Ease of getting to Tahiti Beaches

jbcallender

We are on a NCL cruise in November which includes Moorea, Bora Bora and Riatea (sp?).  If we opt not to do an excursion, is it easy to get transport to and from the public beaches?  Are the beaches safe?  Is there food and drink available near the beaches?  Any info regarding going and hanging out at the beaches is welcome.  I've seen the posts about the non-cruise excursions and that is an option as well.

Thanks to all!

On Bora Bora it is easy to get to Matira Beach.  Beautiful beach, plenty of small places for food and drink right on the beach.  Very limited, if at all, opportunity to rent chairs on the beach.  Sandy beach so no decent snorkeling.  On Bora Bora it really is all about the lagoon and it would be a shame not to do a snorkel excursion.  We have used Pure Snorkeling by Reef Discovery a number of times.  If you go with them they can drop you off at Matira Beach after the 3-4 hour excursion or at Bloody Mary's, if you want to have lunch there.

Taxis are at the pier to take you to Matira Beach and commonly only charge $5 per person.  If this $5 version is not available the going rate is $20 per vehicle.  Matira Beach is adjacent to the Intercontinental Hotel.  You can ask the concierge there to call a taxi for you when you are ready to head back.

On Moorea taxis are readily available at the pier as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a beach or private beach near the cruise port in Papeete?  I'd like to get a massage on the beach and hang out for an hour or so.  This will be a cruise in November, and I'm traveling solo, so need to feel safe.  Thank you for any advice.

The big island of Tahiti isn't known for it's beaches. You have to go to one of the other islands to find a nice beach. The closest I can think of is in Arue, Plage Lafayette. It's not the most attractive beach as the sand is mud colored. It has nothing  there, no beach chair rentals, no restrooms etc.

I hope that you are visiting another port besides Papeete. Papeete is  a run down, industrial looking place, nothing like what you imagine Tahiti to be. If you're only visiting Papeete, be sure to either take a circle island tour or rent a car to drive it. You'll still be hard pressed to find a beach like those found on the other islands. It's unfortunate that some ships only stop in Papeete as it doesn't give you a clue about how stunningly gorgeous the islands are. You really haven't visited Tahiti.

• Like 1

@suzycruise

Could I offer you some more advice? If you only have two days in Tahiti- I'd pass on the beach day and do two water/snorkel days. In Tahiti, the lagoons are what it's known for. Outstanding snorkeling and diving. Moorea has a beach that's not far from the port (still need a car or a taxi). But in Moorea you'll also be visiting some of the best snorkeling in Tahiti. And Papeete (well it's about a 10 minute taxi drive from the port) but look at this:

https://www.whale-dolphin-turtle.com/

We did the shipwrecks and turtles. Wonderful.

And Moorea snorkeling.....

I like Alex Lagoon Tours Moorea. #1 Tripadvisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g309685-d21230127-Snorkeling_excursion_discovery_of_the_lagoon_and_its_fauna_Intimate_vessel-Moorea_.html\

Ta’ahiamanu Beach in Moorea is on Opunohu Bay which is probably where your ship will anchor- unless you arrive on Wind Spirit which anchors in Cooks Bay. Here's a good article about Moorea beaches.

https://mikeandlauratravel.com/moorea-beaches/

What other islands are you doing on your cruise?

@jbcallender

Please be aware that your ship is HUGE for islands that are small capacity. The infrastructure is stressed terribly on the islands that are used to getting only Windstar and PG ships regularly. So be careful in thinking a taxi is going to be easy to find! They won't be. Likewise renting a car.

It will not be too much longer that big ships will be able to call at Bora Bora as the mayor is hoping to ban big ships soon. It is doubtful that there will be taxis available for you unless you are one of the first tenders after the ship's excursions tender. Matira is 10 min by taxi to from the port but it will be a mad scramble to get there.

Moorea can absorb increase in numbers a little more easily. If you're going to taxi to a beach reserve in advance (now) from Albert's. See my post about Moorea beaches above,

I'd do a private tour in Raiatea if you can still find space. Again- big ship stresses a very small island and I'd be surprised if there is still space on some independents. I love Te Mara Nui https://www.te-mara-nui.com/en/

They are a diving center but offer an awesome snorkeling tour- Coral Gardens too.

I always do independents and have just returned from doing a 100 passenger Windstar cruise, and particularly in little Raiatea, independents sold out early. Book now if you haven't done already. Your ships tours are going to be heavily booked too if not already sold out.

• 10 months later...
On 8/29/2022 at 7:13 AM, Petoonya said:

The big island of Tahiti isn't known for it's beaches. You have to go to one of the other islands to find a nice beach. The closest I can think of is in Arue, Plage Lafayette. It's not the most attractive beach as the sand is mud colored. It has nothing  there, no beach chair rentals, no restrooms etc.

I hope that you are visiting another port besides Papeete. Papeete is  a run down, industrial looking place, nothing like what you imagine Tahiti to be. If you're only visiting Papeete, be sure to either take a circle island tour or rent a car to drive it. You'll still be hard pressed to find a beach like those found on the other islands. It's unfortunate that some ships only stop in Papeete as it doesn't give you a clue about how stunningly gorgeous the islands are. You really haven't visited Tahiti.

This is so helpful for first-timers like me.  Thanks, Petoonya!

Actually there are some lovely beaches on Tahiti but it takes a little effort on your part. Pictured is the beautiful beaches on Tahiti-Iti. Rent a car and go seek out ... no resorts in this area of the island  ... it's the real Polynesia 😉

Black sand beaches .... you can almost imagine Captain Cook's ship anchored in the picture with the peaks in the background. 

10.jpg

12.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 3