Why do people still sunbathe?

Back to the original question. I also love to sunbathe, but I realize that it can be dangerous. I use SPF 30 or 45 sunblock. My understading is that sunblock does not guarantee safety. I think the problem is the destruction of the ozone layer which used to protect us from "bad" sun rays. People with very light skin who burn easily are really rolling the dice. I am particularly upset when I see peopel with infants and small children in the sun, particularly the tropical sun on a cruise.

I totally agree with what you are saying about the babies! Living in Orlando, we always see people with babies at the theme parks, and even if the babies have on sunscreen, you just know their skin is probably more sensitive to the sun, and that the parents should take extra precautions.

Another interesting thing we notice a lot is very sunburned British people. (Their accents give them away.) I mean REALLY red. For some reason, they either burn more easily, or it is much more noticeable on them. Probably some of both...I guess they stay pretty pale because they live so far north. I feel so bad for them because I know how much it's going to hurt!:eek:

so kids can't even go outside and play in the sun anymore??? My kids spend all summer at the pool with huge benefits to them...great exercise, fun, coordination, strength, cardio, etc. And, when it is bedtime, they pass out! I always apply a waterproof spf 45 to them before we even leave home, and once an hour or so while swimming. You shouldn't just assume cause you see kids in the sun that they have neglectful parents, everyone I know puts sunscreen on their kids liberally!!

Life is about choice...we all make good choices and bad. The United States is a "now" society and a "me" society. We are very used to instant gratification...cancer is very slow growing and never is an instant result of anything. It is also not a sure thing, that if an individual sits out in the sun for long periods of time...because some people do not get cancer and have sat in the sun all their lives. That being said perhaps it is now more understandable why we do things that we know are not good for us.

Life is about choice...we all make good choices and bad. The United States is a "now" society and a "me" society. We are very used to instant gratification...cancer is very slow growing and never is an instant result of anything. It is also not a sure thing, that if an individual sits out in the sun for long periods of time...because some people do not get cancer and have sat in the sun all their lives. That being said perhaps it is now more understandable why we do things that we know are not good for us.

Well said, Rev.

Four pending cruises? I'm jealous!

...We are very used to instant gratification...cancer is very slow growing and never is an instant result of anything. It is also not a sure thing, that if an individual sits out in the sun for long periods of time...because some people do not get cancer and have sat in the sun all their lives. ..

However, risk is a sure thing. Expose yourself to harmful UV rays and your risk will go up.

I appreciate where you are coming from,but don't think that applies here.

People have been sunbathing for years...Sunworshiping is a centuries old ritual.My grandparents have many pictures of trips to the beach and the lake...most of my family grew up on the lake or the beach...And sunscreen has only been around (as we know it today) for about 30 years.

I do agree that most of us take for granted the God given good skin we have,and worry about repricussions later...But I don't think it necassarily makes someone who sunbathes a selffish me now person

Also,many other cultures other than the good ole USA perform this ritual as well.

Is there any proof that exposure to the sun causes cancer? The only people I know that have gotten skin cancer are not sun bathers. I think it is more about genetics.

Yes there is, in study after study, especially in places where they could track change of clothing styles and sun exposure to cancer like Austrailia.

My step mother is a life long sunbather and she has had it several times. While there may be a genetic factor involved sun exposure is a large factor.

Is there any proof that exposure to the sun causes cancer? The only people I know that have gotten skin cancer are not sun bathers. I think it is more about genetics.

The highest incidence of skin cancer (according to my Oz SO) is in Australia. In Australia, the majority of the people live near the coast.

I don't think the OP was picking on any one person or group, just curious. I detected no malice just curiosity.

Thank you Nliedel. I wasn't picking on anybody, as you said. I was just asking a question, to which I have received several answers.

I think genetics has so much to do with it. In my husband's family almost everyone has had multiple skin cancers. Everyone should be cautious but those with a family history should be even more careful.

so kids can't even go outside and play in the sun anymore??? My kids spend all summer at the pool with huge benefits to them...great exercise, fun, coordination, strength, cardio, etc. And, when it is bedtime, they pass out! I always apply a waterproof spf 45 to them before we even leave home, and once an hour or so while swimming. You shouldn't just assume cause you see kids in the sun that they have neglectful parents, everyone I know puts sunscreen on their kids liberally!!

so nice to hear about kids and families playing outside and going to the pool as I used to love to do. kids that stay inside and play video games all day may not get skin cancer but they'll have a host of other social and medical problems.

