Anyone recently traveled from states to Canada on cruise ship ?

bobolz

Just curious if anyone has taken a cruise starting in the states to Canada? My friend traveled via car and told me they have random testing of travelers at the border. Her mother was selected, essentially given a test to mail back to authorities. It seemed ridiculous since by the time she would get the results back she would have been leaving Canada. Since we are entering via cruise ship and our cruise is currently requesting the test 48 hours before embarking And we would not be arriving to Canada until 4 days after cruise embarkation , has anyone been asked to take another test (if selected) once we disembark in first Canadian port? Did you show your Arrivecan QRcode to authorities when you left the ship, or did they collect that information from you while on board ( I.e cruise line collected your documents and provided to the authorities on board? I just wanted to know what your recent experience had been.

thanks in advance 

27 minutes ago, bobolz said:

Just curious if anyone has taken a cruise starting in the states to Canada? My friend traveled via car and told me they have random testing of travelers at the border. Her mother was selected, essentially given a test to mail back to authorities. It seemed ridiculous since by the time she would get the results back she would have been leaving Canada. Since we are entering via cruise ship and our cruise is currently requesting the test 48 hours before embarking And we would not be arriving to Canada until 4 days after cruise embarkation , has anyone been asked to take another test (if selected) once we disembark in first Canadian port? Did you show your Arrivecan QRcode to authorities when you left the ship, or did they collect that information from you while on board ( I.e cruise line collected your documents and provided to the authorities on board? I just wanted to know what your recent experience had been.

thanks in advance 

Nothing to worry about. Have a read of this page:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#pre-embarkation-test

Note that it explicitly states:

Shore excursions in Canada during the cruise

there is no arrival testing for passengers entering Canada for shore excursions

you may be asked to show your ArriveCAN receipt from your initial embarkation

you won’t have to resubmit ArriveCAN

if you aren’t fully vaccinated due to medical reasons, you’re allowed to join a shore excursion. You must have proof of a valid medical contraindication and a valid ArriveCAN submission.

if you aren’t fully vaccinated due to a sincerely-held religious belief, you aren’t allowed to disembark the ship in Canada except in a medical emergency.

Thanks lx. Now I know I can at least take the antigen test anytime within that 2 days prior. Unfortunately it doesn’t make me happy hearing the 10 day isolation if you test positive during the cruise. Let’s cross our fingers that we don’t get symptoms that would generate the need for a test. It also appears that we may have difficulty flying home from Canada per the link you sent,  which we should not have to deal with when flying back to the states(US does not require a test to come back) , so let’s hope we don’t run into any issues. I thought Canada had lifted these tougher restrictions before US did. 

thanks Rover, so they never requested a proof of negative test even though the Canadian govt website says you need to have a negative test either 48 hours (antigen) or 72 hours (PCR) before boarding the ship per the govt link.  Our cruise line is finally removing the testing requirements for boarding, except for certain countries , and Canada was one of them . Guess we will wait and see….and hope. 

I just returned from a cruise on the Caribbean Princess that went to three Canadian ports: Halifax, Sydney, and St. John's. We went to two ports in Greenland between Sydney and St. John's. All we had to do was provide our proof of a negative Covid test and fill out the info on ArriveCAN. I know there were several passengers with Covid by the time we got to St. John's. Some passengers were even speculating that Canadian authorities would not allow us to dock there. But we did.