How to Dress for Christmas Markets

cleobella

We took a Rhine River Christmas Markets cruise from late November to early December.

Comfortable weather proof hikers/boots would work well.  Not the boots that we Wisconsinites use to shovel snow, but some lighter weight trail hikers: I have some Vasque Gore Tex lined hikers that are low cut like sneakers.  

Warm, lightweight wool or polypropylene socks.  No cotton, if they get wet, they stay cold and wet. Also recommend some warm gloves and a hat if your jacket does not have a hood. 

I took a midweight walking coat that was somewhat water resistant.  We had no rain.  But the mistake I made was not taking an insulating layer under that coat.  I wore fleece shirts underneath, but I should have also taken my Eddie Bauer lightweight down vest that I could wear under the coat. 

All was well until Strasbourg: it was bitterly cold and clear that day, with a light wind.  I'd say in the teens.  We were touring and in town all day, waiting for a dinner reservation in the evening.  Once the sun started to set, I was just frozen.  We ducked into shopping malls, stores and bars until it was time for our dinner (which was well worth staying for.)  

• Thanks 1

I wore my Brooks GORE-TEX athletic shoes (waterproof). We had more rain than snow. I would wear what you would wear to be outside for hours where you live.

I wore a sweet shirt and then a warmer rain jacket (one of the old style that is more rubbery than lightweight). I did have ear protection (band) and gloves. I did not need my winter jacket but had it in case.

I would agree with layers. In December where I live (mid-west) - we can have any type of weather in December. We have had warm Decembers and down right cold Decembers.

• Thanks 1