Transpacific Brisbane to Seattle April 13, 2023

Mamacat6

5 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

How do you pack for this?? LOL

I'm plat, so we'll get the few free bags of laundry, but they're small. 

You plan to hand wash? 

Do you pack to get halfway, wash the most important and then start recycling?

On this cruise with the restrictions on domestic luggage/carry on on my economy flight, I will be travelling light and washing my shirts in the sink to dry on the "clothesline" in the shower. I pack 8 days of shirts/underwear/socks plus a dress shirt for if I book specialty restaurants. 2 pairs of shorts should keep me going in this tropical paradise. The last two times I didn't wear socks very often but I always wished I had more clean shirts. In many of the island ports you can get cool hawaiian shirts for $10 that are handmade and don't have labels. I supplement with those.

I'll wear a light jacket on the plane and hope I don't freeze when we get to seattle. Sneakers, sandals and water shoes... I've done this itinerary in reverse before twice. Life is good! The only time you will be cold is if the AC in your stateroom gets stuck on. If you get free laundry you are in better shape than me! Hope this helps.

On 3/22/2023 at 11:45 AM, EngIceDave said:

Link?

I'm not allowed to post the link here but the name of the group is "OFFICIAL Carnival Luminosa Transpacific April 13. 2023" they have added several events and have a post listing what there is so far. First event:

Boarding Day Meet & Greet

Thursday, April 13, 2023

3:00 pm SHIP's TIME

Red Frog Rum Bar

Lido Deck 9

Before the Ship's Sail Away Party at 4:00 pm same deck

Let's Meet Fellow Group Cruisers! 

Wear Mardi Gras type beads any color, any style and get a raffle ticket to win a prize. 

You wear your beads and I'll bring name tags, raffle tickets, a prize, and a break the ice game, and pens. 

PLEASE BRING anything from your hometown for us to raffle off as prizes!! Shot glasses, chocolates, hats, t-shirts, anything with your state or country on it, etc.

EXTRA EVENT: Donate any amount at the Meet and Greet and we will donate it to St. Jude in the name of our Facebook Group at the ship's event "Dancing For St Jude".

All donations (cash only) will go into an envelope and the amounts will be written on the outside of the envelope. 

Join us when we make our group donation for Groove for St. Jude!!

Last year Halloween on Panorama, 196 of us wore beads throughout the cruise and our meet & greet party was a blast. We even raised $245 for St Jude! Let's beat that this cruise!

The coolest part was our Cruise Director called our donation out on the mic at the event and thanked the Facebook Group. It made it really special!

This is going to be really fun!! Can't wait to meet everyone!!

I just chatted with Tom who has horseback riding in Suva. It is a local run operation and it got really high ratings and reviews. I haven't got all the details yet but he said he could take up to 10 people so that would be eight more than Sean and I. Is anyone interested? It is with the Maui Horse Riding Adventures and they have a FB page.

Edited by Suz&Sean
To add some more info

6 minutes ago, Suz&Sean said:

I'm not allowed to post the link here but the name of the group is "OFFICIAL Carnival Luminosa Transpacific April 13. 2023" they have added several events and have a post listing what there is so far. First event:

Boarding Day Meet & Greet

Thursday, April 13, 2023

3:00 pm SHIP's TIME

Red Frog Rum Bar

Lido Deck 9

Before the Ship's Sail Away Party at 4:00 pm same deck

Let's Meet Fellow Group Cruisers! 

Wear Mardi Gras type beads any color, any style and get a raffle ticket to win a prize. 

You wear your beads and I'll bring name tags, raffle tickets, a prize, and a break the ice game, and pens. 

PLEASE BRING anything from your hometown for us to raffle off as prizes!! Shot glasses, chocolates, hats, t-shirts, anything with your state or country on it, etc.

EXTRA EVENT: Donate any amount at the Meet and Greet and we will donate it to St. Jude in the name of our Facebook Group at the ship's event "Dancing For St Jude".

All donations (cash only) will go into an envelope and the amounts will be written on the outside of the envelope. 

Join us when we make our group donation for Groove for St. Jude!!

Last year Halloween on Panorama, 196 of us wore beads throughout the cruise and our meet & greet party was a blast. We even raised $245 for St Jude! Let's beat that this cruise!

The coolest part was our Cruise Director called our donation out on the mic at the event and thanked the Facebook Group. It made it really special!

This is going to be really fun!! Can't wait to meet everyone!!

Sounds awesome. I can’t wait to meet everyone. I’ll certainly have to dig to find beads. I have leis.lol. Also, I know there were many wanting a meet and greet day 2 for cards, not sure how to set that up. Could some one DM on Facebook group at Catherine lee and let me know or send me a dm on here?

2 minutes ago, Cruisin Cathy AZ said:

Sounds awesome. I can’t wait to meet everyone. I’ll certainly have to dig to find beads. I have leis.lol. Also, I know there were many wanting a meet and greet day 2 for cards, not sure how to set that up. Could some one DM on Facebook group at Catherine lee and let me know or send me a dm on here?

Do you have FB? You can search for the group name and join the group and there will be a ton of events for cards, slot pulls, etc.

