Observations from the Poop Deck Seashore September

morpheusofthesea

49 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The next question is, I think, what is the "dominant social class" with the "cultural capital" that is being "passed down from generation to generation"?  "Acquired in educational establishments" ? 

No real 'need to point fingers'. We already know who we are by our attire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Quite a shock on the day that I saw two young men dressed in knee length dresses.  And the other students seem not to "blink an eye".

But the fact that you noticed them means that they achieved their objective. Had they been wearing slacks and a button-down shirt, you wouldn't have noticed nor remembered them at all. 

11 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

All opinions are welcome.  'Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder'. It boils down to upbringing.

"Provided that the dress code is written clearly, is not excessive or onerous, is applied in a consistent fashion, and does not obviously discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, and perhaps ethnicity, the code is constitutional and does not violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1965. A dress code that discriminated on the basis of gender would be struck down. However, dress codes that are consistent with social customs can be upheld. " 

"A practical international formality scale.

Classifications are divided into formal wear (full dress), semi-formal wear (half dress), and informal wear (undress). Anything below this level is referred to as casual wear, although sometimes in combinations such as "smart casual" or "business casual" in order to indicate higher expectation than none at all."

" Sociologist Pierre Bourdieu argues in his

treatise Distinction (1984), the dominant social classes tend to possess ..... "cultural capital".  In matters of dress, this capital manifests itself in the possession of refined taste and sensibilities that are passed down from generation to generation or are acquired in educational establishments."

I'd love to say I agree but it'll be a cold day in hell before I take the word of a French sociologist as fact.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

OK.  But, what is the 21st Century's "the dominant social class" with the "cultural capital" that will replace us? 

That'll be the Kardashians of this world, the Hollywood A Listers, the social media celebrities, YouTubers and Elon Musk!🤣🤣

1 hour ago, 77red96 said:

That'll be the Kardashians of this world, the Hollywood A Listers, the social media celebrities, YouTubers and Elon Musk!🤣🤣

Not as long as we still have the British Monarchy and their pomp and circumstance.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 77red96 said:

I'd love to say I agree but it'll be a cold day in hell before I take the word of a French sociologist as fact.

Then:

"Irish Clothing

Traditional Irish clothing for both men and women typically covers the entire body. Women wear long dresses, most often depicted in white and green, while men wear modest-colored hats with a small brim in the front, called flat caps, along with kilts, referred to as men's dresses. Irish attire involves using many layers, whether a vest or a scarf. However, the Irish people often viewed their clothing as a symbolic way to express themselves; simply, a scarf is not always a scarf."

Here is another point to take into consideration when on a cruise or going out to dinner at a fine restaurant. https://phys.org/news/2017-05-servers-well-dressed-diners-tippers.html

"Researchers at the University of Missouri have found that restaurant servers often use stereotypes to determine which customers will leave better tips. For servers, especially busy servers, they often have to make decisions about how to best devote their time and energy, so they look for ways to identify which customers will reward them the most for their service. The more professionally dressed a customer is, the more likely a server is to stereotype them as a good tipper, regardless of their race or gender." "Also, regardless of race, well-dressed men were identified as more likely to leave good tips compared to women, while casually dressed men were seen as the least likely of any group to leave good tips."

• Like 2

Something to keep in mind should one be considering coming back someday on board the same cruise ship. 

Do servers remember bad tippers?

“You don't have to be an extravagant tipper — but all the waiters remember if you're cheap,” Dublanica said. “A standard decent tip is 15 to 20 percent. But if you fail to tip a server an appropriate amount, they'll remember you."Apr 27, 2019

• Like 2

Perhaps there is another answer to why some of us take advantage while on vacations and act and dress rather differently than we do during the rest of the year. I propose this is the classic Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde scenario for some of us. "Dr Jekyll is a kind, well-respected and intelligent scientist who meddles with the darker side of science, as he WANTS to bring out his 'second' nature. He does this through transforming himself into Mr Hyde - his evil alter ego who doesn't repent or accept responsibility for his evil crimes (not tipping) and ways ( dressing inappropriately)"…

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

Having spent a good many years in the hospitality business, I can verify this assertion.

In the UK and Ireland it's usually the drunk fool trying to act up, the guy trying to pretend he is wealthy that does the tipping. The wealthy generally don't tip well if at all.

55 minutes ago, 77red96 said:

In the UK and Ireland it's usually the drunk fool trying to act up, the guy trying to pretend he is wealthy that does the tipping. The wealthy generally don't tip well if at all.

Who stated anything in the prior posts about being wealthy in order to tip appropriately ?

5 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

You also equate being a "drunk fool" in order to tip appropriately. Quite a philosophy.

I think you'll find I haven't mentioned the word appropriately anywhere. You are suggesting that only those who are well dressed can tip appropriately.

After such a good read I'm horrified that you actually think you are the oracle on class based on what clothes you wear and how you tip. You sound deluded.

To add even more insult to injury you have decided to tell an Irish man that the British Monarchy are the class setters! You sir would know more about a fish supper.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, no1talks said:

kent-brockman-insect-overlords.gif.72158851e2a04090a095764fce05bd34.gif

I wish I could accurately quote a passage from some scientist  that my Zoology professor read to us, but, it does somewhat like this:

In the light of a dying Sun, the last life form on Earth is an insect, preening its wings, in the glow of that dying Sun.  

Insects are an extremely adaptable Class Insecta.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

"Insects are an extremely adaptable..."

Quite so. We're lucky exoskeletons are such a drag on advancement. If they had been the first land animals with internal skeletons, we would never have arrived on the scene.

• Like 1