Progress on Viking Saturn?

coljack

Thank you for the update. We are also on the June 7th cruise for our first Viking cruise. I did not realize the ship would only be on her second itinerary. If I had I probably would not have booked it based on a couple of new ships having had to postpone their first several cruises as they fell behind schedule because they were not finished. 

3 hours ago, Astromaid said:

Thank you for the update. We are also on the June 7th cruise for our first Viking cruise. I did not realize the ship would only be on her second itinerary. If I had I probably would not have booked it based on a couple of new ships having had to postpone their first several cruises as they fell behind schedule because they were not finished. 

Although you always have supply chain issues these days, I'll suggest the ship is in an advanced state of construction, having floated out in June. I believe the first revenue cruise is currently May 2nd from Civitavecchia, so they have lots of time, since this is a well-known design, being ship # 10. The ship could be complete by Feb/Mar.

Rather than delays, I expect Viking may add additional sailings similar to what they did with Neptune. Once the delivery date is finalised, we may see 1 or 2 additional sailings from closer to the shipyard, unless Viking has a major promotional sailing planned for TA's and/or media.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 7:22 AM, Heidi13 said:

Although you always have supply chain issues these days, I'll suggest the ship is in an advanced state of construction, having floated out in June. I believe the first revenue cruise is currently May 2nd from Civitavecchia, so they have lots of time, since this is a well-known design, being ship # 10. The ship could be complete by Feb/Mar.

Rather than delays, I expect Viking may add additional sailings similar to what they did with Neptune. Once the delivery date is finalised, we may see 1 or 2 additional sailings from closer to the shipyard, unless Viking has a major promotional sailing planned for TA's and/or media.

Thanks, Andy, for this update.

We are also on the June 7, 2023 Saturn New York to Iceland cruise.  I have full confidence things will be just fine.  No doubt previous ship delays were due to COVID and the downstream affects (supply chain, labor shortage issues, etc).    We look forward to being on a new ship!

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 9:30 AM, coljack said:

We are booked on Saturn, 7 June 2023, NYC to Iceland.  I think this is the second Saturn's second cruise.  Is there any info out there on her building progress?

Hi Coljack -

We do have a Roll Call already set up for the June 7 cruise on Saturn.   Hope you take a look and will look forward to meeting you all!

We’ve just booked on the Saturn for the July 5-19, 2023, Iceland & Norway’s Artic Explorer, Bergen to Reykjavik. We might come into Iceland about five days before embarking in Bergen, Norway, so we might just miss you, Kent, unless you stay over in Iceland. Keep the new ship in shape for us in July!

We werein Iceland for two weeks last year in June just before the Welcome Back cruises there. Flew home on June 29, our anniversary dinner in Saga Class, LOL. This year might be the same date but on the way over!

Edited by LindaS272

On 8/25/2022 at 10:13 AM, LindaS272 said:

We’ve just booked on the Saturn for the July 5-19, 2023, Iceland & Norway’s Artic Explorer, Bergen to Reykjavik. We might come into Iceland about five days before embarking in Bergen, Norway, so we might just miss you, Kent, unless you stay over in Iceland. Keep the new ship in shape for us in July!

We werein Iceland for two weeks last year in June just before the Welcome Back cruises there. Flew home on June 29, our anniversary dinner in Saga Class, LOL. This year might be the same date but on the way over!

We shall do, Linda!  Again, looks like we'll just miss you.  We'll likely leave for home from KEF June 27/28.   We're actually in Seattle into next week - was with Vashon friends Wed, Seattle hot day Thursday and today the temp really dropped!

So is Saga class worth it for our trip home?   Would be interested to hear what excursions you thought were worthwhile as well.

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We shall do, Linda!  Again, looks like we'll just miss you.  We'll likely leave for home from KEF June 27/28.   We're actually in Seattle into next week - was with Vashon friends Wed, Seattle hot day Thursday and today the temp really dropped!

So is Saga class worth it for our trip home?   Would be interested to hear what excursions you thought were worthwhile as well.

I’ll wave to you from Bainbridge! 🤗

We like Saga Class on Icelandair, although I note a few posters here have sniffed at it since it’s not a “true” business class. A bit more like a domestic first class. But Icelandair only has economy and Saga, and they don’t feed you in economy. Plus, it’s direct from here.

We were not on a Welcome Back cruise—rented a car, and went around on our own. Yours looks like a great cruise—hitting all the highlights in the country with many stops!

• 4 months later...

My husband and I are booked on the June 7th out of New York.  Just learned this is a new ship.  That's exciting.  We are doing back to back and heading all the way to Bergen, Norway.  Anyone doing the same.  We doing the extension, and also trying to book a day trip to Flam . 

