Do I really have to take a cruise on Carnival???

I have been on 3 Royal Caribbean cruises & will be taking my 4th Royal Caribbean cruise on the May 8th sailing of the Monarch.

Some of my friends tell me that i should take a cruise on Carnival to see the difference between cruise lines...but I say "why? royal caribbean gives me all that i want on a cruise". I'm also trying to move up the Crown & Anchor ladder in hopes of one day being a Diamond member :D

What are your thoughts?

Your story sounds like mine! I love to cruise & I love RCCL! I, too am trying to climb the C & A ladder. Part of me want to go on another line for the experience but the little extra perks keep me loyal to RCCL. If I ever get the chance to cruise really cheap on one of the other lines I might but I doubt it will ever be cheap enough for me to switch. My heart belongs to Royal Caribbean!

I posted a review this week of the 2/19 Mariner cruise. We have cruised Carnival 3 times, Princess 1 time and our first RCCL cruise was the Mariner last week. There is no going back for us! We loved our Carnival cruises and had great cruises, but the differences between the lines are not comparable. The little things on RCCL vs Carnival and Princess are impressive. The service is light years above those lines. The food on RCCL is incredible and the ships themselves are unvelievable. We were so impressed with RCCL that we booked the Mariner next year at the same time (the kids are on winter break). We discussed going on Carnival again because it would have saved us about $1000 total for the difference in fair for the 2 cabins but for us, that $1000 is money well spent. After our experience on the Mariner, I would have been disappointed with our Carnival and Princess cruises if I had done them after the Mariner. Don't get me wrong, our Carnival/Princess cruises were great, but you can't compare the ship, service, food, activities and friendly helpful staff on RCCL to Carnival/Princess. Like apples and oranges.

I used to avoid Carnival like the plague; sailed with CCL years ago, and felt Royal Caribbean had better ships. better service and better past guest amenities. Only after I went with a group on a Carnival cruise did my impression of Carnival change. No, I still prefer Royal Caribbean - my favorite are Voyager class ships. But Carnival's newest ships, their improved food quality and ship amenities are now things I consider when booking a cruise (something I would not done a few years ago).

Carnival is a more casual cruise experience, and I have found (compared to Voyager class ships) they lack the kind of activities I look for on days at sea. But their cabin amenities (with new bedding and quality toiletries) and size as well as the improved food quality in the formal dining room can't be bettered by Royal Caribbean.

And with the introduction of their new past guest program,I may have to think twice about excluding them from consideration.

I know a lot of people who would never consider cruising with Carnival. Carnival is not for everyone - they cater to large groups (more so than Royal Caribbean from what I can see) and offer a more laid back/casual cruise. I used to think they attracted a younger, more party oriented crowd - not so. Just a tad more casual.

Sailfish...I wasn't aware of a new past guest program, how is it different?

Here is some input about it - it's poised to compete with Royal Caribbean's, though I doubt they will offer a Concierge Lounge! Priority embarkation and debarkation and free laundry service sounds good, though.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=305401

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=289799&highlight=concierge+club

Well...

I've cruised twice on Carnival...and, to be honest, I had two very good cruises with them...

Every cruise line has areas where they do a little better and a little worse...and a lot depends on the ship, the itinerary and other factors...

But, there is no such thing, at least in my experience so far, as a BAD cruise...

I've cruised Carnival, Norwegian, the now-defunct Premier (the forerunner to Disney), Princess, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity...and will soon try Oceania for the first time...

I am actually a Diamond C& A member (something I just discovered--thought I was still a Platinum, but my TA told me I'm Diamond and the website says I'm Diamond, so I guess I'm Diamond!)...So, obviously, I like RCCL...

BUT...I am also an Elite Captains Club member on Celebrity...

AND I can tell you with absolute certainty that, whatever the perks and service levels you perceive on Royal Caribbean, they don't even come close to the service on Celebrity...

So, if you REALLY want to test "the difference between cruise lines", don't book a Carnival so as to set yourself up for disappointment...I say book yourself a cruise on one of the Celebrity M-Class ships (Millennium, Summit, Infinity, Constellation)...

We are Diamond C&A members who tried the Carnival Liberty in January, just because I booked a balcony cabin for $629/person last July. Was not expecting much - I guess that's why I was totally thrilled with the experience! The only thing we did not enjoy was the decor and the level of ship movement, which I don't think was the weather. The rest was just as enjoyable as can be - food, shows, etc. entirely comparable. Going on the Jewel in April, but I would take that Carnival cruise again in a minute if a sale like that came along. I'd say, don't be afraid to try them:D .