Sunlight can reduce a man's risk of prostate cancer, a study suggests.

Researchers from three US centres found men exposed to a high amount of sun had half the risk of the disease than those exposed to a low amount.

So much for spending thousands of dollars on studies. My husband spent his life working out in the Florida sun every day laying blocks. He got prostate cancer in addition to skin cancers which he has removed every few months, one of which was melanoma. All those years in the sun, he never put any sunblock on and now he is paying for it.

My skin is completely different than his. I would get a deep tan every summer and never burned. I rarely put sunblock on. I no longer lay out in the sun, but have never had any skin cancers.

I find it hard to believe how many peopel can justify the advantages of being in the sun versus the risk of skin cancer. The following info was copied from the American Cancer Society web site. I can't wait to see how they explain this away. Note that sunscreen does not eliminate risk, it only reduces it slightly. Note the increased risk for children.

Can Melanoma Skin Cancer Be Prevented?

The best way to lower the risk of melanoma is to avoid too much exposure to the sun and other sources of UV light. The ideas below can help you prevent skin cancer:

Avoid being outdoors in sunlight too long, especially in the middle of the day when UV light is most intense.

Protect your skin with clothing, including a shirt with long sleeves and a hat with a broad brim.

Use sunscreen and lip balm. They should have an SPF factor of 15 or more. Apply the sunscreen correctly. Many people do not use enough – a palmful is best. Put it on about 20 to 30 minutes before you go outside so your skin can absorb it. And you should put it on again every two hours. Use it even on hazy days or days with light or broken cloud cover. Don’t stay out in the sun longer just because you’re using sunscreen as that defeats the purpose.

Wear sunglasses. Wrap-around sunglasses with at least 99% UV absorption give the best protection.

Avoid other sources of UV light such as tanning beds and sun lamps.

Be especially careful about sun protection for children. Teach your children to protect themselves from the sun as they get older. People who suffer severe, blistering sunburns, particularly in childhood or teenage years, are at increased risk of melanoma.

I find it hard to believe how many peopel can justify the advantages of being in the sun versus the risk of skin cancer. The following info was copied from the American Cancer Society web site. I can't wait to see how they explain this away. Note that sunscreen does not eliminate risk, it only reduces it slightly. Note the increased risk for children.

please, post the link to where the American Cancer Society indicates that appropriate use of sunscreen only "slightly" reduces risk. that's news to me.

OK, I know this might get me in trouble, but I'm going to ask anyway. With all the warnings about the evils of skin cancer, why do so many people still like to lie out in the sun? I know this isn't unique to cruises, but I figured that a lot of people that read this forum probably like to do this. When I or my family spend significant time in the sun, we always put on sunscreen. We never just go lay in the sun. I'm not trying to start an argument...I'm just trying to understand. Please be kind.:o

We love to look good! no tan you look sickly, good tan you look good and healthy. I spend hrs and hrs a month in indoor tanning booths and all summer and any chance I get soaking up the sun. It feels good to look good. Not only do I not use sunscreen but I use oils and lotions to attract the sun and bake me.

please, post the link to where the American Cancer Society indicates that appropriate use of sunscreen only "slightly" reduces risk. that's news to me.

It's right in my original post. "Don't stay in the sun longer because you're using sunscreen since it defeats the purpose."

I can only speak to Canadian numbers but here we go. Number of skin cancer diagnosis per year, approx. 72,00 of which 80% will be basal cell carcinoma, 15% squamas (sp?) cell carcinoma and 5% malignant melanoma. Of the 3, malignant melanoma is fatal, about 20%-30% will die. Virtually none of the basal cell carcinoma victims will die and very,very few of the squamas cell carcinoma victims will die. If you are diagnosed with malignant melanoma you will have a 10% chance of it returning, whether you are in the sun or not. Why?...because the sun is NOT the sole cause of malignant melanoma, or any other cancer for that matter. The sun is probably the strongest cause for the mildest form of skin cancer-basal cell carcinoma.

