North American residents ONLY

drsel

What will happen if a US travel agent books a Holland America or Princess cruise for a non North American resident?

Will the passengers be denied boarding?

OR

Will the passengers be allowed boarding & the agent get penalized ?

I do get the question and we do know a frequent HAL cruiser (from Australia) who has long booked his cruises through a North American agency.  The problem would be that you may need an address (our friend uses a legit address that belongs to a Canadian friend) for booking purposes.  Once you have a cruise reservation/ticket and show up at embarkation with a valid Passport it is hard to imagine any problem.

Hank

• Thanks 1

I'm a 'non North American resident' and I sailed on Koningsdam in March this year, booked through a US travel agent.  I've booked several cruises through the same agent and never had an issue, although this was the first on HAL.  The only address I provided was my own UK address, which is also the one shown on my HAL account online.  At embarkation it was pretty obvious this is where I live because of the NHS Covid Pass I provided as proof of vaccination.  (Also my required covid test was taken at Heathrow, and if I remember rightly I'd provided flight details during online check-in.)  The agent didn't question anything at all.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

About US cruise agents booking non North American passengers, I read that this restriction is no longer in place.

Do you know when this restriction was lifted?

On 8/30/2022 at 12:57 PM, Tigrou said:

I'm a 'non North American resident' and I sailed on Koningsdam in March this year, booked through a US travel agent.  I've booked several cruises through the same agent and never had an issue, although this was the first on HAL.  The only address I provided was my own UK address, which is also the one shown on my HAL account online.  At embarkation it was pretty obvious this is where I live because of the NHS Covid Pass I provided as proof of vaccination.  (Also my required covid test was taken at Heathrow, and if I remember rightly I'd provided flight details during online check-in.)  The agent didn't question anything at all.

About US cruise agents booking non North American passengers, I read that this restriction is no longer in place.

Do you know when this restriction was lifted

I moved from the US to Australia in 2022 and have booked two HAL cruises with a US travel agent using my Australian address.  I never had problems with boarding.  If there was a restriction in the past, it hasn't been in place since at least 2022.

• Thanks 1

I was told by a Future cruise consultant on board HAL in 2022 that the only consideration to think about is that you wouldn’t be covered by any consumer laws of your home country if you buy it from another country. Like if that agency goes broke etc. That’s all, no restrictions as such.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, luv2cruisenz said:

18 hours ago, sciencewonk said:

I moved from the US to Australia in 2022 and have booked two HAL cruises with a US travel agent using my Australian address.  I never had problems with boarding.  If there was a restriction in the past, it hasn't been in place since at least 2022.

17 hours ago, luv2cruisenz said:

I was told by a Future cruise consultant on board HAL in 2022 that the only consideration to think about is that you wouldn’t be covered by any consumer laws of your home country if you buy it from another country. Like if that agency goes broke etc. That’s all, no restrictions as such.

Thanks! Nice to know no restrictions since 2022.

Also I don't mind not being covered by consumer protection