3 minutes ago, Cruisin Cathy AZ said:

Yes I am on the Facebook group already thank you 

The click on the events tab at the top for all the events. I think there is a new post there too that has them all listed and links to them.

2 minutes ago, Goofytoo1 said:

I am on the telephone with Carnival right now.  Not getting answers. Do we need one?

Yes!  See post : 278 above.......a quick procedure if you can get the fiiddly camera scan bit to work......

this is my first time on Carnival, how strict is the dress code on "Elegant" nights? Is a jacket required for men or will a nice dress shirt and slacks do?

Holland as relaxed the code for dressy nights and jackets or ties are no longer required.

Thanks, 

Paul

17 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

this is my first time on Carnival, how strict is the dress code on "Elegant" nights? Is a jacket required for men or will a nice dress shirt and slacks do?

Holland as relaxed the code for dressy nights and jackets or ties are no longer required.

Thanks, 

Paul

Completely up to you how formal you want to be. Dress shirt and slacks or nice jeans are fine. I have seen hawaiian shirts and jeans in the dining room. I have seen shorts and a T shirt and sandals turned away from the dining room. 

On 3/21/2023 at 9:39 AM, Suz&Sean said:

We are a bit nervous too. We've been on longish cruises, but the logistics of this one seems more confusing. And especially after the pandemic we haven't really even been leaving the house

i did a similar cruise last September with my 92 year old mother we flew to Seattle and sailed back to Sydney.  Like you I was very nervous but it was a breeze.  So good infact we are doing it again.

6 hours ago, Goofytoo1 said:

I am on the telephone with Carnival right now.  Not getting answers. Do we need one?

YES you cannot enter Australia without a visa. They are easy, electronic and take only a few minutes.  The cost is $20 AUD (about 14 USD).  Make sure you use the correct visa site with " .gov.au"  in the address line.  Visas and citizenship (homeaffairs.gov.au)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

Thanks, 

Paul

Wear what you want, just don't be a slob....no offense.

I've worn Bermuda shorts, and a polo w/shoes

Typically I wear some pants like dark jeans and a polo with Vans

I wouldn't suggest a speedo/swim trunks/baggies with a wife beater and flip flops, "Thongs" in Australian, seriously.

5 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

I wouldn't suggest a speedo/swim trunks/baggies with a wife beater and flip flops, "Thongs" in Australian, seriously.

Me and my whole family wore flip flops and such to an elegant night and they just sat us in an adjacent room, lol.  However, we dressed up more next time so we didn't feel like outcast.  

On 3/23/2023 at 10:57 PM, mainecruisefan said:

On this cruise with the restrictions on domestic luggage/carry on on my economy flight, I will be travelling light and washing my shirts in the sink to dry on the "clothesline" in the shower. I pack 8 days of shirts/underwear/socks plus a dress shirt for if I book specialty restaurants. 2 pairs of shorts should keep me going in this tropical paradise. The last two times I didn't wear socks very often but I always wished I had more clean shirts. In many of the island ports you can get cool hawaiian shirts for $10 that are handmade and don't have labels. I supplement with those.

I'll wear a light jacket on the plane and hope I don't freeze when we get to seattle. Sneakers, sandals and water shoes... I've done this itinerary in reverse before twice. Life is good! The only time you will be cold is if the AC in your stateroom gets stuck on. If you get free laundry you are in better shape than me! Hope this helps.

I packed super light as well, I am bringing sine travel size tide detergent to do some laundry in the sink.  I had to forgo some of my liquids in my quart size bag but figured I'd make do in carnival's shop if I have to.  I was able to tightly roll up 11 days worth in my carry on and came out under 15 pound for my New Zealand restriction, Yay.   I hate it that I can't bring a standard back pack as my personal bag!  Again, thank God for the robes in the room, LMAO!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

YES you cannot enter Australia without a visa. They are easy, electronic and take only a few minutes.  The cost is $20 AUD (about 14 USD).  Make sure you use the correct visa site with " .gov.au"  in the address line.  Visas and citizenship (homeaffairs.gov.au)

yeah I had to get an ETA for both Australia and New Zealand since I have a connecting flight there.

12 hours ago, Goofytoo1 said:

Thank you. Carnival didn't know if we needed one.

You can't ask Carnival anything, my carnival travel agent didn't even know where Auckland was when she booked my flights, LOL.

On 3/25/2023 at 11:27 AM, EngIceDave said:

What is a wife beater? Yes thongs is our name for your flipflops. Your Speedos are called Budgie Smugglers here. Do you know our little Budgerigars [birds] Very popular cage birds, commonly known as budgies. Do you get the picture? the mind boggles. Kay

17 minutes ago, kaykayozzie said:

What is a wife beater? Yes thongs is our name for your flipflops. Your Speedos are called Budgie Smugglers here. Do you know our little Budgerigars [birds] Very popular cage birds, commonly known as budgies. Do you get the picture? the mind boggles. Kay

Budgies are parakeets for Americans. Are budgie smugglers very popular in Australia? My husband's dad in NZ wore them constantly.