My DH and I are going on our first cruise ever this December. I have already booked Voyager of the Seas but I has contemplating a switch to Carnival because it would be cheaper. These boards have convinced me that RCCL is absolutely the way to go!!! I am so happy that I found these boards. They are a godsend!! Thanks, everybody!!!

Personally, I think it's good to try different lines. All have something unique to offer. Though you may come to prefer one over the other, it's not bad to check out what the competition has to offer.

Cruises are not the only type of vacation we enjoy - we do family resort trips and adventure travel like dive vacations. We also like to get away - just the two of us. A lot depends on with whom we plan to travel. I know a lot of people here are very loyal to one cruise line - that's fine.

I personally prefer variety.

My first few cruises were with Princess. They had the itinerary I liked and why look at another cruise line when you are happy with what you have. I tried RCI and liked it alot. Then my sister went on a Norwegian cruise and she said it was better than Princess. So I tried Norwegian and have now been on 2. I now know that I have a choice of 3 cruise lines I am happy with. I just recently booked an Alaskan cruise on HAL. We will just see if I like that. I was on one for only 3 days a few years ago. I will try them again to see if I can add them as a 4th option.

One thing to keep in mind about past guest programs is the best benefits are extended to people who have quite a few cruises.

In my opinion, Royal Caribbean stands alone as having the best program for people with only a few cruises. All the others offer nice perks for 10 cruises or more, but nothing much for loyal passengers with 5 or less cruises!

I'd give Carnival a shot if I were you. I've sailed on Carnival 9 times and RCCL 3 (with #4 coming up).

Each has it's advantage. Carnival has better nightlife (the shows are better as are the dance clubs), and I also like Carnival's food better (more in terms of quality).

RCCL has facilities that no Carnival ship can compare to. The activities available on a sea day, for instance, are of no comparison.

I'm fairly torn on the issue... I like the Carnival experience a lot, perhaps more than the RCCL experience, but I like the RCCL ships and facilities better. The answer? I'll sail both! Looking forward to the Brilliance in Europe in June.

I was one that took two Carnival cruises (and had a great time) before I took my first RCI trip and was told to expect a bump up in service/quality/food/etc. That proved to be true and I prefer RCI over Carnival, however, I will probably take another trip at some point in the future because I like variety. I'm also looking to go on other cruise lines just to get the experience. You don't know what you don't know!

This is AMERICA! You don't have to do anything you don't want to! Stay with RCCL!!!! Why would you give up a good thing, just to try something which is nowhere near as good? Join the club--Be a Royal Caribbean snob!!!!

dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we just took our first ccl cruise and last. We were on the pride and were debating at port in cabo about going to the ship and getting our stuff and staying there for a week so our vacation was not a total loss because the cruise was just that a very expensive loss. CCL can not and will not ever compare to RCCL. By the way Cabo is great and if your considering a land vacation cabo would be great.We will be on the brillance in 2 weeks and cant wait to make up for our horrible cruise last month.dont do it!!

If you like RCI and have been happy with it, why go to another line where you might not be happy? There are some other lines that I'd like to try someday but they're the "higher end" lines that we just can't afford right now. I wouldn't be too excited about trying out a line that many people consider inferior.

Having said that, I've cruised twice with Carnival and had a great time. I prefer RCI but my Carnival experiences certainly weren't bad, by any means.

I'm just curious, but why do so many Royal Caribbean people dislike Carnival? I noticed on my last cruise with Royal Caribbean the staff and cruise director really "knocking" Carnival. I didn't see the reverse on my last Carnival cruise.

The truth is, both Royal Caribbean and Carnival are more similar than different; Carnival is a tad more casual. Both had pros and cons.

I'm just curious, but why do so many Royal Caribbean people dislike Carnival? I noticed on my last cruise with Royal Caribbean the staff and cruise director really "knocking" Carnival. I didn't see the reverse on my last Carnival cruise.

The truth is, both Royal Caribbean and Carnival are more similar than different; Carnival is a tad more casual. Both had pros and cons.

Which is precisely why they dislike each other. They are quite similar and are probably each other's biggest competition. A lot of people who have cruised on one have probably also cruised on the other and have their preferences. It would just be silly to get into a discussion about comparing, for example, Radisson Seven Seas and Carnival.

I think that the reason it's a bit one-sided is that RCI has tried in recent years to start catering to a younger crowd and has become more similar to Carnival. As a result RCI tends to try and keep it's image as a "better" cruiseline than Carnival. One way to do that is to knock the competition.

Personally, I think that RCI is a better cruiseline anyway and that they really don't need to prove it by knocking Carnival.

I have done two Carnival cruises and loved both of them. I am a loyal RCCL fan now but if there was a place I wanted to see and Carnival had a ship going there and RCCL did not, Carnival would get my cruise.

Archived