europa will not make the Dammam stop. 

Last year I was booked on MSC Virtuosa from Dubai and the Dammam stop was cancelled the whole season (though typically the schedule was changed relatively last minute for each cruise).   I wouldn't recommend paying anything for a Saudi visa at this point in time.

43 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

My guess is that if there are still visa requirements then World Europa will not make the Dammam stop. 

Last year I was booked on MSC Virtuosa from Dubai and the Dammam stop was cancelled the whole season (though typically the schedule was changed relatively last minute for each cruise).   I wouldn't recommend paying anything for a Saudi visa at this point in time.

Thanks for this info I will hold back till February next year and see what happens as once you apply for it there is no chance of a refund. 
For a country that’s interested in getting into tourism they need to get their act together and encourage not discourage people by making you spend money on a visa for 10hrs in port!!

• Like 1