Tipping

Set2Sail

Ok, I know that one of the benefits of SS is that everything is included. DH and I will be taking first cruise April 13th, but want to know if we should tip cabin staff upfront for better service as we have done on Celebrity and Royal C????

Thanks,

Jen

No!!!! You don't need to tip to get great service. One of the attractions of SS is the no-tipping policy. Don't spoil it for other passengers by tipping for performing the job they are supposed to do. At the end you can contribute to the crew fund if you are so inclined.

Myself I will do what I did on Radisson with the tips included. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes from my call for my ~ 5:30am pot of coffee:D and they got a $2 tip. As for my room stewardess and helper, I gave them a thank you card with $$ in it for lunch on one day I knew they were going ashore.

No!!!! You don't need to tip to get great service. One of the attractions of SS is the no-tipping policy. Don't spoil it for other passengers by tipping for performing the job they are supposed to do. At the end you can contribute to the crew fund if you are so inclined.

I agree wholeheartedly!

This is a topic that comes up again and again. In my experience and from what others have said, some passengers insist on tipping, some staff refuse tips and you are unlikely to get better service by tipping. Similarly, we have seen some passengers be downright rude to staff, whilst others go out of their way to be nice: staff seem to like the latter more, which is hardly surprising. (There's nothing wrong with asking for what you want, and some staff enjoy a challenge!)

We would tip if a staff member had to go out of their way to meet our needs -- for example, if one of us was ill and needed lots of extra effort from the cabin staff.

BTW, I understand that SS operates a "crew fund" that is used to pay for parties and the like. It's a way of reaching all the crew, even the hidden half working in kitchens and engine rooms that you never meet. The reception desk can accept a gift to the crew fund and several crew have told us that this is much appreciated.

BTW, I understand that SS operates a "crew fund" that is used to pay for parties and the like. It's a way of reaching all the crew, even the hidden half working in kitchens and engine rooms that you never meet. The reception desk can accept a gift to the crew fund and several crew have told us that this is much appreciated.

This is what we have done on every Silversea cruise. It is much appreciated by everyone and is the best way to say "thank you for the lovely service" to ALL the folks who work so hard to provide you with a memorable cruising experience, most of whom you never will meet.

We use $20/day for figuring out how much to leave, but I'm sure any amount will be appreciated. In my opinion, tipping individuals may possibly improve your service, but it is most likely to the detriment of the other passengers who take Silversea for their word that all gratuities are included in the cost of the tickets and do not tip.

The advice about being nice to the waitstaff first and foremost hits the nail precisely on the head. It certainly makes their time aboard ship more enjoyable, and isn't that what money is all about? - in the end, to make one's life more enjoyable. Money isn't the only way to accomplish this. One other thing we did was to always reserve some of our wine that we brought onboard for evening meals for our waiter, sommelier, head sommelier, and Maitre'D to taste. I am inclined to think that this was one of the reasons they went out of their way to provide great service.

I too am a big believer in donating to the crew welfare fund in order to benefit the entire crew. SS means it when they say gratuities are included and you will not get better service for slipping your stewardess or waiter a tip. I understand the mentality when one comes to SS or SB for the first time after cruising with other lines but you're not going to ask for a check for drinks on SS either just because they gave you one there. Drinks are included just like the gratuities.

Being from a culture that does not encourage tips (at least not fully yet).we are generally awkward with tipping so chose SS because among other reasons we didn't need to worry about this factor.

We will most likely donate to the crew fund (there are many cogs in a wheel to make it work efficiently).

No service staff (or any other person for that matter) should be treated in a manner which you would not like and over the years we have found that to be the key to good service (especially where tipping is not expected.....in fact in some cases it is viewed as an insult!)

Myself I will do what I did on Radisson with the tips included. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes from my call for my ~ 5:30am pot of coffee:D and they got a $2 tip. As for my room stewardess and helper, I gave them a thank you card with $$ in it for lunch on one day I knew they were going ashore.

My morning coffee comes within 5-10 minutes even though I never tipped room service waiters. I haven't tipped any individual on Silversea, because I haven't required any 'beyond the call of duty' service yet, but I've gotten unformly friendly good service. At the end of a long back-to-back cruise, I have sought out my favorite crew members such as an exceptional deck hand, waiters and wine waitress, and thanked them for making the trip enjoyable and special. They really appreciated to know their work made a difference to a passenger. Sometimes a heart-felt thank you means more than money.

The OP asks a straightforward question. Veteran SS customers give a uniform response. The crew fund is the acceptable way of contributing cash. Tipping individuals is quite improper.

I remember discussing this topic on my second SS cruise after having a few drinks in the Bar with a couple favorite crew members. Alternative would be to specify a particular department to share the proceeds of your gift.

I kind of remember that on one of those TV programs a couple of years ago, they said that Silversea crew got US$3,000 to US$7,000 per month, depending on rank and the type of work. Is that correct?

are paid more per hour, or by salary, than other lines, since the tip is included for the guests. Anybody know?

And if they are paid more, then I have no guilt skipping the tip.

Yes. I was told their salary is higher to compensate for the lack of tip, in other words their salary already includes tip, though I don't know exactly how much they make. I understand that the jobs on Silversea is very desirable because pays are higher and there are more crew per passenger to do the same job. They sure manage to attract good workers, and keep them.

We often leave a gift for the stewardess (e.g.,perfume) as well as contribute to the crew fund. But we never give cash tips to the staff. And we always get great service (albeit not quite as good as on Seabourn.)

Geez, I won't even let my husband buy me perfume, but you get it for a perfect stranger??

As sweet as a gift of perfume is, I have to agree with Hoyaheel. My husband doesn't buy me perfume either. Maybe a scarf would be better??

Despite the strength of peoples' feelings - no one is right - and no one is wrong - we all just approach the issue differently. The no tipping policy is a great comfort to those who do not wish to tip.

I personally only tip the stewardess and her helper - but only if it was exceptional - which it has so far been 75% of our time. If it's less than excellent then "no tip£". On one trip I bought the stewardess an Ipod because she transformed our trip and befriended us. Otherwise I leave cash.

Each to their own comfort level.

Jeff

Never fear, ladies. The stewardess can RETURN the perfume to the gift shop and pick out anything she wants!

On Seabourn, we once bought a bracelet for a stewardess that we liked a lot (we had some friends next door who chipped in). It was really a beautiful Swarovski charm bracelet, very delicate. UNFORTUNATELY, we dumbells never noticed that our stewardess was, er, rather a large boned person and the bracelet could no more fit around her wrist than her thigh. Totally oblivious to her dimensions, I'm saying, "Oh, Olga, try it on!" In any case, I'm confident she picked out something a bit more suitable herself. But I'm sure she appreciated the gesture.:rolleyes:

If you feel you got an exceptional service, be sure to mention their names on the review form you'll be asked to fill out. I understand good notices stay in their files, and gives them better chance for promotion, a better wait station, more negotiating power for their next contract, etc. I was told it means more for them than a little money today.

Archived