How to Dress for Christmas Markets

cleobella

We are taking a Christmas Market Cruise in mid December, will visit Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Strasbourg, Black Forest area, and Zurich.  I wonder how we should plan to dress for outside activities?  Would a light thermal coat be OK with gloves,scarves, layered with a sweater or thermal tee shirt underneath? Or do we need a heavy winter coat?  Also, do we need to bring boots, or can we get away with waterproof hiker type shoes or even running shoes?  We live in Ontario Canada, and it can be variable in December here but not usually super cold, there can be snow.  Is Germany/Alsace/ Switzerland the same?

3 hours ago, cleobella said:

We are taking a Christmas Market Cruise in mid December, will visit Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Strasbourg, Black Forest area, and Zurich.  I wonder how we should plan to dress for outside activities?  Would a light thermal coat be OK with gloves,scarves, layered with a sweater or thermal tee shirt underneath? Or do we need a heavy winter coat?  Also, do we need to bring boots, or can we get away with waterproof hiker type shoes or even running shoes?  We live in Ontario Canada, and it can be variable in December here but not usually super cold, there can be snow.  Is Germany/Alsace/ Switzerland the same?

We were in Alsace this past December and it was snowing... flurries. I wouldn't say you  need anything heavy and your first outfit should suffice. Nor should you need boots. You should insure you have a outer layer that is waterproof as you are more likely to see rain/ sleet than full on snow. You will be in a town and always will have the ability to duck into a shop to escape the weather for a bit.

We did a Danube Christmas. Different Ports of course, but our weather was a lot of overcast, drizzle rain light snow, full sun and umbrella required rain. So, a little of everything. Temperatures were 35-45F. Wore winter coats. Maybe a little overkill depending on your tolerance. No boots, but water proof Timberland shoes. Gloves, earmuffs,scarfs. water repellant  hat of hood. Long underware and hand warmers.Costco or Amazon is  a  cheap source for stuff you only need occationally. We did not buy anything special, but we did use, at one time or another, all that we brought. Ship provided umbrella used one morning. Cold breeze

As a German I can only recommend to check temperatures and weather forecasts.

I remember freezing on Cristmas markets even though I wore double layers of underware, a thick winter coat and all the scarves, gloves and so on.

At other times it was so warm (maybe  10 -15 C) that it was almost no fun to drink our famous hot wine, Glühwein.

• Like 4

It can be brutally cold...  When we were in Cologne, it was the coldest December 1st in many years...   And - we are used to cold weather (we live in Whitby - so just down the road from you!!).  We did hit some snow, but also some cold, wet drizzle.  

If possible - take a down jacket.  They can often be compressed into a small bag.  Warm socks, mitts, hat.  We didn't need boots, but were glad our shoes were somewhat water resistant. 

Fran

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Don't forget yourgettyimages-886942460-612x612.jpg.cb9f45fd350293b6de04ccd07b2f8db9.jpg Christmas sweaters!

8 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Yes, for sure!  👏 Your sure to blend right in with the locals not standing out at all.  😁

Chances of Americans passing as locals at a Christmas market are really slim. It starts with the feet and goes downhill as people look up from there.

• Haha 1

Christmas sweaters are quite un-German. I have seen them a bit more in shops in the last few years, though. Got my first sweat-shirt with Christmas motif ever two years ago.

Take a really good pair of shoes, thick sole, water-resistant material. As my fellow German said, the temperature can vary quite a bit from year to year. One thing that is more or less certain is that it will at least two degrees Celsius cooler in the Black Forest that in the valley. It could be rain in Breisach and proper good snow in the hills.

I agree that if you are from North America it is very difficult to blend in, but if there is any time when it does not matter it is during Christmas market season, I should say Advent. Fill your eyes with wonder, grab a glass of glühwein or buy a bag of caramelized almonds if you prefer, smile and you will blend in well. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

The Christmas Sweater chatter is making me laugh out loud!  Hate to say it, but I am well known for my festive Christmas attire here in Ontario during the holidays, and now my kids mock me by coming to Christmas Dinner, and Parties in Christmas Sweaters too, and dressing the kids up as well!  Now of course we call these sweaters  "Ugly Christmas Sweaters".  Some of them cost big bucks back in the day! I'll stick with a black thermal coat, waterproof hikers, red mitts, scarf and hat, and will plan to layer. Sehr Schick!  Love the hand warmers idea!  Shout out to Whitby!

Yes, the head gear is the advance stage of "un-Germanness". 😁

But I have seen them donned after a glass of glühwein in recent years...

Good examples of winter gear in the photos. Definitely bring gloves etc. for the early excursions even if the weather report suggests pleasant temperatures. You may indeed hit mild afternoons. You could of course buy gloves and other accessories at your destination, may be a nice souvenir, but you may not want to spend precious time shopping for this with - especially with cold hands.

notamermaid

On 8/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, cleobella said:

Shout out to Whitby!

Thanks!!

Enjoy your trip...  Although this is not in the "what to wear" department, remember to pack some bubble wrap and/or tissue paper.  Lots of treasures to be found in the markets - and you want to be able to get them home safely!!

Fran

7 hours ago, franski said:

Thanks!!

Enjoy your trip...  Although this is not in the "what to wear" department, remember to pack some bubble wrap and/or tissue paper.  Lots of treasures to be found in the markets - and you want to be able to get them home safely!!

Fran

Socks can also be used.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Nuremberg to Vienna in 2018 (first week in December).  I found that the important thing was to plan for layers.  The coldest I've ever been was sitting in the Cathedral in Passau waiting for a concert to start.  One thing I do recommend though which may seem odd.....  waterproof rain/snow pants. I had nice ones, not the slick fabric  We had drizzle off and on through out our walks/tours.  I got lots of jealous comments about them.   I could sit anywhere, and never worry about getting wet.  No uncomfortable wet pant legs.  I also brought my down jacket, which was only water resistant, lightweight rain jacket and wore them at the same time.   Kept my down jacket dry.

• Like 1

First CPT thank you I’m already working out how to make the headgear absolutely fantastic!

What to wear don’t forget the ‘silk’ and here I mean fabric I have a set of silk long johns, a pair of socks and of gloves there all so light and heat retaining they wash and wear overnight they’ve been with me everywhere even to winter camp now that’s cold.

I’ve thought of a silk balaclava but didn’t want to look like a Ninja 🥷 

On 8/21/2022 at 8:59 PM, CPT Trips said:

Hot Glühwein cups make great handwarmers; empty ones make great souvenirs. Make sure you save luggage space to bring them home. 

Take some bubble wrap and tape with you.  Really helps when packing all those treasures from the markets, including your new collection of Gluhwein cups!

Remember that you’ll likely be used to the weather more so than a person who lives in Florida for instance. 

I find that I’m not bothered by the cold as much as those who live in the south. 

I would think that the weather would be similar to that in Ontario and would dress for time spend outdoors. 

Definitely hats and gloves. A good coat. I’m bringing my fleece lined tights and waterproof shoes. But I own and wear them a lot when I spend time outside. Also remember that you may spend more time sitting and that is colder than moving. 

• Like 2

"Remember that you’ll likely be used to the weather more so than a person who lives in Florida for instance." Deb922

This is what we thought years ago (we live in NH).  We had looked at the temperatures on the Rhine and they were comparable to our temps, but is a damp cold that feels colder!!!  All the suggestions are great, I use cashmere lined leather gloves and smart wool socks.  Dress in layers.  One Christmas Market cruise I did not need a heavy coat!

Second seating

• 2 weeks later...