Flights by Celebrity to Galapagos--not available online?

NoWhiners

Hi all

We are booked for Flora next June. I went into our booking to try and book flights but I can't access the online version to see what flights are available and to book. Are flights to the Galapagos different somehow, is it because it's Sunday, am I doing something wrong??

I hope the mods don't move this to Cruise Air or even SA ports--I already looked there and no help. Galapagos must not be very popular, absolutely no recent activity for the Galapagos!

Thanks for any help.

We are scheduled to go next April and we had to call celebrity to book flights.  Was very disappointed in their selections.  Prices were okay but routing was mostly through Miami on American Airlines.  We eventually found better flights for our needs and canceled.  Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Lotte1956 said:

We are scheduled to go next April and we had to call celebrity to book flights.  Was very disappointed in their selections.  Prices were okay but routing was mostly through Miami on American Airlines.  We eventually found better flights for our needs and canceled.  Good luck!

Thanks for this <depressing> reply. I found a flight on Delta I'd like to book but now I'm worried. Don't want to fly thru Miami, but Delta goes thru Atlanta so not a big improvement. When I went in to book, there was note to call but I was hoping I could do it myself.

We have a flight credit due to a promotion when we booked.  I wonder if that will be worth anything?!

Thanks again.

• Like 1

We are booked for September 2024 and have a flight credit. I have checked out current schedules and decided we will have Celebrity book us round trip from Miami to Quito. We will get ourselves to and from Miami, since that gives us better options for flight times as well as flexibility to add on to our trip.

• Thanks 1

We did have the $750 pp credit for flights but they gave us $500 pp off our booking for not taking their flight.  I can’t guarantee that’s what they will do for you but I think there’s a good chance.  We are taking the Delta option which is way better for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowballs mom said:

We are booked for September 2024 and have a flight credit. I have checked out current schedules and decided we will have Celebrity book us round trip from Miami to Quito. We will get ourselves to and from Miami, since that gives us better options for flight times as well as flexibility to add on to our trip.

Looks like you're in the same boat as us, so to speak!  I'm trying to avoid Miami, because we either have to spend the night to arrive at a reasonable time the same day or arrive at midnight or something like that. Seems like a waste of a day to arrive so late.

Thanks for your reply, helps flesh out options.

Enjoy your trip.

1 minute ago, Lotte1956 said:

We did have the $750 pp credit for flights but they gave us $500 pp off our booking for not taking their flight.  I can’t guarantee that’s what they will do for you but I think there’s a good chance.  We are taking the Delta option which is way better for us.

Not sure I am following. You had the $750 credit (on AA thru Miami?) but got the $500 off to select the Delta flight instead? That sounds good to me 🙂 Good job.

Did you have to wait really long when you called?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, NoWhiners said:

Looks like you're in the same boat as us, so to speak!  I'm trying to avoid Miami, because we either have to spend the night to arrive at a reasonable time the same day or arrive at midnight or something like that. Seems like a waste of a day to arrive so late.

Thanks for your reply, helps flesh out options.

Enjoy your trip.

We both hate flying due to the cost and inconvenience, so we tend to spend longer periods of time at a destination. We are retired so it makes it easy to tack on another cruise before or after. We also have family in the area, so we like to take the opportunity to visit.

Just by not taking the flight through Celebrity, they gave us a 1000 credit applied to our booking.  If you locate the number to the Galapagos group it’s not a long wait.  When I called I called the normal Celebrity number had to wait and then get transferred again.  Sorry don’t know the number.

18 minutes ago, snowballs mom said:

We both hate flying due to the cost and inconvenience, so we tend to spend longer periods of time at a destination. We are retired so it makes it easy to tack on another cruise before or after. We also have family in the area, so we like to take the opportunity to visit.

I hear that. we are also retired and hate flying but no option here. Nice to have family nearby.

Thanks and have a safe trip.

12 minutes ago, Lotte1956 said:

Just by not taking the flight through Celebrity, they gave us a 1000 credit applied to our booking.  If you locate the number to the Galapagos group it’s not a long wait.  When I called I called the normal Celebrity number had to wait and then get transferred again.  Sorry don’t know the number.

So you called Celebrity to try and book the flight and they gave you the credit or Delta did this?

Sorry I'm not tracking better 🙃

9 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

So you called Celebrity to try and book the flight and they gave you the credit or Delta did this?

Sorry I'm not tracking better 🙃

The Celebrity Galapagos air promotion gives you a choice of either:

1. receiving a $750 pp air fare credit if you book your air using Flights by Celebrity

OR

2. receiving a $500 pp discount off the cruise fare if you don't book your flights thru Celebrity (i.e. you book the air on  your own).

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

The Celebrity Galapagos air promotion gives you a choice of either:

1. receiving a $750 pp air fare credit if you book your air using Flights by Celebrity

OR

2. receiving a $500 pp discount off the cruise fare if you don't book your flights thru Celebrity (i.e. you book the air on  your own).

Ohhhh, thank you so much for explaining this. I'm sure they will tell me when I call but it's good to be forewarned! I wouldn't actually mind booking directly thru Delta, seems more straight-forward.

I guess I'll be calling FBC tomorrow...

22 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Ohhhh, thank you so much for explaining this. I'm sure they will tell me when I call but it's good to be forewarned! I wouldn't actually mind booking directly thru Delta, seems more straight-forward.

I guess I'll be calling FBC tomorrow...

Note the two different promo codes for Galapagos sailings in the fine print (click on the image to make it a little bit bigger):

image.thumb.png.c12096a6bb4116566679e9d390eb54c5.png

If you decide to book your own air, make sure you have the GALAPNOAIR discount promo applied to your cruise booking.  GALAPNOAIR will show up as a separate line item on your booking paperwork that Celebrity issues to either you or your TA if you are using one.

