Does Oceania refund due to quarantine for illness or stomach bug other than Covid

A Knitter

Travel insurance can be so frustrating.  I was quarantined for 3 days due to Gastroenteritis recently on a cruise to Alaska. .  I submitted 30 pages of medical information and other information requested by Allianz Insurance.  Now they want to know if I received a refund from Oceania.  To my knowledge Oceania will prorate and refund if you have Covid during the cruise only.  Has anyone else had a problem like this.  Thanks Maria  

From what I know, the only time Oceania will refund is for quarantine from Covid.  

As for your insurance I think the only refund you will get is for tours you paid for and could not get a refund.  You had room and board on the ship so that was covered.  Your insurance will not cover you because you were not permitted to leave your room. They should, however, cover whatever medical bills you incur.  YMMV.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 1

As far as I can tell all of the on-line Oceania provisions relating to reimbursement for Covid quarantine days have been deleted from the Oceania website.  Unless I have missed something I would surmise from this that Covid refunds for quarantine days are no longer given.

1 hour ago, daleandrews said:

As far as I can tell all of the on-line Oceania provisions relating to reimbursement for Covid quarantine days have been deleted from the Oceania website.  Unless I have missed something I would surmise from this that Covid refunds for quarantine days are no longer given.

Agree with you. Earlier this month Oceania announced revised SailSafe procedures for cruising effective Sept 3rd (with some exceptions) for allowing unvaccinated guests and other Covid protocols such as covering Covid costs while onboard: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2022-08/sails-safe-program.pdf :

If a guest tests positive for COVID-19 while on board, what costs are covered?
Guests should travel with adequate insurance coverage for costs incurred for COVID-19 relates illness and treatment.  

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a credit or refund?
Guests should travel with adequate insurance coverage for costs incurred for COVID-19 relates illness and treatment.

2 hours ago, A Knitter said:

Travel insurance can be so frustrating.  I was quarantined for 3 days due to Gastroenteritis recently on a cruise to Alaska. .  I submitted 30 pages of medical information and other information requested by Allianz Insurance.  Now they want to know if I received a refund from Oceania.  To my knowledge Oceania will prorate and refund if you have Covid during the cruise only.  Has anyone else had a problem like this.  Thanks Maria  

No compensation for other illnesses  AFAIK

11 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Agree with you. Earlier this month Oceania announced revised SailSafe procedures for cruising effective Sept 3rd (with some exceptions) for allowing unvaccinated guests and other Covid protocols such as covering Covid costs while onboard: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2022-08/sails-safe-program.pdf :

If a guest tests positive for COVID-19 while on board, what costs are covered?

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a credit or refund?

SailSafe and Ticket Contract are in conflict. The above from SailSafe is vague. I just downloaded the following from the Oceania website. It is part of the "current" Ticket Contract.

"Known or Suspected COVID-19 Case After Boarding.  You further understand and agree that if, after boarding, and even if You have fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, You test positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, We may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine You as well as members of Your travelling party, or take other steps which We determine, in Our sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, if You have a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 and You are disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined, You shall be entitled to a prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare or if required by law, a prorated refund for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. You are responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall We be liable to You for any other costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by You."

Looks like FCC might still be possible.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, readytogo54321 said:

SailSafe and Ticket Contract are in conflict. The above from SailSafe is vague. I just downloaded the following from the Oceania website. It is part of the "current" Ticket Contract.

"Known or Suspected COVID-19 Case After Boarding.  You further understand and agree that if, after boarding, and even if You have fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, You test positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, We may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine You as well as members of Your travelling party, or take other steps which We determine, in Our sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, if You have a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 and You are disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined, You shall be entitled to a prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare or if required by law, a prorated refund for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. You are responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall We be liable to You for any other costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by You."

Looks like FCC might still be possible.

You've overlooked one key provision of the ticket contract, and it is a quite unusual one as it's contrary to the usual practice of the contract provisions taking precedence over the website.

In 5.c. :

". In case of any conflict between the COVID-19 Policies and Procedures described herein or on this website, the website controls and Your agreement to abide by Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures as posted at www.oceaniacruises.com/health constitutes an integral part of this Ticket Contract. Guest agrees that the COVID-19 Policies and Procedures herein will also apply to COVID-19 variants and potentially newer diseases or illnesses not yet known."

NCLH took this approach in its ticket contracts because of the need to make frequent and sometimes near instantaneous changes to its COVID protocols.

The bottom line is that what appears on the website is automatically incorporated into the contract and the COVID protocols, procedures and provisions published on the website rule the day in the event of conflicting provisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, A Knitter said:

We did not receive a refund from Oceania when we were quarantined for three days due to GI issues.