South America

Janea24

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you decide to do this - private or with Oceania, do your research about where from you’d be flying and how long you’ll actually spend at the Nazca Lines plus how long it takes to fly to them.

We flew from the Airport in Pisco which is the port where the ship stopped. It was about a half hour each way from ship to airport (small bus with the historian) and less than a half hour flying each way to get to the Lines.

It was quite some time ago but I’m guesstimating that, once we reached the Lines, we spent about 45 minutes crisscrossing them. I assume it could be a bit more or less time there depending on how many folks lose their lunch 👀 (since the small Cessnas bank and turn back and forth many times to give everyone good views, anyone prone to air sickness may want to think this over).

I also remember that, when I researched DIY tours, the prices ranged from $100 to $300(+) with larger Cessnas and longer actual time at  the Lines accounting for the higher prices.

The Pisco airport appears to be the closest to the Lines. So, far less travel time than fly from Lima or drive from Lima then fly from the Pisco airport).

But, the bad news is you pay more for a better experience. I just looked up a Pisco Airport carrier that seems familiar - Nazca Flights - and their longer flight that lets you see at least a dozen major figures (similar to our experience) is $298 pp + airport tax. They have a shorter flight for about $100 pp but it sounds like it’s not as comprehensive (viewing far less of the well known figures).

So, be really careful about what you’re getting for whatever price you pay.

I’d have to dig through my old files to find what we exactly paid at the YWYW price on O in 2019. But, $350-375 pp strikes a familiar cord.

I've never done a flight over the Nazca Lines as a cruise ship shore excursion, but I've talked to people on board who did it, and can give my thoughts based on my knowledge of the lines.

I first flew over the lines in 1977 (actually did it twice that year -- at a cost of about $25), flying from the small airport in the town of Nazca at the south end of the pampa where the lines are located.  I did it from Nazca many more times in the 1980s through to around 2005 (I was last in the town a few months prior to Covid, but didn't bother to fly -- cost by then around $150 per person).  

In the late 1990s and in the first decade of the 21st century I flew several times from the small airport at Ica, about fifty miles north of the lines.  These flights were part of Archaeological Institute of America or private tours that I led -- we used a company called AeroCondor, with ten or twelve passengers on each plane.  Cost then was probably over a hundred U.S., but I don't really remember because the cost was built into the overall tour price (which I obviously didn't pay).  Those were pretty good flights -- longer and safer than the small planes from the Nazca airport.  

Also, after the 80s I was aware that flights were possible from Lima, but never tried from there.

Five or six years ago I toured the passenger terminal at Pisco (near the cruise port of San Martin).  At that time the new terminal was not quite finished but two companies were offering overflights of the lines from Pisco, using a portable office building as their terminal.  That airport was for many years been a major Peruvian Air Force base, with no real passenger facilities, although it was always the preferred alternate airport when Jorge Chavez in Lima had to close.  I've never flown from Pisco but people have told me that flights from there are good (albeit a bit longer than from either Ica or Nazca, the two closest airports to the lines).  I don't know anything about the companies that currently fly from Pisco.

That being said, I strongly suggest that, unless you plan a multi-day ground excursion south from Lima after (or before) your cruise, consider flying from Pisco.  Conceivably you could do it from Ica -- about sixty miles south of the San Martin cruise port.  But it would be long drives to and from in order to gain a few extra minutes over the lines.  Also, it would be impossible to get to the town of Nazca and fly from there in one day from the cruise port.  

Finally, I do need to say that if you do have a stop in San Martin on your cruise, and if you don't want to fly over the lines, there are plenty of other things to do there -- a boat ride out to the Islas Ballestras to see wildlife (birds, seals, penguins), or interesting nearby archaeology (there's a neat Inca site about an hour up the Pisco Valley, or an important pre-Inca museum very close to the cruise port) , or desert scenery on the Paracas Peninsula (national reserve), or visit a winery.  

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 4:28 PM, Moche1 said:

Local food is great -- Argentine steaks in Buenos Aires, King Crab in Ushuaia, German food in Puerto Montt, plus local wines everywhere. 

Moche; What restaurants would you recommend in each of those ports?

2 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Moche; What restaurants would you recommend in each of those ports?

For any town or city in Argentina, just ask at your hotel for the best steak place nearby -- I've never had a bad meal any place in Argentina, and some of the best have been in little hole-in-the-wall places in small towns.  (Can't say the same about Chile -- Chilean food in the 1980s and 1990s was terrible -- much better now.)

In Puerto Montt (and also Punta Arenas) you'll probably be on some sort of shore excursion that perhaps includes a snack or lunch -- so you won't have much choice.  If you go to Fruitilar or Puerto Varas out of PM, you'll definitely get to sample at least some German dishes.  If you are on your own in either place, again just ask around for the best local restaurant.