Edited by mahdnc

12 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Note the two different promo codes for Galapagos sailings in the fine print (click on the image to make it a little bit bigger):

image.thumb.png.c12096a6bb4116566679e9d390eb54c5.png

If you decide to book your own air, make sure you have the GALAPNOAIR discount promo applied to your cruise booking.  GALAPNOAIR will show up as a separate line item on your booking paperwork that Celebrity issues to either you or your TA if you are using one.

Hmm, now I'm worried. My original booking doesn't have that note on it, just the FLYGALAP promo listed. I did switch the booking to a TA but I think I can still use FBC without their being involved. Seems like I've done that in the past. I guess will just have to see what they say when I call.

While I have everyone' attention, I just saw the note that Ecuador requires us to have travel insurance, including med evac. Anyone have any suggestions on a good insurance company for this? We've never bought travel insurance before so absolutely no experience. I'm going to check the Insurance thread too.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Hmm, now I'm worried. My original booking doesn't have that note on it, just the FLYGALAP promo listed. I did switch the booking to a TA but I think I can still use FBC without their being involved. Seems like I've done that in the past. I guess will just have to see what they say when I call.

While I have everyone' attention, I just saw the note that Ecuador requires us to have travel insurance, including med evac. Anyone have any suggestions on a good insurance company for this? We've never bought travel insurance before so absolutely no experience. I'm going to check the Insurance thread too.

Thanks.

If you wish to book your air thru Celebrity, you can call FBC directly and work with them even though you have a TA.  You just have to keep your TA in the loop so that when final payment time comes, he or she is aware that it should include the airfare minus the air credit.

I imagine that you can have your TA switch your booking to the GALAPNOAIR promo, if you decide to book on your own.

As far as travel insurance goes, we have been purchasing an Allianz policy from our TA.  They are good, but there are others out there that are good, too.

Edited by mahdnc

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

If you wish to book your air thru Celebrity, you can call FBC directly and work with them even though you have a TA.  You just have to keep your TA in the loop so that when final payment time comes, he or she is aware that it should include the airfare minus the air credit.

I imagine that you can have your TA switch your booking to the GALAPNOAIR promo, if you decide to book on your own.

Excellent. I'll call FBC and see what they can offer, then call the TA to make the switch if I can.

Thanks. You're on a roll--any advice on insurance?? 🙂

Just now, NoWhiners said:

Excellent. I'll call FBC and see what they can offer, then call the TA to make the switch if I can.

Thanks. You're on a roll--any advice on insurance?? 🙂

I edited my last post to include an insurance carrier recommendation.  Allianz.  They are a very well known name. The thing is, I have been fortunate that I have never had to file a claim which is the real test.  There may be others who will give you some other names to consider and what their experiences are.

Just now, mahdnc said:

I edited my last post to include an insurance carrier recommendation.  Allianz.  They are a very well known name. The thing is, I have been fortunate that I have never had to file a claim which is the real test.  There may be others who will give you some other names to consider and what their experiences are.

Thanks, I just saw your edit. I agree there are other options but since we've never done it, I thought it would be good to get advice from those who have. Insurance will be my next task after booking flights.

I appreciate your help.

I just went thru this a few months ago for my trip this September.  The options Celebrity Air had were horrible and expensive.  I did research on my own and found better options.  I called Celebrity and had them reprice my cruise without the the air credit and was able to make the adjustment.  I booked my own flights and since I have the pre-cruise package, I just called back and let them know my flight information.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Illsticktocrusing said:

I just went thru this a few months ago for my trip this September.  The options Celebrity Air had were horrible and expensive.  I did research on my own and found better options.  I called Celebrity and had them reprice my cruise without the the air credit and was able to make the adjustment.  I booked my own flights and since I have the pre-cruise package, I just called back and let them know my flight information.  

This is really helpful, thanks. We also signed up for the pre-cruise option and Macchu Picchu, so we'll need a flight home from Lima. Did you book thru a TA or direct with X? I suspect that if I want to reprice, I will have to do that thru the TA. Maybe FBC can answer that when I call. Good reminder to call X and let them know my flights if I book my own.

Who did you get insurance from?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Illsticktocrusing said:

I did book with Celebrity.  As for insurance, after I compared my needs, I purchased insurance thru Celebrity as the price difference was not that much.  I did add the insurance later on and not at the time of booking. 

Thanks. I'll take a look at X's insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

On the flights, I also had the air package and booked through Celebrity.  We were able to choose from a number of airlines/flights, and chose a Delta flight to Quito and an American flight back from Lima.  Celebrity booked refundable fares so they were more expensive than the less flexible fares that I could have booked on my own, but given the uncertainties of travel if another flare up of COVID were to happen, it seemed wiser to keep things flexible.

Regarding travel insurance, it really depends on what aspects are the most important for you.  Some things to watch out for include pre-existing conditions, whether you want to be able to cancel for any reason, and whether the insurance is primary vs. secondary (i.e. you pay out of pocket first and the policy covers whatever your regular insurance doesn't, and you file for reimbursement).  www.insuremytrip.com and www.travelinsurance.com are just a couple of Web sites that offer comparisons of policies.  When I looked, the pricing was the same from any Web site for the same policy.

We booked our own flights with Delta, as Celebrity didn’t offer business/ first from my little airport, but ended up with the Celebrity insurance for $1758, as they had a cancel for any reason waiver that refunded 90% as FCC.  The CFAR insurance with private insurance would have been $4k+ for the two of us. I also have annual GeoBlue and MedJet policies, but I’m nervous about weather delays and who knows what else that could happen between now and January.