New to Carnival, what to expect?

51st FMS

On 8/23/2022 at 6:43 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

I don't have anything to add for the OP, but I wanted to highlight these two posts.  What I had heard about NCL in the past is that their food is so-so at best in the free outlets, but much better in the surcharge venues.  I wonder if something has changed on NCL, or if it's always been like this and it's been misreported by others.  Food for thought.

Sorry for the interruption.  I'll see myself out.

Your assumption regarding NCL vs Carnival when it comes to MDR food is pretty spot on.  Unfortunately Carnivals quality has slipped a bit over the last few years and NCL's is status quo, so they are fairly close now.  NCL has more night time specialty venues, but in general Carnival blows NCL out of the water with lunch options, especially on the Excel Class.  But, NCL's game changer, the Viva Class is on the horizon and their Indulge Food Hall will raise the bar above what Carnival's Excel Class does.  Competition is a good thing and the consumer comes out ahead in the end.

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 5:44 PM, Badfinger said:

Yes I can compare two experiences...and I do.  Why should you not be able to do this?  Is not Carnival trying to deliver the same experience to all cruisers regardless of ship or time of year?  

I have been on 9 cruises.  8 of them have been between June and August as we had our kids.  So, yeah I can compare the horribly long lines of our last cruise in June to the previous 7 during the those months.  Same port and same class of ship (Breeze or Magic).  This past cruise the lines and level of service was frankly beyond bad, and because of that we have put a pause on cruising for the foreseeable future...maybe forever.  But that is a good thing...one less person in line with you and more private guided fishing trips to MN and Canada for me!

As for the comedians,  sure they may not swear, but they still will not be funny.  I don't think I have seen funny comedian on CCL since Cowboy Bill about 8 years ago.  Hope for some he is still working ship some where.

And thanks for the heads up about the NCL and RCI.  I guess we won't think about going on them either if as you say long lines are the norm across all cruise lines.

First of all, hope you enjoy your private fishing trips since it looks like cruising is in your rear view mirror.  Once your kids grow up and you no longer have to cruise over the summer you'll see a different product.  You'll also see a different product between a ship that was built 20+ years ago versus one of the Vista or Excel Class ships.  Just like there is a difference between cruising on July 4th versus cruising on October 4th.  July cruising is going to have a substantially higher percentage of kids and cruising on a newer build is going to have more bells and whistles and a better product.  .

Regarding comedians, the Excel Class will have as many as 6 per week doing adult and family shows.  We only go to the adult shows and there is the occasion dud show, but more often than not they are good.  Maybe you'll see comedy in a different light when you no longer have the kids in tow at a family show.  But of course cruising could be in your rear view mirror.  

If it's not, try a slightly more upscale brand like Princess or Celebrity once the kids get out of college.

We have cruised on Disney and Carnival.   Now that Disney's prices have gone through the roof, we have been sticking to Carnival and have NEVER been disappointed.   Carnival has a wide mixture of people on board and we like that.   It's fun to meet a newlywed couple on their first cruise.  It's GREAT to see the children so excited about the pools and the water slides.   It's fun to meet empty nesters like us who have been cruising a long time, and college age kids are always fun to have around.   The thing that keeps amazing us is the friendliness of of the staff - and I mean ALL of the staff.  It doesn't matter if they are cleaning the ship at 2 in the morning, or wearing a white uniform on formal night, the Carnival staff is always saying hi with a smile.  If you don't like something, make sure you tell them, and they will make it right.   I have found the food to be very good, but the Steakhouse is consistently one of the finest restaurants we have ever eaten at - anywhere.    I am sure there will be some differences between Celebrity/Holland American/Princess and Carnival, but we like the variety of people and the laid back, fun atmosphere.  Go enjoy yourself, and don't worry about those who keep saying this is the "Walmart" of cruises.   There are a lot of really wealthy, classy people who are just fun to be with on these ships too.   Oh, and the Glory?  We have been on it twice and loved it both times.   Out of NewOrleans, you will have a 8 hour cruise out down the Mississippi to the gulf.   That is a special treat on this cruise.  

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, BTromboneFrack said:

We have cruised on Disney and Carnival.   Now that Disney's prices have gone through the roof, we have been sticking to Carnival and have NEVER been disappointed.   Carnival has a wide mixture of people on board and we like that.   It's fun to meet a newlywed couple on their first cruise.  It's GREAT to see the children so excited about the pools and the water slides.   It's fun to meet empty nesters like us who have been cruising a long time, and college age kids are always fun to have around.   The thing that keeps amazing us is the friendliness of of the staff - and I mean ALL of the staff.  It doesn't matter if they are cleaning the ship at 2 in the morning, or wearing a white uniform on formal night, the Carnival staff is always saying hi with a smile.  If you don't like something, make sure you tell them, and they will make it right.   I have found the food to be very good, but the Steakhouse is consistently one of the finest restaurants we have ever eaten at - anywhere.    I am sure there will be some differences between Celebrity/Holland American/Princess and Carnival, but we like the variety of people and the laid back, fun atmosphere.  Go enjoy yourself, and don't worry about those who keep saying this is the "Walmart" of cruises.   There are a lot of really wealthy, classy people who are just fun to be with on these ships too.   Oh, and the Glory?  We have been on it twice and loved it both times.   Out of NewOrleans, you will have a 8 hour cruise out down the Mississippi to the gulf.   That is a special treat on this cruise.  