If you have melanoma they will "dig" it out of you, and I mean dig. They have to take a certain amount of "marginal" skin to check and/or retard the spread. This is better than the old days when, if it was on your arm for example, they would take the whole arm.

How do I know this...I am a malignant melanoma survivor. I love the sun, it is good for you. It provides our bodies with the vital, and I mean vital, vitamin D we truly need. Did the sun cause my melanoma...the consensus answer is NO. It is on a part of my body that rarely saw the sun. Once I was diagnosed my family had to get checked, one of my sisters had it as well. In our case it would seem to be genetic.

Treat the sun wisely, don't shut yourself away from it but don't abuse it either. :)

OK, I know this might get me in trouble, but I'm going to ask anyway. With all the warnings about the evils of skin cancer, why do so many people still like to lie out in the sun? I know this isn't unique to cruises, but I figured that a lot of people that read this forum probably like to do this. When I or my family spend significant time in the sun, we always put on sunscreen. We never just go lay in the sun. I'm not trying to start an argument...I'm just trying to understand. Please be kind.:o

This question can be asked of a lot of things in life. Why do people do ___ knowing the dangers of ___?

The answer seems to be, those poeple don't think it will happen to them.

We love to look good! no tan you look sickly, good tan you look good and healthy. I spend hrs and hrs a month in indoor tanning booths and all summer and any chance I get soaking up the sun. It feels good to look good. Not only do I not use sunscreen but I use oils and lotions to attract the sun and bake me.

OK, if you are serious (which I'm not sure), then don't you worry about how this could affect you later in life?

To the OP - I must agree with everyone - when you live in a climate that is cold for a good part of the year, the sun's warmth feels glorious!:D

That being said, I WISH I could lie out in the sun.... my personality is one that after about 15 minutes (which feels like an hour to me!) I've gotta get up and get going somewhere! Places to go, people to meet etc. I usually get roasted @ least once a year (think any fair european race and they're all rolled up in me!) with or without sunscreen, but I do try to remember it. I actually use an 8SPF and don't burn that often. I think it's because using an 8 I remind myself to reapply more frequently. When using a 15 or higher I don't remember to reapply. It's that simple for me.:)

I am up to about 45 spf now, but like you I am totally bored afer 15 minutes. If I want a nap, the bed to me is more comfortable and no chance of geting burned. I can fell just as warm doing things or sitting playing cards in the shade and then I do get as much sun without direct exposure. I have a friend who does nothing all summer but lie by her pool ( she is a school teacher). On cruises she only leaves her chair to eat drink or potty, and she is the same skin color all year long.... it never fades.......BUT her skin also looks like leather. So I may be pale, but I am healthy and do not look like an old hag.

I am up to about 45 spf now, but like you I am totally bored afer 15 minutes. If I want a nap, the bed to me is more comfortable and no chance of geting burned. I can fell just as warm doing things or sitting playing cards in the shade and then I do get as much sun without direct exposure. I have a friend who does nothing all summer but lie by her pool ( she is a school teacher). On cruises she only leaves her chair to eat drink or potty, and she is the same skin color all year long.... it never fades.......BUT her skin also looks like leather. So I may be pale, but I am healthy and do not look like an old hag.

I'm the same way about getting bored (and about avoiding the sun!). I don't like to sit still for too long, especially on a cruise. I always feel like I'm missing something!

I am of sicilian ancestry -I have NO moles on my skin, not a single one. According to a dermatologist I know as a friend, my risk of skin cancer is so low as to be close to the random level from just normal sun exposure - he'd never tell his patients that but the facts are facts.

there are times whe I do not use sunscreen - I do not burn at all. I have not gotten a sunburn since I was 8 when I was outside all day from 9a-6p at a beach with my grandfather - I remember the fight between my mom and my grandfather to this day!

I get real dark, real fast, and then fade just as fast . .

Quite jealous...I am of Sicilian ancestry, as well, and cannot tan to save my life! I think that must be the Irish and French-Canadian ancestry in me, as well. :rolleyes:

Archived