Is a Rapid NAAT Covid test acceptable for Canada?

dopey1200

9 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

NAAT is not an antigen test. It's a type of PCR. The results are generally rapid.

I was going to say the same thing - I don't think the one I'm talking about is an antigen. So this Rapid NAAT can be done within 72 hours of boarding time? But I haven't been assigned a boarding time yet & we leave this Saturday. This is very stressful!

NAAT is not a type of PCR. PCR is a type of NAAT. Both are types of a molecular test. You need a molecular test within 72 hours of boarding time or an antigen test within 2 days. Both need to be professionally administered, i.e. can't be self- administered. If you are boarding on Saturday, any time after 2 pm on Wednesday should be safe for a molecular test (PCR or NAAT). Or you can book a rapid antigen test for anytime Thursday or Friday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boulders said:

NAAT is not a type of PCR. PCR is a type of NAAT. Both are types of a molecular test. You need a molecular test within 72 hours of boarding time or an antigen test within 2 days. Both need to be professionally administered, i.e. can't be self- administered. If you are boarding on Saturday, any time after 2 pm on Wednesday should be safe for a molecular test (PCR or NAAT). Or you can book a rapid antigen test for anytime Thursday or Friday. 

Thank you @boulders! I was able to confirm this with somebody from HAL also. Got us both scheduled for rapid tests tomorrow afternoon. I couldn't imagine waiting up to 2 days for the results. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dopey1200 said:

This link says the NAAT are acceptable, but does that include rapid? (Or are they all rapid?) Has anyone used one recently? TIA

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

@boulders is absolutely correct in his earlier post.

I'm guessing that you're speaking of a Walgreen's rapid NAAT (they seem to come up a lot on the CC boards). I have not been able to pin it down, but the indications are that the Walgreen's rapid NAAT is likely the flavour called an RT-LAMP (which, despite the way the Canadian site makes it appear, is actually a NAAT, and quite acceptable within the 72 hour window).

Enjoy your trip! 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

If it's Walgreens Rapid NAAT test, they provide the results within 2-3 hours.  That's the point of the Rapid designation.  A regular PCR test takes more than 24 hours or longer for results.  And yes, there are two classifications of tests--antigen and NAAT, and PCR is a type of NAAT.  We've used the Rapid NAAT test 3-4 times and always they have the results available within 2-3 hours.  And if they haven't emailed the results to you within 3 hours, call the branch where you had the test done, let them know you haven't received the results, and ask them to get the results to you, or go by the branch; they'll print them out there.  Some pharmacy techs are just faster than others at getting after the processing and distribution of results.  So, you get the advantage of a PCR test in very quick time.

• Thanks 2