This! Take the cruise have fun and make memories.

• Like 4

On 8/20/2022 at 10:46 PM, 51st FMS said:

On previous trips when traveling with family or friends, we were all allowed to board at the same time because of my handicap priority boarding. I doubt this would happen, but would be nice. 

When my Sister in law was in a wheel chair,  only one person from our group was allowed to board early with her.

What a fun trip to look forward to. You must have spent hours getting everyone's schedules and travel plans put together. I travel with my sisters and mother several times a year - sometimes with all of the kids and grandkids. Over the years we have stayed in some high end places and some on the very other end of the scale. We have found that nothing is perfect and as long as we are together we will have a good time.

Enjoy your family and the memories made!

• Like 3

On 8/21/2022 at 7:40 PM, wany said:

I just had my first Carnival cruise on the Miracle to Alaska. Before this I have only sailed RCCL, Norwegian, and Celebrity.

Food was one of the biggest let down, the buffet lacks variety and hours are limited.

Correct wrt buffet.  We've done a variety of cruiselines (based on my wife's work schedule, cost, logistics, etc.).  And carnival is the only cruise line that for all buffets (breakfast, lunch, dinner) is really limited in selection (no curries, Indian things, Asian things). For breakfast every day, I seem to get the juevos rancheros with an arepa--and no other cruise line seems to offer this type of thing (note: there are other basic American choices, but I really like the juevos rancheros).

And I noticed that even on week long cruises they never seem to have lamb chops (I love some good, herb crusted lamb chops...), so they're  a tad more limited in what they offer--but they also have some of the best complimentary foods at sea (the burgers, now shaq chicken, blue iguana).   And other vloggers have confirmed that even on their newer, biggest ships, the buffet is still kind of a downer (not 'bad', just not the variety that RC, NCL, Hal, Celebrity put out).  Overall, it hasn't deterred us.  We are likely about to book Mardi Gras for later this year.  But this is just something for people to be aware of.  Carnival is definitely geared toward a very 'middle America' type palate.

Edited by jimbob22
  • Like 2

On 8/21/2022 at 8:52 PM, notplatinum said:

Rccl is classier 

the 'image' is classier, but we have 'loyal to royal' friends that admit that the 3 nighter they took (to get the three nights of credit) was really wild and 'walmart-ish'.  IMO, anyone that doesn't mix it up and explore different cruise lines is missing out a bit.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, 51st FMS said:

Thanks for all the replies.  From your comments, the most important thing is I need to change to fixed dinning and then not sure we'll get all 12 together.  I'll check with the dinning room as soon as we can board.  Seems most of the other comments were standard experiences no matter what line you are on.  Good/bad food, good/bad entertainment, long/short lines.  Best advice was to go with the flow and have a good time. Which we will and alway have.  Thanks again. 

Just a note, but I have to say something about it as it seems all to frequent on these boards.  I requested info about Carnival which I got, however it seemed some had to bash our decision to go with them.  When I was putting this together, I had to deal with 12 people's schedules, cost for 12 people, flights, hotels and what was best for my 6 grandkids.  Holland and Princes are great lines and we have enjoyed each cruise we've been on. But they are not for kids to enjoy.  RCL and NCL looked good but the schedules were not right. for us. Disney was out of the picture because of cost.     Due to covid, this was the 4th cruise we booked.  I have to have an accessible cabin and I have to start really early to book what I want.  (in part because people without disabilities are booking accessible cabins)  This whole process started with an Alaskan cruise in August of 2021, being booked in Feb of 2019.  I was looking for positive informative comments a I got more than enough, but as usual there are always those who have to put a damper on it.  

I totally get what you are saying and had been thinking along the same lines in guessing about scheduling etc.  I can tell you that as a sometimes disabled cruiser (I have MS, symptoms come and go) the Carnival crew are incredible at accommodating and assisting. They are truly just amazing. Also, since the restart, muster drill is such a delight. Gather your gang together and go check in at your station after you board. It will only take like 10 minutes at the most.

Having sailed several times with teens on a few different lines, the free food options on Carnival are great. None of the places other than specialty sit down restaurants that are only open at dinner anyway and the coffee place charge extra for food. (I’m looking at you, Johnny Rockets 😠) which is really easy for the kids. They don’t have to figure out if the food is free or not. 

Since you have a lot of kids in the same age range, they will probably want to hang out together. The library has board games and trivia and the other games offered during the day are all family friendly. We have also done our own games when sailing with extended family. For instance, a scavenger hunt—picture or otherwise. We also did a sort of meet up game saying “at 1:00, we’ll see you by the hang out for a food Network Star” etc. Grandma gave out mini Hershey bars to those who got to the right place within 5 min of the time. Hiding ducks has also become a popular thing. You could have a challenge for the kids on who finds the most. Bring some for them to hide and award a winner to the person whose stays in place the longest. My thought is that if you plan some fun, the 18 year old won’t be left out by everyone else heading off to the clubs. I know our cousin group generally all hang together, but just in case. 

Also, our entire family love the PG comedy. My kids like fed that as preteens they could go too. Even when I sail with just my sisters (we range in age from 50-70) we almost always go to the PG shows and often give the R ones a pass. Lol

Have a great cruise. And btw, the Glory is my favorite class of ship 🛳 n Carnival. 

• Like 2