Mexico Tourist Card Required for HAL Cruises?

expattraveler

Are US passport holders required to obtain a Mexico Tourist Card (FMM), or visa to cruise from San Diego to Mexico ports?

I received an email form HAL this morning with an attachment stating passengers are required to obtain all necessary travel documents including visas for our upcoming cruise to Mexico. “If you do not have all necessary documents upon arrival at embarkation you will be denied boarding.”

I am aware the passenger is responsible for passports, visa’s, etc; however, we are departing San Diego on November 19 for a seven day round trip to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. Although we’ve never sailed HAL to Mexico ports, we have sailed Princess and Celebrity to Mexico prior to COVID and never needed  Mexican Tourist Card (FMM) or visa. We always carry our passports.

I’ve looked online and found a website “Visas Mexico” which states the following: “Sea passengers do not need to complete the FMM form in advance, the visitor permit is issued at the first port of call in Mexico.” It further states: “Cruise ship passengers from visa-exempt nations can disembark the ship at any Mexican port without a visa provided they only visit the surrounding area and embark the same ship to continue the journey.” which is what we plan on doing at all ports.

I called HAL for clarification. I was on hold for a long time without pick up so I thought I could post the question here and hopefully a clear response.

Thank you in advance for the help!

47 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Not required for closed-loop sailings to Mexico from U.S. ports.

Not required for any cruise stop of any type, as long as you don't start your cruise in Mexico. But don't confuse this  with the passport requirements.

• Like 1

KroozNut/CruiserBruce,

Thank you for your replies and information.

I understand about passports; however, I was confused when HAL included visa’s for a cruise to Mexico starting and ending in the US in their canned “be prepared” document.

Again thank you for the help!

1 hour ago, expattraveler said:

KroozNut/CruiserBruce,

Thank you for your replies and information.

I understand about passports; however, I was confused when HAL included visa’s for a cruise to Mexico starting and ending in the US in their canned “be prepared” document.

Again thank you for the help!

In my experience that is just a blanket that hal sends out for the cruises I go on.  I get it for every cruise I'd done for a long while, most going to Mexico.