In Ushuaia, my go-to place is a small restaurant on the main street -- which runs parallel to the water about two or three blocks up the hill from the pier.  Turn right and go almost to the end -- look for "La Cantina de Freddy" (I may not have the name exactly right -- look for the tank of King Crab in the window.)  Three years ago I went there with another ship's lecturer and his wife plus two of the cast dancers -- the girls shared a King Crab whereas I had the seafood stew.  Photos attached.

Jim

Ushuaia king crab 01.JPG

Ushuaia king crab 02.JPG

Ushuaia king crab 03.JPG

Ushuaia seafood stew.JPG

On 9/3/2022 at 2:19 PM, pinotlover said:

Great we’ll see you aboard.

I’ve set up a group going to Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts in the Falklands.

Patrick is great.  And a hero of the Falklands War.   Volunteer Point is excellent too.   A highlight being in a 4x4 with a local resident who by trade is not a tour guide.   Enjoy!

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 2:19 PM, pinotlover said:

Great we’ll see you aboard.

I’ve set up a group going to Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts in the Falklands.

Patrick is great.  And a hero of the Falklands War.   Volunteer Point is excellent too.   A highlight being in a 4x4 with a local resident who by trade is not a tour guide.   Enjoy!

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

We did Buenos Aires to Santiago back in 2009 on Princess.  

Cruise experience sucked…but trip was incredible.  Our one and done Princess cruise…too bad my Dad was along with us for his only cruise trip.

Some highlights:

We spent a week pre cruise in Buenos Aires.  Rented an apartment in Recoleta.   Evita Museum is really nice.   Take in the Antique Market in San Telmo neighborhood.   Revoleta Cemetery.  Great food everywhere…especially empanadas and of course beef.   

Falkland Islands - trip out to Volunteer Point to see the Penguins.  You get so close.  Yet well marked where you can go so Penguins are protected.

Puerto Montt we went zip lining.   Great fun and great scenery.  Way out in the forest near Mt. Osorno.

Ushuaia we did a hike in Tierra del Fuego.   We experienced all four seasons on the four hour hike.   So beautiful!   And a cool experience to walk across the peat bogs…which ripple/roll as you walk.  Also did cruise up the Beagle Channel…unfortunately it poured the whole trip white low clouds/fog so didn’t see much.  ☹️

Montevideo -  very walkable city from the pier.   Nearby the pier is a food hall.   Find a stall where all the locals are crowded in and order a meat sampler….amazing food.

Punta Arenas did cruise out to Penguin Island - if you can’t do Volunteer Point this is a good option….but Volunteer Point is much bettter!

Would happily do a similar itinerary again….

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 4:11 PM, Moche1 said:

For any town or city in Argentina, just ask at your hotel for the best steak place nearby -- I've never had a bad meal any place in Argentina, and some of the best have been in little hole-in-the-wall places in small towns.  (Can't say the same about Chile -- Chilean food in the 1980s and 1990s was terrible -- much better now.)

In Puerto Montt (and also Punta Arenas) you'll probably be on some sort of shore excursion that perhaps includes a snack or lunch -- so you won't have much choice.  If you go to Fruitilar or Puerto Varas out of PM, you'll definitely get to sample at least some German dishes.  If you are on your own in either place, again just ask around for the best local restaurant.

In Ushuaia, my go-to place is a small restaurant on the main street -- which runs parallel to the water about two or three blocks up the hill from the pier.  Turn right and go almost to the end -- look for "La Cantina de Freddy" (I may not have the name exactly right -- look for the tank of King Crab in the window.)  Three years ago I went there with another ship's lecturer and his wife plus two of the cast dancers -- the girls shared a King Crab whereas I had the seafood stew.  Photos attached.

Jim

Ushuaia king crab 01.JPG

Ushuaia king crab 02.JPG

Ushuaia king crab 03.JPG

Ushuaia seafood stew.JPG

Now I'm hungry! Thanks for the info.

We are interested in this cruise as well, but we cannot sail more than 2 weeks due to family issues, and the shortest I see is 20 days. Celebrity and princess offer shorter durations (12-14 nights), but obviously I would prefer Oceania. Does Oceania ever offer shorter sailings to this destination?

Many thanks to all who have posted on this topic.  We will be first time Oceania cruisers, and first time visitors to SA this Jan/Feb on the Insignia for 48 days, so I'll be following all postings with interest.  We have just cleared the waitlist for the overland tour to Machu Pichu.  Does anyone have any experience with Oceania doing that particular tour?  I've already made notes on Penguin Island in Port Stanley, and Punta Arenas, and of course the Nazca Lines.  If anyone has any experience with tours on this itinerary that they feel are "must do" experiences, I'd be happy to hear about them.  Right now, we're planning on sticking to Oceania tours (even though many have said that private tours are cheaper). We've been on one ocean cruise and one European River cruise since the restart from Covid, and have sadly found that many places are still struggling with staffing issues, so Oceania tours may be the best choice for us at the moment.

Also, I understand that we are on the first two segments of the World Cruise, so if anyone has any insight into special activities, such as guest lecturers, that are available on these segments, that information would be appreciated.  Or if any other information comes to mind, that you feel would be helpful to us, please feel free to post!