5 hours ago, Astromaid said:

We are also on the June 7th cruise but only to Iceland and then will spend a few days there before leaving for home. We will spend a few days in New York City too, should be a great trip!

Hi Astromaid - we are also on the June 7th NYC-Iceland cruise on Saturn!

We will be in New York for several days with friends ahead of time and then also spending 3 days 2 nights in Reykjavik at the end before flying home.   Haven't really planned anything yet for that DIY post cruise.  Have you?   I see you found our roll call.  Hopefully we'll get more active as we get closer.  I'd like to organize a Meet & Mingle for the first sea day after we leave New York.  I just organized one with Viking's help and cooperation on a Panama Canal cruise and it was a lot of fun!

Kent

19 hours ago, dmjbnj said:

My husband and I are booked on the June 7th out of New York.  Just learned this is a new ship.  That's exciting.  We are doing back to back and heading all the way to Bergen, Norway.  Anyone doing the same.  We doing the extension, and also trying to book a day trip to Flam . 

Greetings!  You will enjoy Bergen and Norway!  And Flam!

We have a Roll Call for the June 7-21 leg of the Saturn to Iceland.  Take a look.

CCWineLover, yes I have done some planning. We are flying into New York on Saturday and staying near Times Square. We are going to use the hop on/hop off bus, it was a successful option in London last year. We plan on touring the Intepid, Empire State building, ferry to Statue of liberty, Central Park, and take the 9/11 walking tour. And maybe walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. I am trying to talk my husband into doing a broadway show. I have an idea of what we are doing in Reykjavik, but that is not as firm. I do have an apartment rented that includes a rental car (through VRBO) My planning slowed up as my mother is having issues and I have been spending a lot of time with her. It worries me a bit being a new ship that it will get delayed. Others more familiar with Viking don't feel it should be an issue. 

On 8/26/2022 at 5:07 PM, CCWineLover said:

25 minutes ago, beavergal said:

We did saga class home last year. Not plush but better than coach. Food was very good. They served a great small cracker like with drinks. Would love to know name/ brand. I have searched without success. 
beavergal 

We did go ahead and book Saga Class home (KEF-SEA-SFO).

How many hours ahead of flight time did you have to get to the airport?  I've heard it is really busy at KEF. ?

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

How many hours ahead of flight time did you have to get to the airport?  I've heard it is really busy at KEF. ?

We seemed to get there 3-4 hours early, sometimes necessary, sometimes not. The Saga Lounge can get crowded, but the food is good. If you find a good empty chair, grab it…it became SRO the last time we were there in the lounge. Nice Duty Free shop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Our KEF experience is pre-covid, so it may have changed. Check-in and security were not an issue, but the boarding area itself was a zoo. International flights all go out of the same area, and all appeared to require bussing out to the aircraft to board via stairs. That led to massive crowds in the departure area, very busy busses and it was hard to find the correct boarding area and Saga priority line.

That said, once we located the right area, the busses were efficient and quick. If it were me, I'd be planning for a 3-hour arrival lead time at KEF. The really good news is that if you are through check-in quickly, the Saga lounge is one of our favourites anywhere - unlimited smoked salmon and great food/drink. You'll think you're back on Viking.

I would leave the lounge for the departure area 1 hour prior - although you can check with the lounge folks for confirmation. 🍺🥌

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Our KEF experience is pre-covid, so it may have changed. Check-in and security were not an issue, but the boarding area itself was a zoo. International flights all go out of the same area, and all appeared to require bussing out to the aircraft to board via stairs. That led to massive crowds in the departure area, very busy busses and it was hard to find the correct boarding area and Saga priority line.

That said, once we located the right area, the busses were efficient and quick. If it were me, I'd be planning for a 3-hour arrival lead time at KEF. The really good news is that if you are through check-in quickly, the Saga lounge is one of our favourites anywhere - unlimited smoked salmon and great food/drink. You'll think you're back on Viking.

I would leave the lounge for the departure area 1 hour prior - although you can check with the lounge folks for confirmation. 🍺🥌

Thank you so much, CurlerRob, for your information!

6 hours ago, Seasons00 said:

Viking Saturn May 23, Reykjavik to NY.   Anyone else on this cruise?

To find other pax on your cruise please check out the Viking Ocean Roll Calls. Select Saturn and look to see if a roll call exists. If not, you can start one.

8 hours ago, Seasons00 said:

Viking Saturn May 23, Reykjavik to NY.   Anyone else on this cruise?

There is a Roll Call already started for your itinerary (May 23).  Please check there and introduce yourself.  (Note:  We are on the following itinerary and get on as you get off in NY)

• Like 1